Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2001, 05:48 PM   #1
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Hello all, I was wondering if anyone can give me a clue on what the stats have to be for dual classing. I usually roll until I get something reasonable and then re-apportion as needed.

Thing is, I remember seeing someplace that you need a certain minimum for the main stat your second class will be when you dual- that is if I rolled up a fighter that I might want to dual to a mage, I need to keep intelligence in mind. But is there any set of parameters, like you have to be above (x) to dual?

I can't recall exact stats, but I did try to dual a pc (fighter) and ended up only having thief as an option (I know the int was 13 or 14).
Old 02-03-2001, 06:01 PM   #2
Gwyddion ap Don

Hi!

i think you need to be minimum of 17 in the new class to dual. Besides, remember that the max level spells a mage can learn/cast depends on intelligence. So at int=13, your max is a poor level 6 spell. 14/15 is level 7, 16/17 is 8, and (if you have the XP cap remover) you'll want 18 (for those juicy level 9 spells.

hope this helps

Old 02-03-2001, 06:52 PM   #3
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Thanks for the info, Gwyddion! I had a feeling it was something like that. I don't use the xp cap remover. At least not yet!

Problem is, I don't think I can get decent stats to fit TWO classes without cheating...sigh. I want to play through a few times (haven't finished ONE game, yet!) before doing any cheats.
Old 02-03-2001, 07:06 PM   #4
Gwyddion ap Don

No problem

If you want to do it legit, the best bet would be taking points from strength and charisma to put into intelligence. Charisma is worthless, since you get that handy little ring of human influence (OK it does take up one of your ring slots) Or you get Keldorn to do the talking (he's 18 already)
BTW Has anyone ever figured out why characters have only 1 finger on each hand? How are you supposed to wield a sword with half your hand missing? Bugs me. But I digress

Anyway, by sacrificing Charisma and some strength (since items to boost strength are common) and some wisdom (I think this gives saving throws, so be careful here) you should be able to get good stats where you need them. I think you might need a minimum of 13 strength to dual from a fighter. Otherwise just roll a few times to get a good pool of points. I've heard people say they've got a total of about 90 points total with a roll - average of 15! I don't have the patience for that, and at the end of the day it's strategy that gets you through.

I'd consider the XP cap remover though. Otherwise you just get frustrated when you max out (at least I did) and start getting sarcastic to the computer, which never seems to help.

Old 02-03-2001, 07:19 PM   #5
Armisael

You'll also need fifteen in the primary stat of your first class. Say you're a fighter dualling to a mage; you're going to need fifteen strength and seventeen intelligence at the very least.
And hey, you do know you can take points out of one stat and put them in another after a roll, don't you?

Old 02-03-2001, 07:26 PM   #6
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Thanks to both of you. I guess I maxed out the strength and dexterity/con which explains the low int. I knew there was a minimum, just couldn't find it in the manual.

How annoying is it to play a dual class (with magic wielder). Armor wise, I mean? I've played multi-class in BG1 (fighter/cleric) but never finished the game (IWD came along!).

And whereas, you can now rummage in your pack in mid battle, I noticed you cannot change armor!
Old 02-03-2001, 07:29 PM   #7
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Armisael: Yup, that's what I meant when I mentioned "re-apportioning" my rolls. Moving points around.
Old 02-03-2001, 07:31 PM   #8
Ignorant Armisael

Ah, yeah. Sorry, that bit must have flown in one eye and out the other. I blame it on all this pepto.

Old 02-07-2001, 02:00 PM   #9
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Pepto'll do it to you everytime. You need any fresh wastebaskets?

Gave up on dual class for the moment. Gonna try and finish ONE game with my skald as is, even though I'm not thrilled with the stats I settled for. Didn't know any better. Rolled a much better one for multi game with Charlie and turbovee, but we're having lag trouble when connected.
Old 02-07-2001, 02:42 PM   #10
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

Cloudbringer, if you want to dual into mage, you can always lower the WIS and CHR, if cleric, then lower INT and CHR. It is possible (with out cheating) to have rolls above 90, my berserker/mage is actually:
STR 18/99
DEX 18
CON 18
INT 18
WIS 08
CHR 09
There are many others who have rolls waaaaay (or somewhat....exaggerating) above 90, just be patient and play around with the dices.
Wisdom is only important if you plan to dual to cleric, and unless you are true neutral and want to dual to a druid, then have higher CHR.