Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2003, 04:31 PM   #1
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Here in Virginia, about 40 minutes ago, we actually had an earthquake. I didn't even know! I thought my cat was on my chair and had her claw hung up or something, as I felt a slight shaking, almost like a vibration. Only felt like it was my chair, but when I looked back my cat was nowhere to be seen! I didn't really think much of it until just now the news said that West Virginia had an earthquake, and it was felt all over Virginia, so that is what it was!

Earthquakes are VERY rare here, crazy stuff!

So anybody have any of their own earthquake experiences?

[ 12-09-2003, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: ladyzekke ]

Reality Show Recaps
Old 12-09-2003, 04:42 PM   #2
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
Here in Virginia, about 40 minutes ago, we actually had an earthquake. I didn't even know! I thought my cat was on my chair and had her claw hung up or something, as I felt a slight shaking, almost like a vibration. Only felt like it was my chair, but when I looked back my cat was nowhere to be seen! I didn't really think much of it until just now the news said that West Virginia had an earthquake, and it was felt all over Virginia, so that is what it was!

Holy crap, they are VERY rare indeed! Check this out: A FREAKING 4.5 too!

Magnitude 4.5 - VIRGINIA
2003 December 9 15:59:14 ET
15 mi SE of Columbia, VA...
28 miles W from Richmond, VA...
104 miles SSW from Washington, DC...

[ 12-09-2003, 04:43 PM: Message edited by: Ziroc ]

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 12-09-2003, 04:46 PM   #3
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Wow. A Earthquake hit Oklahoma too today...

I have a bad feeling that this will wake up the Fault that runs near through West Kentucky or even one in NEW YORK! (Hope not, but it could happen so easy).

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 12-09-2003, 04:56 PM   #4
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Oh man! Hey, LadyZ...if you need a place to stay...we're close by and could use a nanny for two children!
Old 12-09-2003, 05:01 PM   #5
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Wow didn't know it was 4.5 Ziroc! Again we never get quakes here, and if we do I'm sure it is something tiny that nobody ever notices.

Larry - No that's OK LOL, I think I managed to survive the vibration! [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

Reality Show Recaps
Old 12-09-2003, 05:27 PM   #6
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Wow! That's a bit of excitement I can generally do without!

I've been through one earthquake out in California about ten years ago. I was out there for training, and they covered "what to do when an earthquake hits". I remembered to get to a safe place, preferably outdoors.

I was watching TV in my hotel room one afternoon when I heard a semi going by outside. It didn't stop, and I noticed the doors on the armoire the TV was in were swaying... and that the ceiling fan (above me and on, because it was hot) was also swaying. I was on the third floor... with no decent elevators (a no-no) and tiny staircases.

I headed over to the doorway and figured my body would at least be well-preserved, if things went badly.

Made it through with no major challenges, but it was a piece of excitement I'm not interested in repeating any time soon [img]smile.gif[/img]

Glad you (and even your kitty) are safe, LZ.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 12-09-2003, 05:42 PM   #7
Arvon
Unicorn

Welcome to the club, we get them all the time. At least we don't get hurricanes

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Old 12-09-2003, 06:11 PM   #8
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:

So anybody have any of their own earthquake experiences?
they are freaky if you have never felt one before, I rember a few years ago, about the same thing happened to me, I did not find out until the next day at work, people thought I was crazy, lol, we lived by railroad tracks, so we figured a train had derailed or something, and you guys got a 4.5, wow, you are lucky it did not do major damage
Old 12-09-2003, 06:22 PM   #9
GForce

4.5 eh? Not bad. We had one a while back that was 6.8. Man is this world rocking or what. Even the weather and the Solar flares are getting it on. Woo hoo! Sorry, sometimes I just like a little calamity to stir things up but not if it takes a life. No siree! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-09-2003, 06:35 PM   #10
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

I've had people tell me we have earthquakes near the southern Indiana border, though I never seem to feel them. Glad everything is alright Z, I've never been in an earthquake before but I know they're scary stuff to go through.