Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2006, 09:08 AM   #21
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

A drug that just makes you feel refreshed is would probably be lethal with prolonged use. Sleep is really needed, and unless some drug can actually do whatever sleep does, it'll just make you ignore the symptoms.

I would really like to know what kind of side effects those who sleep 4 hours a day suffer of.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:17 AM   #22
ZFR
Legion Symbol

And I want to know if a mage using this drug can rememorize his spells properly after such short rests.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:25 AM   #23
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Dear Doomsayers
Before you start unleashing your wisdom upon us small folk, teaching us how futile it is to try and advance what mother nature has created, and how we will die if we try to use the drug, please please read up on it a bit.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:37 AM   #24
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

Bozos of Bones: After reading that (exepth the bits about patents and stuff) I still think it would be unwise to use that stuff for extended periods of time.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:55 AM   #25
Legolas
Jack Burton

There's no way to test for the effects of long-term exposure or rare but serious side effects except by, well, having a lot of people use the drug for a long period of time. The fact there haven't been any serious toxicological issues yet doesn't mean it's safe, but there's also no rule whatsoever stating that all drugs to bad things to people in the prescribed dosage.
It looks to be a promising drug (or line of drugs) which I'm sure will be a benefit to a good many people.

However, it should be a drug for those with a suitable medical condition. The article's suggestion that we might one day treat healthy people as 'ill' because they sleep 'too much' and therefore that we should all be on those drugs I think is just plain wrong.
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 04:04 PM   #26
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

It's been in use for 7 years, Seriously. How can you guys insist "there might be untested side effects". Don't you think that in 7 years of repeated uses side effects would have shown in people?
Luvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 04:53 PM   #27
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

There are sometimes long-term side effects, as in years... or ones that soem people don't show.

aka Loc der Graf, Quillruke
Dragonshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 05:01 PM   #28
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

That keyboard you are using, how long have you been using it? Are you sure it isn't radioactive? Maybe it's injecting you with minute amounts of encapsulated vitriol every time you click on a button?

I mean seriously! For 7 years, if there weren't any(ANY) symptoms of a disease, much less a disease itself, it's pretty much a safe bet a product is safe to use. Nothing takes 7 years to display the first medical signs noticeable on a checkover.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:34 PM   #29
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

I use coffee works for me. Three or four cups on a friday or Saturday at night lets me stay up till the wee hours of the morning playing some game. Then my son wakes up at 8 or 9 so I get about 4 hours sleep on weekends as my wife will not let me sleep in. Basically because I choose my game over going to bed at 9:00 with her that is my punishment . I mean I give her Sunday and Wednesday nights, I mean if I were to go to bed at 9:00 every night I wouldn't get to play much.

[ 11-21-2006, 05:37 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 06:09 PM   #30
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Bozos of Bones:
That keyboard you are using, how long have you been using it? Are you sure it isn't radioactive? Maybe it's injecting you with minute amounts of encapsulated vitriol every time you click on a button?

I mean seriously! For 7 years, if there weren't any(ANY) symptoms of a disease, much less a disease itself, it's pretty much a safe bet a product is safe to use. Nothing takes 7 years to display the first medical signs noticeable on a checkover.
Of course. Which is why smoking can't hurt you! Nothing shows up for ten years or so!
So who needs to live till they're 40! If they take these drugs at age 20, and by thirty they're fine, what does it matter if there's sudden deterioration?

http://www.hughwilson.com
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote