Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2002, 08:10 PM   #31
Azred
Drow Priestess

Quote:
Originally posted by LennonCook:
The past couple of months, some people suid telstra (Australias telecommunications giant) because of their high prices. Sofar, that makes sense- we have laws in place to stop unnecesarily high prices being put into place. Telstra`s defense: "We are a goverment body, and so we do not have to adhere to the governments regulations".
Telstra won....
What a riot! The government agency doesn't have to obey government regulations. [img]graemlins/laugh3.gif[/img]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 07-26-2002, 08:27 PM   #32
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
I'm just curious, is there anyone who thinks he can win this case ? Cause i've seen lot of weird law suits, and this is just another one i guess. So, anyone who thinks he stands a chance ? Btw, Melusine, you'd make a good doctor.
Old 07-26-2002, 08:41 PM   #33
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

This guy(and everyone involved in this lawsuit) kills me!

He was on Good Morning America today and said that for two or three years AFTER his first heart attack and being told by his doctor that "fastfood" was bad for him(as if he couldn't have realized this himself) that he continued to eat fastfood until after his SECOND heart attack.

His main complaint is that the fat/calories/etc. weren't listed in a conspicuous place in his local restaurant(s). He didn't know what was in his burgers... For some reason, he didn't realise they were composed entired of COW! He didn't understand his potatoes were deep fat fried in oil, despite the name, French FRIES. How did his Mom make fries?

I guess he didn't realize these things were bad for him because no cashier reached across the counter, grabbed him, and told him his ass/belly was SWELLING up because he was eating too much stupid sh$t.

My statement comes from someone who weighed over 300lbs less than 2 years ago. My current weight is 214. Not because someone started telling me what was in the fast food I bought, but because I stopped STUFFING myself on a daily basis. (If you want help check out ( www.weightwatchers.com )

I over-ate because I wanted it, not because I thought it was good for me. Even in the early 80's, before they explained this stuff was sooo bad for us, I knew that processed/fast foods/etc. couldn't possibly be good for me.

DAMN, it's common sense.

I will admit the addition of nutrient statements on all products has helped and simplified dieting, but the previous lack of these "helpers" certainly doesn't justify any legal action against any provider of said product. Who could have even read this crap in the 60's?

I'll admit, Super Sized items don't help the American waistline, but they also don't(by themselves) cause any problem, they simply make it easier to eat more.

Wake up America!!!! If you eat more food than you need to sustain your existance you will become over-weight. If you do this consistantly/to excess you will become obese.

After all, who does the eating?

FF Restaurants SHOULD provide nutrient information, but those individuals who can't control themselves(like me-occassionally) should avoid/beware these places.
Old 07-26-2002, 09:52 PM   #34
Scholarcs
Red Dragon

Gosh that guy should go and eat a few vegetables out of the garden! Myabe if he had done that once a week for his whole life he would be alot healthier.
<br />\"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five\" - Groucho Marx<br />Member of the ORT Clan. <br />\"Some birds are not meant to be caged because their feathers are too bright\"<br />Ma bouche sera la bouche des malheurs qui n\'ont point de bouche, ma voix, la liberté de celles qui s\'affaissent au cachot du désespoir. - Aimé Césaire<br />La plus perdue de toutes les journées est celle où l\'on n\'a pas ri. - Sébastien Roch Nicolas
Old 07-27-2002, 01:53 AM   #35
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Scholarcs:
Gosh that guy should go and eat a few vegetables out of the garden! Myabe if he had done that once a week for his whole life he would be alot healthier.
But then he'd probably sue the vegetable seed companies for not stating whether their products are GE or not [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-27-2002, 01:56 AM   #36
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

And Hunter of Jahanna you're an angry angry man. And who, what or where is Jahanna anyway? [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-27-2002, 05:05 AM   #37
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
I'm just curious, is there anyone who thinks he can win this case ? Cause i've seen lot of weird law suits, and this is just another one i guess. So, anyone who thinks he stands a chance ? Btw, Melusine, you'd make a good doctor.
Huh?? Why? LOL!

Well, I don't think he has a chance of winning it, but if he becomes a bit too vocal the fast food chains may offer money to settle out of court, just because they don't want the bad publicity (anyone remember to Oprah Winfrey hamburger incident BTW? [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] )

Good post Ronn Bman, and good to see you too, where have you been man?!
I agree that it's beyond doubt people KNOW that deep-fried, fat food is unhealthy, especially if you eat it regularly without varying your diet by eating fruit and veggies...
Also, McDonalds does provide leaflets near every counter that holds full nutritional information on all their products - I assume they do that in other countries as well.
Old 07-27-2002, 05:15 AM   #38
Dramnek_Ulk

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Shield:
Was he FORCED to go there and scarf all that stuff?
He may have been,
First of all Fast food restaurants are notorious for forcing out any competitions thus leaving you without the option of healthy food, just the fast food restaurants,
Secondly he may not have been able to afford it, seeing as how fast food restaurants are so Cheap compared to other places, due to their poor quality and cheap meals and ingrediants
But still, this isn’t necessarily the kind of thing, which should be encouraged.
Rather if people are to eat more healthily, the government should simply impose “fat taxes” on fatty foods, and subsidise and otherwise encourage the eating of healthy ones, through a most beneficial application of social engineering.

[ 07-27-2002, 05:16 AM: Message edited by: Dramnek_Ulk ]

Old 07-27-2002, 08:43 AM   #39
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
What a pile of shite!!

Was he FORCED to go there and scarf all that stuff?

how about exercise? did he bother to shift his worthless butt?

I hope that not only hte legal action fails, but the disgusting fat git has to pay for wrongful prosecution or something
Lord Shield - Hunter of Jahanna has an excuse but you don't. Perhaps you'd like to have a IW Londoners party and I could show you the error of your ways?

60% of Americans are overweight. Threads like these are obviously anti-american!
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 07-27-2002, 08:47 AM   #40
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
Uh... I hope the fact that he's filing a stupid lawsuit does not give us the right to insult him.
His weight may be part of the reason why he's suing, but I would hate to see some of our members hurt because others throw terms like 'disgusting fat git' around... I can imagine that *is* hurtful
sorry for being such a killjoy.
oops - sorry! Was only trying to be insulting for the guy doing the lawsuit

but yes, everyone who partakes in such things should at least have the wherewithall to take responsibility for their own actions
[/QUOTE]Unlucky pal - the guy in the lawsuit can't hear you. But I can. The words 'that fat git' go together as easy as 'that kent prick'.

Would you consider it acceptable to use the word '■■■■■■' around black people?
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show