Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2001, 08:34 AM   #41
H. Sedai

Army basic training was not fun!! I lived in Mt. Holly, NJ and we went from the recruiting office to Ft. Dix. Its about 10 minutes away. Whenever I invited all 50 members and the Drill Sergeant over for lunch at my mom's house, the Drill Sergeant (Drill Sergeant Ledbetter) would make me do those up and down things until I looked like a dying cockroach.

I remember the very first time we were marching. Thats how we traveled. We did not saunter or meander. We marched. I had perfected my "wander aimlessly" by the time I was 14 but could not use that ability while in the Army. We marched. Drill Sergeant Ledbetter would encourage me by saying things like "Dammit Lastname (I would supply my last name here but there are others who glean this time of info and then bother me via AIM) swing your arms or I'll rip them off and beat you with them." That was sufficient advice for me. I remember the real long road marches. Those were the ones with the rucksack on my back and the weapon in front of me. The most important thing was to never think about the blisters, cramps, shin splints, chafing, or hunger. Think about Lara. She was the one at home who would send me the letters. 10 miles into the road march and I'm stumbling around like a drunk dyslexic infant on crack. Only 2 more miles to go and every footstep has my lower body yelling expletives at me. I didn't know that my hips could make that noise. Some soldiers would grunt or moan. I would whimper like a puppy begging for table scraps. I made it in time and did that same road march many more times over the next eight years. I learned some tricks like bringing granola bars, wearing good insoles in my boots, and how to scamper from telephone pole to telephone pole. Put water into one canteen and gatoraide into the other.
Look ma, no blisters!!

Oh, and if haven't already guessed, this is a bump.

------------------
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
-Robert McCloskey

• Token lackwit of HADB
  • Sycophant to the Wolf of Azure Hue
  • Long lost brother of DragonMage
  • Bearer of a work of art created by Sazerac[/list]

Old 10-16-2001, 09:29 AM   #42
Link
Jack Burton

Very nice Kaz! I'm writing a story myself as well! My story's about eleven A4 sized papers long! I would love to let you read it, but it's in Dutch, so I'll have to translate it first

------------------
I am committed to restore your faith in extreme violence...

Guns don't kill people, people kill other people.

So, therefore:
Nobody moves! Give me your wallet, I have a person right here!

Link
Overlord Executioner, Slayer of Fluffed Beings
Member of Clan HADB
Supreme Warrior of Myst
Official Entertainer in Cloudy's Cafe
Old 10-16-2001, 09:59 AM   #43
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Link:
Very nice Kaz! I'm writing a story myself as well! My story's about eleven A4 sized papers long! I would love to let you read it, but it's in Dutch, so I'll have to translate it first
Know the feeling. My friend was very mad when I told her I was writing my story in English not in German - I can't write in German! Probably because I read so many English books I guess.
Old 10-16-2001, 01:12 PM   #44
H. Sedai

My first duty station was in Hawaii. I worked with a Panamanian buhddist gentleman who taught me some spanish. He would say "que paso?" I would ask him what he meant and he said its a greeting like saying "Hola, como esta usted?" So, I walked around saying "Que paso?" and all of the people of Puerto Rican descent would cock their heads to the side and say things like "Cuando?" or "Acqui?" It wasn't until I spoke with the spanish chaplain that I found out I wasn't saying "whats up" but literally "what happened?" He also explained why the little kids would call me "narise grande" (big nose)

I hate this nose. *sniffle*

This is a bump. No, really.

------------------
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
-Robert McCloskey

• Token lackwit of HADB
  • Bearer of a work of art created by Sazerac[/list]

Old 10-17-2001, 01:01 PM   #45
Hiram Sedai
Emerald Dragon

The very last birthday party my family ever threw for me was when I was 8. I remember the yellow smiley face shirt that said "Have a nice day" Cathy Lynn and I were chasing each other through the living room and I tripped. My head slammed into the coffee table and I bled profusely. My mom took a dishrag and instructed me to sit down. "What were you thinking? I told you no rough-housing today." Look at all the blood on the floor!! My mom yelled. I apologized because apologizing is my forte. I felt a little light headed but it stopped bleeding after a while. I then got to play with my lincoln logs. I found that they will leave splinters in your gums if you chew on them. I loved to do my George Burns imitation with them. There was also my patented technique of stuffing 30 or so of them down the back of my pants to simulation involuntary excrement. That was not appreciated by the parents but was a source of amusement for my friends. I was so clever!!

Oh, this is a bump.

------------------
-Robert McCloskey

• Token lackwit of HADB
  • Bearer of a work of art created by Sazerac
  • Jeg burde blive gennembanket for min flatulens.[/list]
Old 10-17-2001, 01:02 PM   #46
Hiram Sedai
Emerald Dragon

double post because i'm an idiot

[This message has been edited by Hiram Sedai (edited 10-17-2001).]
Old 10-18-2001, 11:13 AM   #47
Hiram Sedai
Emerald Dragon

This will be my last bump for this thread.

Looks like my personal vignettes went over like a lead balloon.

hmm...

------------------
-Robert McCloskey

• Token lackwit of HADB
  • Bearer of a work of art created by Sazerac
  • Jeg burde blive gennembanket for min flatulens.[/list]
Old 10-18-2001, 11:28 AM   #48
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Hiram Sedai:
This will be my last bump for this thread.

Looks like my personal vignettes went over like a lead balloon.

hmm...
No they haven't...ya thilly! They're stunned! You stunned them just when they were waking up!

Seriously - I have laughed myself senseless over some of these. Maybe you should start a new thread just for these. Or add them to your newbie post. Or just keep them here where I know where to look for them.

------------------

Alureth...Dragon friend of Breanna, Mage and Advisor in the Court of Lady Lioness

Co-Owner/Operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.
Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force
Sublime Sister of the Illuminati - may the Light shine forever!
Second Historian and Scribe of IW. Mother Hen of IW.
Mage extraordinair, Pin-Up Girl for the OLD-COOTS
Magey-Wagey: performer in the Nekked Dancing Trio of the ORT.

Hopeless Romantic *sigh*
Old 11-09-2001, 03:57 PM   #49
Hiram Sedai
Emerald Dragon

I just had to bump this one more time. I couldn't help myself. I won't type anything about myself this time. I'll just bump it and them quit bumping my gums. Mmkay?
Old 11-10-2001, 03:17 AM   #50
Sir Byronas
Mephistopheles

How old is that topic? Thanks Hiram!