Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2004, 08:56 PM   #1
Megachihuahua
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have the best sword in the game now, or at least the one that dones the most damage, according to its description. I was pissed off by the restriction on it, thought. All that hacking to get it and I can't use it? So I need Keldorn. Here is my party:
Me, half-elf fighter (why did I choose to be a half-elf, or worse, a fighter?)
Keldorn (33% percent of my parties kills. I love that blue ax!)
Anomen
Jaheria
Jan (very funny, my invaluable thief)
Edwin (How did I play my first game without him?)

I am reluctant to release anyone. Anomen and Jaheria I keep out of nessecity: I need two people with resurtection power, if the other dies (only moderate fighters, so happens often). If I could get around that, I'd let Anomen go. Keldorn is extremely powerful, and he has this nifty throwing ax he can use forever; because he is an grandmaster, I don't know if Keldorn with the new sword could do as much damage. Jan I keep for his theiving skills, and booted Yoshi because Jan had spells. As for Edwin, I think most people agree I can never let him go.
Can a paladin dual class? If not, who can I boot? Or maybe boot two people? Valygar is dead, btw.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:22 PM   #2
mad=dog

One of these phreak power parties with both Edwin and Keldorn. Ah well I have seen worse.
Why was it you wanted to reform. It didn't come across clearly.
Paladins cannot dual. Seems completely idiotic to me since fighter kits can, but there you go. Paladins are essentially from before kits and a fighter "flavour". In my opinion no kits whatsoever should be able to dual.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:41 PM   #3
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

The first thing you need to do is learn how to spell Korgan. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

You can either lose Korgan or one of the Anomen/Jaheira duo. Either way, you lose something, but you gain something different. Very few of the NPCs can be said to be truly "better" than any other--the only exception that I can think of is that Imoen stomps all over Nalia.

But getting back on topic,
Option 1: Drop Korgan. He's the best Tank in the game--the fact that he's a Dwarf with 19 CON means there's nobody who can get better Saving Throws, and his hitpoints are tough to beat too. And as you mentioned, he cuts a mean swath with an Axe. His only flaw is his middling DEX, which is easily remedied with an item, or a few carefully hoarded Potions. Losing him would mean sacrificing the hardiest fellow you're ever likely to have on your side, but happily the remaining Tanks--Anomen, Jaheira, Keldorn and yourself--are more than enough to handle whatever comes up.

Option 2: Drop Anomen. He Dualed a bit too soon to be a true ass-kicker in combat, but he's close enough, and being a full Priest who can still get up to Grandmastery in a weapon is nothing to sniff at. Dropping him would mean losing half your Healing power, as well as many Cleric-only Priest spells such as Holy Smite and Chaotic Commands....but at least you've got a Rod of Resurrection to fall back on. (Which you do, don't you?)

Option 3: Drop Jaheira. Pretty much the same as Anomen. She can't get up to Grandmastery, but she can get Warrior HLAs (and a lot of them, too) once you start hitting ToB levels. Losing her would mean sacrificing those great Druid-only spells like Call Lightning and Insect Plague, but then at least you've got a Rod of Resurrection. I should also note that the selection of Druid weapons frankly sucks, compared to the kinds of things that Clerics can tote around.

Keldorn: On the whole, one great character. His True Sight and Dispel Magic abilities mean that any spellcaster you fight might just as well give up and die as soon as Keldorn walks into a room (unless you've got Tactics installed, that is). He's best as a backup Tank, since his weapon proficiencies don't lean towards carrying a Shield....but he can do that too in a pinch. An absolute joy to watch as he demolishes spellcasters of all stripes. Don't think that not having Grandmastery is a terrible handicap, Keldorn's still got the THAC0 to get the job done.
Old 06-08-2004, 03:51 PM   #4
Zarr
Symbol of Cyric

Good post Six but I have one nitpick...

Druids can cast chaotic commands. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Now if only they could cast holy smite