Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2001, 12:49 PM   #11
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

You're right, you have to go up... and down if you screwed up or don't know where you're going
Ryanamur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2001, 12:53 PM   #12
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

On the "Dragonspire" trick (to avoid the ladder, but more so, to avoid that RIDICULOUS "swimming upstream" gambit), check out the "Best Hints" thread. I've got my particular shortcut/solution posted there.

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2001, 05:10 AM   #13
Radek
Red Dragon

@Wyvern, defensive spells: This happens in the wilderness, the casting seems to function well in dungeons. I am a soloist pixie so that I have to rely on the defensive magic heavily. Unable to wear heavy armor (the reason is the low carrying capacity, it is incorrect that a pixie cannot wear armor at all as we sometimes hear), I am trying Armorplate almost constantly, more precisely Armorplate + Bloodlust + Heroic Might + Illuminate + Spirit Eye + Haste (sometimes) + Merlin's Shield (sometimes).
Sometimes, I am almost unable to cast. Examples: immediately after leaving a town, the south of the Shurugeon Castle environment or Jathil's Burial Grounds area.

Game crashes: The D3D driver seems to be responsible for most of them. I experienced lower number of crashes after switching to the software driver.

Ladders: Perhaps I am too clumsy but "look down" method do not work for me. BUM! AAAAA! Another comment: if you hang on a ladder in the Old Millhouse and cannot continue up, try to make a step back - you will climb up (!) again.
Radek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2001, 06:56 AM   #14
Fantaghiro
Dungeon Master

Ladder, schmadders .... I thought my inability to negotiate my party down them was because I'm not the most co-ordinated person on this planet - glad to see others decided to take the fall, too. With Deadfall, it hardly even hurts anymore!

Getting back to the original question, what annoys me most (grrr...) is the damned shopkeepers/guildmasters going through the whole dialogue for each member of the guild when giving the quest, then reminding each one when they haven't completed the quest, then thanking each one when they do complete it. All in excruciating detal. Since my party members are all members of every guild, this makes a post-levelling-up shopping trip to town a very time-consuming activity. IMO the only ones who've got it right are the mayors. At least they just say thanks and hand over the money/exp points.

And the practically unreadable, quasi-medieval script - what's with that? And why is it that every utterance from a shopkeeper is just over a line, by one or two words?

But, I LOVE this game! I should get outta here and play it!
Fantaghiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2001, 08:10 AM   #15
mammawlin
Drizzt Do'Urden

Hey Black Knight! How's it going neighbor? I live in Whitehall close to Town & Country shopping center. Are you a student at OSU? I am a retired Admin. Secretary. Nice to see you here.

Mammawlin
p.s. Never thought I'd be saying this "I miss the BUGS!"
mammawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2001, 10:22 AM   #16
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
On the "Dragonspire" trick (to avoid the ladder, but more so, to avoid that RIDICULOUS "swimming upstream" gambit), check out the "Best Hints" thread. I've got my particular shortcut/solution posted there.

-Sazerac
You can also swim backward (using the keypad) which, for some unknown reason, greatly reduces the current. You still get a bit of resistance but not near as much as swimming forward.
Ryanamur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2001, 10:35 AM   #17
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Radek: I have noticed that some spells almost always require you to cast them on another person, especially the area spells such as Armored Realm and Healing Realm. That may be the problem. You say, however, that you're using Armorplate...have you tried Armored Realm? It may give the same problem, though.

BTW, I've never had any problem with picking up objects from the ground. You just have to be close enough.

My biggest beef: Treasure chests that have a ring or an amulet that's almost invisible, so that you have to run your cursor over it for about 5 minutes real time to try to find it. The high contrast treasure background in the chest is the culprit. Bad design! Bad, bad design!

Oh well! It's a trifle.

-Sazerac
Old 05-04-2001, 12:37 PM   #18
green_athena
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ok my initial comments on the game . . .

1) man oh mania does character creation need a simple "Reroll" button! If they did only ONE grand upgrade to the game --this is the one I'd love. Get to the points screen, and just hit "reroll", instead of spending so much time and effort having to back out of 4 or 5 screens to get it to reroll your chances.... but could be I'm just stupid and haven't found a better way. sigh

2) there needs to be an actually noticable difference between setting game spawn rate at rare to "often". I've got it at often, and still I have a very hard time finding anything to kill. Initially in the game, I can only go one direction without low-level characters getting instantly smited (towards crypt) ... but it's very hard trying to find 20 things for a barbarian initiate to kill. Takes FOREVER. Spawn often makes the game spawn about medium-level it seems. . .

3) I agree about the whole speel in the guilds and shops ... I wish they'd give an option to just Shut Up and let us shop. For every stinking character it gets annoying to wait for the text to finish. . .

4) some of the controls do need some help ... picking up items, moving around (like ladders, etc) shouldn't be any trouble at all.

All in all, though I don't find that there's a whole lot to "do" in the game, I do find this is the best Character building game I've ever grabbed hold of. I LOVE what they've done with character development ... so many choices, and they're actually Useful skills ... very individualistic. Bravo!

------------------
"when I escaped I didn't feel like I got away..."
green_athena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2001, 12:53 PM   #19
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

green_athena: There are two areas where you can get a lot of monsters for the barb quest:

1: Go just southeast of Valeia. Look for a break in the trees. There's a nest of about 12 worgurs there. Have the barb-in-training kill them all by him/herself. Usually, you should get some bats or troll guni's walking around as well.

2: Head over to the Snake River, or down to the lake, and go swimming. The piranha come in schools over there. They're harder to hit, but they respawn fairly quickly.

With this, you should be able to complete the barbarian quest fairly easily.

-Sazerac
Old 05-04-2001, 12:55 PM   #20
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

One other thing, green_athena: If you're not running the patched version of the file, you can click on any other action and the shopkeeper will quit talking. For example, you can click on "Buy" or "Sell" and the shopkeeper will immediately switch to that mode. Unfortunately, in the patched version, this won't work, and you have to wait through the entire spiel before you can do anything.

-Sazerac