Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2002, 06:04 AM   #1
Saverico
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hi. Cant you tell me some tips from your repertaire. I played BG1 a lot and it was fun. I had a mage and with party easy. So i started saving money for the sequel and after 3 years of saving i bought the game. Iam somewhat inept at using magics but i know that there is nothing more powerfull than a high lvl mage. Finger of death, deathcloud. I like going alone so i wanted to go solo but as you have seen some minutes ago in my post it isnt going very smooth. I already deleted my saves in anger and now i regret that. So i want to start a new one sorcerer. I will use your list of spells for a solo sorcerer but in a different way. For example i got stuck because i picked another spell than summon spider and i was helpless. So couldnt you tell me some tips. (better more). Thanks.
Saverico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 06:28 AM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

I tend to operate better by responding to a specific issue, as compared to something as broad as the topic of general tips for Sorcerers. I will see what I can think of now.

Stoneskin and Mirror Image will be your bread and butter defence throughout the entire game. I chose some spiffy colours for my Sorcerers, but they all invariably turn out to be the same colour... gray. Stoneskin lasts for 12 hours, so I like to cast it before I rest, which means that I get a full rack of level 4 spells but still have Stoneskin on when I wake up.

It is a little known fact that Mirror Image helps to protect against area-of-effect(AoE) spells such as Cloudkill and Fireball. It does not grant immunity, but it reduces the chances that the real you is struck as opposed to an image. Mirror Image also helps when you have to open trapped doors/chests or walk over trapped floors.

Melf's Minute Meteors does not have a duration, and will last all the way until you either run out of meteors, or it gets dispelled away. Due to this, I like to cast them before I go to sleep as well.

When you are at a low level, Chromatic Orb will stun enemies. This is extremely useful as Sorcerers have lousy THACO, so you can pelt them to death with slings or Melf's Minute Meteors. This will also assist your summons if any, as stunned/held enemies are always automatic hits.

Until you begin to have a healthy supply of summons, save all those summoning scrolls. They will come in handy by helping you tank while you cast away.

During random encounters, cast Skull Trap on the Mage and walk away quickly after casting it. It should kill everybody save 1-2 thugs who will be badly injured and easily dispatched with some Magic Missiles.

--------

These are just some basics until you reach level 15. Once you hit level 15, it is time for advanced Sorcerer tips. If you still have any further questions, feel free to ask.

Land of the Psycho-moe
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 07:20 AM   #3
Saverico
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Do you think that it is a good idea to take someone through the cells where you were at the beginning. I mean imoen, minsc, jaheira, yoshimo. And what equipment should i take. I got those extra merchant patch and one of them has robe of vecna. That is a good thing for a mage to have. But it is EXPENSIVE as hell. And what about that no spells law in ahkatla. Should i buy the rights to cast as fast as possible.
And to be exact i need some tips about which quests should be done first. What should i be aware of or afraid and so on.
Saverico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 11:08 AM   #4
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Saverico:
Do you think that it is a good idea to take someone through the cells where you were at the beginning. I mean imoen, minsc, jaheira, yoshimo.

Exactly what do you mean? Are you trying to ask whether you should temporarily take them in for Jon Irenicus' Dungeon when you are supposed to soloing? If so, then it is up to you. Strict soloists like me insist on no NPC help at all. I start with one character, play with one character, and win with one character. Imoen will forcibly join you, but I always kick her out immediately.

And what equipment should i take. I got those extra merchant patch and one of them has robe of vecna. That is a good thing for a mage to have. But it is EXPENSIVE as hell.

The Robe of Vecna should be the very first purchase you make, besides a Gem Bag and a Scroll Case. I drag out the Mail of the Dead armour from the dungeon and various +1 enchanted weapons. They sell for quite a lot of gold and I can usually buy the Robe of Vecna after doing the Circus Tent quest.

The following is my personal equipment list for SoA, all of which you can get before Chapter 4 except one( the cloak),

Equipment:
--------

Armour: Robe of Vecna
Gloves: Bracers of Defence AC 3
Helmet: Pale Green Ioun Stone
Amulet: Amulet of Power
Ring1: Ring of Acuity
Ring2: Ring of Wizardry
Cloak: Cloak of Protection +2
Boots: Boots of Speed
Belt: Belt of Inertial Barrier

Weapon1: Staff of Magi
Weapon2: Sling of Everand

Of course, there will be other equipment that I keep for future use. Too many to list out though, just use some random containers like the cupboards in Cernd's House in Waukeen's Promenade to store your extra stuff. Later on, use the Bag of Holding to carry them around.

And what about that no spells law in ahkatla. Should i buy the rights to cast as fast as possible.

I usually kill them all...

The easiest path of course is to pay them as soon as possible. Most people opt for this, as the alternative is considerably harder, especially since you are soloing. It is possible to not pay though, but you have to be extra careful. I usually lie low until I gain enough levels to challenge them.

One example are the pair of ruffians outside the Copper Coronet. I always take the long path to avoid them. I only confront them when I want to fight the Cowled Wizards.

On a side note, you may know that the first time you cast magic illegally, the Cowled Wizards just warn you. I use this chance to confront the Vampire that kills Mook( I always work for the Shadow Thieves).

And to be exact i need some tips about which quests should be done first. What should i be aware of or afraid and so on.

As you may have noticed, my spell lists have different versions. This is because I tweak them now and then, for optimal performance. I used to say to pick Spawn Spiders at level 13, and it is viable to do so. However, I have come to appreciate their value in the beginning, and have changed it to level 9.

I always do the Circus Tent quest first, because it allows me to earn enough to buy the Robe of Vecna. Then I proceed to fight Mebble Pebblecrusher on the second floor of the Den of the Seven Vales. The tactic to fight him and his party is simple enough. Summon some spiders and other summons( from scrolls or wands) out of their sight, then cast several Webs to immobilise the entire party. If the Circus Tent quest did not earn enough for you, you should earn enough now from the sale of all the armour and other loot.

The next quest I do is to free Hendek the slave in the Copper Coronet, then the Lilarcor quest.

Now... I mentioned earlier on that I prefer to enter the Slaver Ship from the other side, and I do; but if you have the Robe of Vecna now, time to bum-rush!

Prepare yourself first by casting Stoneskin and Mirror Image. Burst into the room and cast Spider Spawn next to the enemy caster. Cast Web next, then keep summoning spiders and other summons from scrolls. Do not forget to refresh your Mirror Image now and then, and Web after about 45 seconds.

Beyond this, it is up to you, and you can refer to your other thread for other quests that I deem easy at this point of the game.

Lastly, my personal optimal minimum statistics for a Sorcerer,

STR: 12
DEX: 18
CON: 16
INT: 10
WIS: 1 if you plan to play ToB as well)
CHA: 08
[ 08-23-2002, 11:09 AM: Message edited by: Dundee Slaytern ]
Old 08-28-2002, 01:50 AM   #5
pcgiant
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:

Lastly, my personal optimal minimum statistics for a Sorcerer,

STR: 12
DEX: 18
CON: 16
INT: 10
WIS: 1 if you plan to play ToB as well)
CHA: 08
[/QB][/QUOTE]

Why WIS for ToB?
Old 08-28-2002, 02:57 AM   #6
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by pcgiant:
Why WIS for ToB?
Wish spell. Thanks to it, I completed ToB( including Watcher's Keep) in 11 game days.
Old 08-28-2002, 03:34 AM   #7
pcgiant
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
quote:
Originally posted by pcgiant:
Why WIS for ToB?
Wish spell. Thanks to it, I completed ToB( including Watcher's Keep) in 11 game days.[/QUOTE]Oh, I see... "Rest and rememorise". I'll keep it in mind. Thanks.
Old 11-04-2002, 10:42 AM   #8
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

Question Mark

Quote:
Equipment:
--------
Armour: Robe of Vecna
Gloves: Bracers of Defence AC 3
Helmet: Pale Green Ioun Stone
Amulet: Amulet of Power
Ring1: Ring of Acuity
Ring2: Ring of Wizardry
Cloak: Cloak of Protection +2
Boots: Boots of Speed
Belt: Belt of Inertial Barrier

Weapon1: Staff of Magi
Weapon2: Sling of Everand
How do you obtain the wizardry and acuity rings when soloing?
Old 11-04-2002, 10:46 AM   #9
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Zuvio:
How do you obtain the wizardry and acuity rings when soloing?
Simple enough, both from the Planar Sphere.
Old 11-04-2002, 11:26 AM   #10
Balhifet
The Magister

All quests don't come in any order. Just ease your way by accomplishing them one by one.

Tip for Sorcs.: Don't pick spells that may go useless out of time. (I wonder where I got that?)

Happy hunting!! (Jon Irenicus)

Play by your heart and you'll surely get the most out of the game. (Im really wondering where that came from.)