Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2004, 06:46 PM   #1
Vampire

Hi I am completely new to Morrowind but not to the Neverwinter Nights, BG Saga and IWD series.

I just don't know anything about Morrowind but hear its RPG content is excellent.

I have a few questions below that would love to be answered!

1) It is generally agreed that wizards are the most versatile at high levels in D&D, is this tru in Morrowind? I am a power player.

2) What is the level cap and how do I know how much experience I have?

3) My mini map won't work. The larger area map works but the local area doesn't. Also the lil figure of myself in the inventory box doesn't show up either Otherwise the graphics is good and smooth

4) Seems similar to Wizardry 8 to me, are they related?

5) Tips?

6) I really like the Rogue/Wizard Class in D&D, can that be achieved here?

Weisi
Old 05-26-2004, 08:29 PM   #2
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
I've never played a magic-user properly in Morrowind, so I can't help you there.

You don't get experience at all. Instead, whenever you use skills you work towards raising them by a point; each level up requires 10 points of raising major/minor skills. So, for instance, if you have axe as a major skill, and you use your axe successfully you will eventually raise your axe skill by one point. 10 of those in any combination of major/minor skills will level you up, where you can raise your attributes (strength etc) by an amount proportional to the amount you have raised skills that correspond to those attributes. So if you raise your alchemy skill by 5, you might get to raise your intelligence by 2 (or something, don't know exactly the numbers ). Killing stuff etc doesn't give you experience, just practice using your skills. The highest level I think is something like 87 - basically when you've raised all your major/minor skills to 100 that's the highest level you can reach (there are tricky things you can do, but that's fairly high enough I think ).

Tips? Walk about and explore and practice your skills. Join as many guilds as will have you and don't get overwhelmed by the scope of the game because it's huge and easy to get sidetracked and forget about stuff you're supposed to do (like save the world - that's not a spoiler, every game involves some sort of worldsaving I've found ).

You can be whatever combination you want - rogue/wizard is a good way to go. Create your own character at the start by putting together a combination of major/minor skills that fit.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:57 PM   #3
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Quote:
1) It is generally agreed that wizards are the most versatile at high levels in D&D, is this tru in Morrowind? I am a power player.
No, wizards are probably the hardest class to play with and the weakest class. Once you have a fighter with a large two handed weapon, especially if its enchanted you can romp through the game. Wizards suffer from limited magicka, weak spells (unless you make your own) and all the usual limitations. I wouldn't choose it for your first outing, although i'm certainly enjoying my wizard character now. Just remember that you can completely define your class, so there is nothing to stop your fighter deciding to train up some magic ability...the flexibility is fantastic, and you are by no means 'stuck' in the class you choose

Quote:
3) My mini map won't work. The larger area map works but the local area doesn't.
Could you be more specific about what you mean by 'not working'?

Quote:
5)tips?
At the very beginning of the game, you'll be given papers and told to visit a certain somebody. It's worth doing that near the start because he'll give you money to buy some kit which will be a real help when you're poor. Apart from that, join the thieves guild first (assuming your skills qualify) - its in the same city as the above contact - you can use that to get bounties off your head cheaply, and then pick a guild and take it from there.

[ 05-26-2004, 08:59 PM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 02:00 AM   #4
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

2) no level cap, someone got as high as level 500ish.

3) look at your map, there's this local/world button in it. click it to siwtch between local or world map.

4) no, morrowind is like Diablo 2 in First person view. or like Arx fatalis is you played that.

5) tips? save often, Morrowind got bugs and usually may crash you back to windows.

6) is this game, you can becomne whatever you want, you can become rogue/sorcerer if you want, just put the appropriate skills into major or minor skills.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 02:18 AM   #5
Oruboris

The tiny map, pic, spell and skill list on the inventory screen can be enlarged by dragging the frames: helps a ton, may even be related to why you aren't seeing your picture.

The skill list has a line that tells your level. Clicking on that will tell you how many points you've earned towards your next level.

Some similarity to Wiz 8, but its all style, not substance. Oh, and the fact that both are successors to legendary games, so there's a lot of backstory and history. Another similarity: magic classes are tougher to develope and play than fighters.

Tips?
>If ya wanna be a mage, you'd better pick atronach as your birth sign.
>Steal everything from the building you first enter [except for the room with the 2 guys in it] and sell it to the only merchant in town. Buy a scroll of Ondusi's unhinging, use it to break into the locked Imperial legion building by the water front [save first: can be tough to do without being caught]. Steal, sell most of it: early on, a good bankroll and some decent equipment is key.

>Join everything [with the possible exception of the Morag Tong]. All of 'em offer fun missions, training, etc., as soon as you can. You can work on several missions for different groups simultaneously. You usually don't have to complete any mission you really dislike, but that particular person won't give you another until you do. You can, however, go to his counterpart in another town and do missions for them. Its a good idea to save before asking for a mission from anyone, just in case. Some missions given by npcs will NOT be offered a second time.

>Unless you are REALLY married to the idea of a pure mage, get a bow and some arrows asap, practice shooting at mudcrabs: good ranged weapon skills makes the game much more fun.

Oru
Oruboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 03:41 AM   #6
Vampire

Followup:

Thanks!!! [img]smile.gif[/img]

I am currently stuck on he smuggler's cave at the start. Can't seem to beat anything more than the guy at after the first door.

WHERE DO YOU SLEEP IN THIS GAME????? Aghaaa!

My LOCAL mini map is always pitch black
I have to rely on the world map to navigate which is impossible, always running almost to some other city and don't even realise it.

Oh I found a really cool magic sword in my first few minutes of the game hahaha...

accidentally wondered into the wild and there was a dead wizard there with all his loot [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-27-2004, 04:48 AM   #7
promethius9594
Drizzt Do'Urden

yeah, okay, you found the dead wizard. there are two places to sleep, in a bed or in the wilds.

you cant just sleep in any bed: you have to sleep in a public bed. in seyda neen there is a public bed in the census building, where you chose your character. in balmora once you join the fighters guild, you can sleep in their bunk room. otherwise you have to leave the town (it will load a new area) and sleep out in the woods... things can attack you though, so its good to have a powerful spell or weapon OUT when you go to sleep.

as far as tips, i'm playing again after beating it and wizards are alot harder (especially to play true to) since they have very limited spell strength/points to cast spells. the first time i played the game i did so as an assasin/theif with alot of sneak, but my character can cast the spells he needs because you can get trainers to help teach you skills. thus you dont really need to worry about being a wizard specifically because you can learn those skills later. here is a pretty good walkthrough for seyda neen, minus the wizard who fell from the sky who you seem to have found already: (SPOILERS)
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
talk to some people in town and note that the tax collector in town is missing. go west from town (not on the road) and look around... theres a body out there in the wilderness pretty close to town. loot the body and DONT use the gold. return to the office of census and excise (where you started the game) and go talk to the old guy who gave you the papers. when he asks give him all the money. he will offer you MORE money to find the killer. go and talk to people in town and you'll be directed to the lighthouse to talk to the lady who lives there. talk to her and she'll drop the name of the killer. go to his shanty hut (behind the tradehouse) and talk to him about it. tell him you simply have to do justice, NOT that you will let him go. he'll attack. kill him and loot his house. take the ring back to the lighthouse lady. she'll give you some potions. talk to the old guy in the census building and he'll pay you 500 septims.

also, i dont know if you found the ring in the census and excise building, but if not you should go and get the ring of healing and then talk to the elfish looking character named fargoth. give him the ring back. go and talk to the people upstairs in arriles tradehouse and one will tell you that he needs to find out where fargoth is hiding money from him. go to the top of the lighthouse and wait until 10 pm. stand there until morning (go get some coffee or a snack while you wait). leave the lighthouse and go down to the little green pond in the area with the shanty shacks. in the middle is a tree stump. there you will find fargoths money and ring. go to the dude upstairs in the trade office and he lets you keep half the money and the ring. use the ring to heal yourself in the bandit cave so that you can continue to fight. as a magister, you won't have strong enough spells to handle the bandit cave right away, so you will need to obtain a good weapon (hopefully you chose a weapon skill as one of your majors/minors and used it for the tax collector quest). there is some decent loot in there. dont forget to look EVERYWHERE for things, because some loot is hidden in, say grassy patches with skeletons lying in them.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:49 AM   #8
Oruboris

The guys in the smuggler's cave are odd, IMHO: for some reason, the second one [fireball casting wizard] kept doing in one of my characters till I got rid of the iron sheild. Dunno why. If you have any marksmanship, you can do him a bit of damage from far away, then close with him quickly and start slicing: he's only really dangerous when he's in the middle ground, and hasn't got many health points. [This is true of most 'ranged attack' opponents you'll meet].

Also, heal completly after taking out the first person. You may want to see if the merchant has any attack spell scrolls.

If you play a breton born under the atronach, you have VERY high resistance to magic. Bretons also have a 'once a day' special ability, dragonskin, that really helps early in the game.

And if you pick 'restoration' as a major skill [possibly as a minor, too], you get 'hearthheal' as a begining spell: a very good healing spell for the amount of manna it requires.

If you choose 'conjuration' as a major/minor, you get 'summon ancesteral ghost' as a beginning spell. They don't do much damage, but they do distract a certain number of attacks...

You can sleep in the bed of any group you belong to-- temple, guilds, etc.-- and some inns have beds for rent.

When provoking a fight with ANYONE, don't just wait till they say they are going to attack, LET THEM GET IN THE FIRST BLOW, or it can count against you.

HTH
Oru

[ 05-27-2004, 10:55 AM: Message edited by: Oruboris ]
Old 05-27-2004, 03:45 PM   #9
promethius9594
Drizzt Do'Urden

oru, i think with the GotY edition that is changed such that when they say "goodbye" or "now your going to get it" then its okay. i just always try to talk to them again and if it says "this character is in combat" then you can hit them. i think maybe you didnt taunt them enough and thats where you had a problem... you have to succeed at taunting them at least three times.
Old 05-28-2004, 04:08 AM   #10
Oruboris

Yeah I do have an early, much patched and modded edtion.

Its just that I blamed for an unprovoked attack for hitting the first of the Camona guys AFTER getting the 'official goodbye'-- Made me gunshy, so to speak...

Oru