Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2002, 12:21 PM   #1
Nas'Greth
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Greetings,

I'm current in Upper Dorn's Deep, in the Tiers of the Dead. I'm wondering, when would be a good time to do the expansion? Right after finishing Wyrm's Tooth? As soon as I enter Wyrm's Tooth?

You see, I want to have my first encounter with 'Giants' to be memorable; as such, I figured it would be best to do so within the original Icewind Dale campaign rather than HOW or TOTL.

I'm trying to fit Heart of Winter into the original plot as elegently as possible, so that it doesn't create an overly ridiculous time gap in the plot (rather, I want to create the least ridiculous time gap in the plot), and so that the challenge is adequetely balanced, both for Heart of Winter and Trials of the Luremaster, and for Lower Dorn's Deep when I finally arrive (or Wyrm's Tooth -- whichever the case may be.)

Thanks in advance for any assistance!
Old 06-29-2002, 01:00 PM   #2
andrewas
Harper

I did HoW and ToL right after Wyrms tooth - and it was very hard at some points, but doable. Party was level 10-11 at that point.

I finished ToL yesterday and HoW today, although i'll have to re-fight the last battle due to my only raise dead spell being disrupted so I had to leave too much behind.

Welcome to IW by the way.
Old 06-29-2002, 03:11 PM   #3
Albromor
Mephistopheles

It has been a long time since I played so I can't remember the names of the chapters, but the way I did it was play through the next to last chapter and then go to HoW. You'll be glad you have the higher levels, especially with Burial Island. I hope you have a good cleric or two! A couple of mages wouldn't hurt either! I did HoW right up to its last chapter, then did TotL, went back and finished HoW, and then returned to IWD. As I look at it, no matter when you decide to go, there will be *some* disruption in the time line, but the later the better, IMO. By the way, one thing HoW does better than IWD is the role-play options. You can get tons of experience depending on your dialogue choices and action choices. Trust me on this!
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2002, 10:50 PM   #4
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Spoilers within:

I stayed with IWD all the way thru Lower DOrn's Deep EXCEPT for the battle with RBP. Once you destroy the idol, that is a good time to start HOW.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 10:22 PM   #5
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Note that once you embark on the end part of IWD, there's no way to start HoW from your game - you'll have to start an "expansion only" game.

You will need to finish HoW before you finish IWD.

Similarly, ToLM can only be started in Lonelywood (HoW starting area) and must be finished before you finish HoW, as you will be unable to return to Lonelywood.

Come to think of it, once you start ToLM, you have no choice but to finish it as you can't return to Lonelywood until you've finished the expansion to the expansion.

Happy hunting!
Old 07-05-2002, 08:30 AM   #6
Spanner_razor
Elite Waterdeep Guard

i started HOW as soon as i could my party were at about 9-10 and it was quite hard.I had to use loads of area affect spells but it's certainly doable.My advice is to get your party to 12 say and then do as you will enjoy it a lot more.But in the end it's up to you.You could try going in at the moment and if it's too hard wait a bit.
Spanner_razor is offline   Reply With Quote