Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2001, 12:51 PM   #1
Krynvull
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have no BGII folder to put into the trash...at least none that I can find. All I have is the following (Baldur's Gate(TM) II - Shadows of Amn(TM)) in the Add/Remove window of my Control Panel when I go to the Add/Remove portion of the Control Panels and then ask to delete BGII. I cannot find anything else to delete and every time I am asked if I am sure I want to delete I respond yes and the above keeps appearing in the window. I am lost!!

Moiraine, your suggestion concerning the registry sounds promising. Could you please help me to try this? I am having withdrawal problems from being away from the Sword Coast too long....any suggestions or help would be great!!!!
Old 03-26-2001, 01:10 PM   #2
slackerboy
Gold Dragon

ok , i'm assuming that you had it installed at one point. now you want to reinstall and cant? is that right?. if you have an entry for it in Add/Remove programs but no folder then the files have been deleted prior to uninstalling. as a result the uninstall log (the file used to uninstall) has been deleted as well. this will result in the program not being able to uninstall. this leaves the registry entry for the game which causes the install file to think the game is already installed. this happend to me once when the install crapped out on disk 1 after a windows installation. unfortunatly the only fix i could find was to reinstall windows. but you may be able to get the registry keys from interplay's tech support, and manually remove them. other than that if you really want to play again. you may have to reinstall windows.

------------------
Old 03-26-2001, 01:11 PM   #3
slackerboy
Gold Dragon

if you can find the bg11-soa file in the recycle bin. then you may be able to "restore it" by selecting the file (single click) and clicking restore to the right (win98/me) or right clicking the file and clicking restore.

------------------
Old 03-26-2001, 01:19 PM   #4
Krynvull
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Yes...that's what happened originally. I was trying a reinstall and during the first disk something happened on the reinstall and I haven't been able to get back into the game since. Suggestions on how to re-install Windows? I was good with computers called Apple IIE (but who wasn't?) but am lost as can be with the new toys.

------------------
Evil...hide in terror... for the sword of the
Undead Paladin - Kyrnvull seeks to destroy you!
Old 03-26-2001, 01:23 PM   #5
slackerboy
Gold Dragon

i'll post an indepth reply to this tommorrow at work. (i do tech support for a living).

------------------
Old 03-26-2001, 01:30 PM   #6
slackerboy
Gold Dragon

in the meantime try something accord thought of. Open (double click) My Computer. then right click on the CD-ROM icon (should look like the baulders gate icon)then left click on explore then find the Setup.exe file (should look like a computer with a box in front of it). double click on that. see if that will let you run the install. yep just tried it and it started installing even though i have a full install of it allready. Give that a shot. much easier then a windows install

------------------
Old 03-26-2001, 01:58 PM   #7
Krynvull
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Just tried your last suggestion. Install Shield tries to ready computer for an Install and then I get the dreaded "ding" and the window that asks me if "I want to completely remove selected application and all it's components?" I've seen that window a few times in the last few months! It doesn't matter what I do I just keep on getting the window and same message...over and over and over and over again...whether or not I agree or cancel.

One other thing that might help you help me. When I put disk 1 in it tries to "play the game" even though there are no files there to support playing it.
Old 03-27-2001, 02:38 AM   #8
Moiraine
Anubis

Sorry, I didn't see this thread before (very busy at work). If Slackerboy can't help you tomorrow, let me know.

------------------
Old 03-27-2001, 07:39 PM   #9
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

I once experienced the same problem.

The resolution consisted of deleting two entries in your registry:

1. Local Machine/Software/Biowarecorp/BGII

2. Problem 1: I don't remember the location/name of the second one.

3. Problem 2: editing your registry is dangerous. Get a second opinion by someone with more computer expertise than me, like Moiraine, she is a computer engineer, before you give it a try. There is also an option that allows you to export registry entries. Use that to create a backup before deleting something.

Good luck !

------------------
So long !

R³ - Co-president(s) of the Club of Broken Hearts
Old 03-28-2001, 12:24 AM   #10
Kellin da Mage
Dungeon Master

I had a copy of IWD go bad like this too. They were copied CD's, but they loaded fine and I was playing my saved game for a copple hours then it went nuttie and said I didn't have the correct game disk in. So I tried to remove the game, and it said I didn't have the game loaded. So I tried to install the game, but it said that I could not because the game was already loaded.

I've had alot of luck dealing with "phantom" instals by useing McAfee's Uninstaller program (looks like an old box of tide). If you can find it. It's pretty cheep too. It removes unwanted regestery entries (sometimes wanted files...be carefull), and in general cleans up fragmented files, broken links, stuff like that. Defenatly worth the 10.95 rather than wipeing your PC. However if your like me, I tend to wipe out my PC at least every six months. By accident, upgrades, or windows itself just bugging up. Gata love PC's.

The iMac sitting next to it has been operating on the same OS load (with upgrades) for 2+ years now. No fragements, no broken links, nothing truly wrong. Coarse I also have no apps, no games, and no new hardware to install on it. I just sits their looking cute, and cuddly.

------------------
--Kellin da Mage--