Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2001, 06:15 PM   #31
Lord Shield

I find it amusing the names that mediums and suchlike select to attract their clients. Count De Germaine is one of my favourites:
There are several myths/rumours of immortals on Earth. For instance, Ahaseurus the Jew was cursed to wander Earth until Armageddon for belating Jesus
Count De Germaine was an alchemist who claimed to have discovered the elixir of life. He met people at different stages of their life and, though 60 years might pass for them, he stayed the same age!
I haven't aged in the last 10 years, but I need to go some to match him and the jew!
Old 05-09-2001, 07:56 PM   #32
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Avalon;
Moni, that was a very interesting story. I love discussing this subject and there's nothing wrong with people having different beliefs than you have. Would love to have a deeper discussion with you about this.
Lady Avalon,
My E-mail address is available through my profile here if you would like to write me. What I posted does not cover my whole perspective on religion and the afterlife but it is the basics at least. I have read Shirley McClaine but not Sylvia Brown, although I do know who she is. Any thoughts on John Edwards ability to communicate with the dead?

Moni

------------------
Old 05-09-2001, 08:04 PM   #33
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Lord Shield wrote:
Quote:
There are several myths/rumours of immortals on Earth. For instance, Ahaseurus the Jew was cursed to wander Earth until Armageddon for belating Jesus
Lord Shield, was that the basis of the legend of the "Wandering Jew"? I've often heard of it, but never heard the full story. Fascinating if so!

Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2001, 10:20 PM   #34
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

yes, i believe in an afterlife. i find it rather hard to believe that we live here for 0-120 years, then die and just rot. there has to be something more, which means theres some life after this. i dont pretend to KNOW that there is one, but i do say i BELIEVE in one. im not sure if its Heaven and Hell or just reincarnation, but there is a life after this one, im pretty sure of this one.
SSJ4Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 07:32 AM   #35
Lord Shield

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
Lord Shield wrote:
Lord Shield, was that the basis of the legend of the "Wandering Jew"? I've often heard of it, but never heard the full story. Fascinating if so!

Yep. I was so intrigued with that story, I gave Ahaseurus a walk-on part in a campaing I ran where the characters were to face-off the Anti-christ at Armageddon-time (DC Heroes system)
Old 05-10-2001, 08:08 AM   #36
texhorse
Elite Waterdeep Guard

This was a superb question. I definitely believe that once we shuffle off this mortal coil, we shall all be destined for a better place with God.
texhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 10:47 AM   #37
Lord Shield

I wouldn't want to go to heaven or hell. I like Earth too much (good AND bad points) - it needs me!!! I need it!!!
Old 05-10-2001, 10:58 AM   #38
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:

Do you realise what belief in an afterlife DOES? It makes people accept rotten situations in their own lives and in the world that they would not TOLERATE if they knew THIS LIFE WAS IT!
Because they think it doesn't matter, because it will all be 'made right' for them in heaven. As a consequence... well, just look round the world. Look at newsreels. Look at what people are enduring. They endure, they put up with it and hope for better when they die.
WE SHOULD NOT PUT UP WITH IT! We should act in such a way as to get a good life NOW for EVERYONE! Saying that 'heaven will compensate' excuses all sorts of horrendous things from slavery to poverty to war to disease...
I think religion, with it's insistance in the 'hereafter' has a LOT of human suffering to answer for. I feel pretty passionate about it!
No apologies.

F.J. I'd appreciate it if you spoke for yourself rather than professing to know how belief in an afterlife affects peoples actions in this world. I follow Jesus Christ rather than a 'religion' - something which he himself spoke out against in his day.

My relationship with God has led me to desire exploration and experience of his artwork for myself, to communicate with God and others, to see them happy IN THIS LIFE, and to enjoy the short time I am here, with the chance to know God while existing in his creation.

The 'made right' compassionless scenario is not a 'Christian' ethos. We are compelled to treat others as we would ourselves, to care for widows, orphans, the sick and the poor, to love our enemy and be slow to anger etc etc. Jesus healed the sick and diseased, indicating a care for them IN THIS LIFE, so so should those that seek to follow him.

The 'made right' scenario which you are speaking against is most evident in Hindu society which is based on the Karmic priciples of the current life being a reward/consequence for the actions in another. This indeed I believe to be a most evil situation as it, as you said, leaves little point in rectifying the plight of the disadvantaged.

I do what I can to help others here and now. I have a sponsor child in Guatemala, I contribute financially to Greenpeace, recycle, buy recycled/enviro friendly goods (including free range eggs), walk wherever I can (I don't own a car) and give time to friends in need. I also give money to beggars and buskers and donate clothes for the homeless.

In Sydney, it is Churches like the Salvation Army that do the most for the homeless, for abused children, and battered wives.

Fjlotsdale it saddens me that you had such a negative experience of people proclaiming to be followers of a God of love and peace.

May I point out that the entire Protestant movement has problems with Roman Catholicism as well as you. Additionally the Jehovahs Witnesses are not regarded as a Christian Church by any other Christian denomination. The words "cult" or "sect" are often used as descriptions of the J.W. "church".

(Edited.....You've read it now Fjlotsdale so away it goes into the ether.)I too wrestled with the moral pressure to keep the marrige intact despite not having any children. When I left my marriage I was furious with God, devoid of a moral code regarding relationships and was a broken individual.

Despite all my rage I was still just a rat in a cage......... couldn't help that one, sorry. Despite all my rage I knew God was there, I kept praying, and eventually, as I healed, came to have an even stronger relation with him, that is now totally reliant on his grace and forgiveness.

I am so full of love and awe at God's generosity, mercy, genius, love and grace that how can I not give as I have been given? To me everything is a bonus in this life, as I did nothing to deserve being born, let alone being allowed to make a career out of expressing myself in music.

I fully believe that a result of this life is eternity with the creator for me. Not as a reward, but because there is every indication that God desires relationship with humanity. I don't see life as a test, but a place where we can freely chose to be with God or not. I have taken the biblical interpretation that hell is the place where the soul is obliterated rather than a place of eternal torment, so I think that there is a valid alternative for those that choose not to be with God.

I respect your opinion, am saddened by your past hurt, and am glad you are happy. I would hope though, that you would accord me the same respect and take my beliefs individually rather than generalising them with all others. My faith is based on my own life experiences, a wide read and respect of history, plenty of communication with like and opposed minds and the experience of much of the artistic beauty that is the worlds creation.

Thankyou

Hugh

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!

[This message has been edited by Yorick (edited 05-11-2001).]
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 12:33 PM   #39
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:

(1)F.J. I'd appreciate it if you spoke for yourself rather than professing to know how belief in an afterlife affects peoples actions in this world. I follow Jesus Christ rather than a 'religion' - something which he himself spoke out against in his day.

(2)The 'made right' compassionless scenario is not a 'Christian' ethos. We are compelled to treat others as we would ourselves, to care for widows, orphans, the sick and the poor, to love our enemy and be slow to anger etc etc. Jesus healed the sick and diseased, indicating a care for them IN THIS LIFE, so so should those that seek to follow him.

(3)The 'made right' scenario which you are speaking against is most evident in Hindu society which is based on the Karmic priciples of the current life being a reward/consequence for the actions in another. This indeed I believe to be a most evil situation as it, as you said, leaves little point in rectifying the plight of the disadvantaged.

(3)Fjlotsdale it saddens me that you had such a negative experience of people proclaiming to be followers of a God of love and peace.

(4)May I point out that the entire Protestant movement has problems with Roman Catholicism as well as you. Additionally the Jehovahs Witnesses are not regarded as a Christian Church by any other Christian denomination. The words "cult" or "sect" are often used as descriptions of the J.W. "church".
Thankyou
Hugh
Sorry to cut so much for the 'quote' but too much to reply on every point! So just replying on the 4 I have marked:

1) & 2) I thought I WAS speaking for myself, Hugh. That was certainly my intention! However, the comments I made were in reply to someone else's comment that if you did not believe in an afterlife, this life was pointless. Also, you must agree (I hope!) that many religions, 'christianity' included, have abused the notion of an afterlife to the detriment of their followers in the ways I have stated. It has INDEED been used to excuse all sorts of abominations. Don't accept my word - read some religious history.
Jesus is blameless in this. I agree wholeheartedly. I LIKE the man! Good guy! If people DID as he said, instead of just TALKING about it, or CALLING themselves christian, this world would be a Paradise.

3)No. Only negative of certain Catholic clergy/nuns. Have met some nice ones, too! Nothing against Catholics per se.

4) Jehovah's Witnesses are most certainly christian, lol! Whatever some may think! Kindest, most genuinely christian people I have ever met! They are usually among the first to go in with aid in devestated areas; they rebuild homes for people, take in food and clothing, tents, etc. Very practical, loving people. They don't blow their own trumpet though. There is far too much irrational prejudice against them because of the blood transfusion issue - but the medical profession are now acknowledging that their stand on that was wise and are performing bloodless surgery at a rapidly increasing rate for the simple reason that recovery is better and faster! I have not been a Witness for quite a few years, now, but it is not their fault I'm an atheist!

Finally: Of course I respect your views, Hugh. And , even more, your actions. I myself do my best to practice all the tenets of faith taught by Jesus. Not because I am a 'christian' but because his teachings are wise and beneficial for everyone. However, I must also point out that the TEACHINGS of most religions are good. It's the PRACTICE THAT FALLS DOWN! And also the rather strange and violent conclusions that religions come to that their founders had no notion of!

Friends?

------------------
Smile! Life is too short for bitching!

Fljotsdale

[This message has been edited by Fljotsdale (edited 05-10-2001).]
Fljotsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 03:05 PM   #40
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

I believe in a afterlife but I wont try to force you to share my beliefs. I will haunt your ass when I die though

------------------
Welcome to hell.
caleb is offline   Reply With Quote