Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2002, 10:47 PM   #1
Daniel
Symbol of Cyric

Has anyone ever bought any of the computer books from the for Dummies range? I was wondering if they are any good. I recently bought flash MX, I have finished all the tutorials that are shipped with the program but they are poor and leave somthing to be desired. Anyway I was considering buying flash MX for dummies and wondered what you think of the books are they worth the money, because they certainly are not cheap.
Old 08-04-2002, 02:50 AM   #2
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I have never buyed one of those books but i think they are pretty good! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-04-2002, 04:17 AM   #3
Zidane
Manshoon

There are loads of tutorials out there on the net.

Search for Flash tutorials,

I have flash 4 and Dreamweaver 4 and there are lots of tutorials about.

I took a course in Dreamweaver though and am trying to learn flash now, luckily a couple of the guys at work use it all the time and give me lots of tips. (I work in graphics and design). I can do very simple things, but I get confused on the timeline, layer bit when there is a lot involved.

I mastered Dreamweaver so I will master Flash (Grand Master Flash - geddit... sorry)

Lady Zidane
Old 08-04-2002, 04:26 AM   #4
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Yes. They`re worth it. Definately.
They do not expect you to have any experience at all with computers, nor do they expect you to have even looked at whatever other manuals you will have lying around. And they explain it in English. Not technojargon.
The "Idiot`s Guide" series is also quite good. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-04-2002, 08:52 AM   #5
Daniel
Symbol of Cyric

Thanks alot for the info, I might fork out the money after all.

Quote:
Originally posted by Zidane:
There are loads of tutorials out there on the net.

Search for Flash tutorials,

I have flash 4 and Dreamweaver 4 and there are lots of tutorials about.

I took a course in Dreamweaver though and am trying to learn flash now, luckily a couple of the guys at work use it all the time and give me lots of tips. (I work in graphics and design). I can do very simple things, but I get confused on the timeline, layer bit when there is a lot involved.

I mastered Dreamweaver so I will master Flash (Grand Master Flash - geddit... sorry)

Lady Zidane
I know there are thousands of tutorials on line but the majority of them are for either flash 4 or flash 5 there is a lack of MX tutorials, and the ones that I do find also assume you have a lot of previous flash experience and so can be quite daunting for a newbie. Although the tutorials at flashkit are very good.
Old 08-04-2002, 08:57 AM   #6
skywalker
Banned User

It depends on who writes it and what level you are. Some of them are pretty bad like the one about upgrading and repairing PCs. I would suggest you read before you buy. To some people they may be helpful, but for others they may seem pretty basic and therefore useless.

Mark
Old 08-04-2002, 10:20 AM   #7
Grimslade
Drow Warrior

Yes, they are quite good, although the differ with their respective authors.

Really good book guides are the "Easy" series. They are very informative, with easy, step by step instructions and loads of pictures so that you never get stuck. They are probably aimed at absolute beginners, but experienced PC users can still get alot out of them.

Check 'em out!