Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2001, 05:18 PM   #101
nAhk

Quote:
Originally posted by Moni:
Well, aren't you just noble!

Sorry to say it But personally I though she really was noble with that post

------------------

I GOT ROLLS ON MY HEAD

[This message has been edited by nAhk (edited 09-16-2001).]

Old 09-16-2001, 05:22 PM   #102
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Silver Cheetah:
Personally, I believe in 'god' in the sense of a living, evolving universe, which is a little different to many people's thought on this subject. However, to reply to your point - if there was a god separate from ourselves, how could s/he be perpetually intervening? That would be like a parent with a three year old, always having to say 'no', 'if you do that Mommy will smack!', 'put that down now!', 'if I have to tell you just one more time....', and so on and so forth. Be realistic. What do you want, - every time someone picks up a knife, god should whirl it out of their hands? Everytime someone raises a hand to another, god should exact retribution? What would be the point? We would have no free will at all, - no free will means no opportunity, to learn, to develop, to be who we have the potential to be. People learn by their mistakes, don't forget! We learn by experience.

We are not children, we are adults. We also don't much like being told what to do. If god came around every time there was a problem and fixed it for us straight off, we wouldn't be grateful, never think it!, we'd be telling him/her where to get off.

Plus - how many times have your parents or someone in authority told you not to do something because it might harm you? When I was younger, it was enough for someone to tell me something would be good for me, for me to go off and do exactly the opposite. Like I said, mostly, we need to learn by experience.

So far, collectively, we don't seem to be making a brilliant job of it, as witness the shape the planet is in. But we've made great progress in some areas, and there's a lot of hope, I believe.

But think for a moment, - who caused all the mess in the world, the hatreds, the suffering, the starvation, the child abuse, the kids with their limbs blown off by landmines, (need I go on?) Us human beings. It's got nothing to do with any 'god'!! We've got a gorgeous planet to live on, brains capable of remarkable feats of ingenuity and inventiveness, potentially fabulous bodies, if we took care of them...... we could do better than this......

Collectively, we need to grow up as a race, and start taking responsibity for ourselves. Whether you believe in god or not, it's our planet, its citizens are our people, and its down to us to sort ourselves out. Not god.

There is a way forward, and a cure for what ails all of us at a deep level. It's called LOVE. Maybe when we've suffered enough, we'll start realising that it doesn't HAVE to be this way, and start showing more love, to more people, instead of indifference, or hatred. Perhaps we could start with ourselves. If you don't love yourself, you sure as hell won't have too much to spare for the rest of the suffering world, let alone helping with the healing process.

Silver Cheetah.. thank you. That's a very powerful way to express the concept of free will and I've said it before, we are responsible for our ills. God didn't just dump them on us for sport. We make bad choices, we suffer the consequences. But unlike a three year old who learns quickly the a fire burns, we don't always take the lessons away with us and repeat our mistakes.

er, F? I don't know about cats or animals in general in England, but I'll be betting you just about anything that my cat or the wild rabbits out in the back don't have much 'respect' or 'love' for me or each other! For either, I believe one has to be self-aware, sentient as it were. Animals work on instinct, not higher order emotions. *thinks a minute* Hmmm.. I've had love cause great pain... wonder if it really is 'higher order' sometimes... nah... it is!

Cloudy

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."
Old 09-16-2001, 05:45 PM   #103
KHaN
Drow Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:

KHaN: Docking a boat does not mean you are taking it out of commission...unless you mean "dry dock" and that is a whole different concept. Docking a boat, in my experience with boats, is to bring it to shore and moor it so it won't drift and cause accidents but is readily available to go out any time it's owner chooses to take it.

CB
CloudyKins,
"Dock" when used (properly) in reference tp people is where prisoners are placed in court. You know, those people taken there to be judged . Just so you know.

------------------

"Heads are gonna roll..."
Old 09-16-2001, 05:50 PM   #104
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:

er, F? I don't know about cats or animals in general in England, but I'll be betting you just about anything that my cat or the wild rabbits out in the back don't have much 'respect' or 'love' for me or each other! For either, I believe one has to be self-aware, sentient as it were. Animals work on instinct, not higher order emotions. *thinks a minute* Hmmm.. I've had love cause great pain... wonder if it really is 'higher order' sometimes... nah... it is!

Cloudy

LOL! I don't believe they feel those things on the same level humans do, Cloudy! But at a lower level they do, imho. Rabbits in a warren HAVE to look out for each other - it means survival. Cats - well, cats are cats, lol! but even cats display affection for one another. My cat has both 'friends' and 'enemies' among the local cats - and the 'friends' are not female, lol! (He's neutered). Elephants form large extended families, look out for one another, share care for the young, rescue and look after the trapped/injured if they can.... So do whales, dolphins, etc, and this applies to a great many, if not all, animal species, and even some insects. Instinct? Yes. What makes you think it is not instinct in us?

------------------

Old 09-16-2001, 05:51 PM   #105
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Really Khan? Interesting, never heard that before. Like Cloudy, when I hear the word "dock" I just think of a ship tied to the shore.

------------------
Old 09-16-2001, 05:53 PM   #106
Fljotsdale

Well, I am so proud of her that I can't keep my mouth shut any longer. Silver Cheetah is one of my daughters!
Ain't she just great?!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Fljotsdale (edited 09-16-2001).]
Old 09-16-2001, 05:55 PM   #107
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by KHaN:
How is telling cloudy that she is noble anything nasty? This thread was about everyone giving their own personal opinon about things...what's wrong with Moni giving hers here other than it conflicts with cloudys and maybe yours?

Also you might want to look up the word "dock". I don't know what your education level is but in the reference that cloudy used it was the same as saying "reduced"...so much for people being allowed to have their own religious beliefs.

As far as Moni sending hate mail to anyone...she shared a christian poem with cloudy...where did that turn into hate mail? Maybe you should check your source before you post this kind of thing on IW. Moni's left the board and can't defend herself...is that why you are here to post your nastiness? Their was nothing wrong with what she said, it's her opinion and shes entitled to it.

So I am her best friend & boy friend in real life. What's wrong with that?
Flame away as I'm sure you will do. But get your facts straight and understand the words you are coming here to defend. -Cheers-

It was the tone that was set. Nothing more. I would suggest a smiley or something to infer there is no attack. There was a quote made and it was directed with a statement placing the person in the quote in the context of the message. A miscommunication if you will.

------------------

Protectorate of the OHF
Death Waits 4 U ALL
Old 09-16-2001, 05:56 PM   #108
KHaN
Drow Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
Really Khan? Interesting, never heard that before. Like Cloudy, when I hear the word "dock" I just think of a ship tied to the shore.

Is cool LadyZ...not everyone owns a dictonary, or uses it.

------------------

"Heads are gonna roll..."
Old 09-16-2001, 05:56 PM   #109
Rikard

Quote:
Originally posted by KHaN:
CloudyKins,
"Dock" when used (properly) in reference tp people is where prisoners are placed in court. You know, those people taken there to be judged . Just so you know.

Nice to know, I never heard this before

------------------

Old 09-16-2001, 05:57 PM   #110
Fljotsdale

Hm. Penny just dropped. nAHk and Kahn are the same person! Am I the last to see it? Sigh! Always WAS slow in the uptake, lol!

------------------