Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2001, 06:12 AM   #1
petermh
Welcomed New User

Hi,

I have completed the four room fights (cold, fire etc) but I am stuck there, I can't get to the chess game. All 4 rooms are clear, I'm even allowed to rest in them.

Any suggestions

Peter
petermh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2001, 08:37 AM   #2
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I think one of those rooms is where you warp into the next section. I cannot remember well, but I think it is the Ice room...try entering all rooms again, and see if you get warped away. I think that is right...sorry if it is not. But don't worry, Ertai will be along in a few hours to confirm this, if nobody else has responded by then.

------------------

Larry, Sell-Sword to the OHF
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2001, 12:37 PM   #3
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

HAHA im here Larry !!

Ive heard of problems with that, you should try reloading and doing the fire room the last. I´ve always left that for the end, and when i killed the guys in there i was automatically teleported to the chess room.

if your savegame isnt "soon" enough to do all the elemental rooms, at least try to redo some of the rooms.

If this doesnt serve, try doing the following, though im not sure about it and it may be dangerous:

1.- Delete all the files in your "temp" and "tempsave" folders in your Baldurs Gate directory (c:\BG\temp\ and c:\BG\tempsave\ for example)
2.- Delete all the files in the "override" directory
** (I recommend you to save them in a separate folder, to restore them later if you need. ive tried this and the game runs ok, but im not sure so i strongly recommend you to save them).
3.- Reload, and i think you will be teleported

Luck my friend !

------------------
"Let my spells do the dirty work" Ertai, High Sorceror of the Holy Flame
Xanthul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2001, 12:58 PM   #4
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Always right behind me!!

------------------

Old 04-03-2001, 01:18 PM   #5
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

Thanks Larry !

Anyway i would like someone tell me if im right about deleting the files in the override folder, cause im not sure about it. I read once that deleting the files in the override folder (or maybe the temp, im not sure) some minor bugs were fixed, like when you trigger some quest or action, you reload and you cant trigger it again (for example, if you talked to Garrick in Bg1, then talked to Silke, then reloaded to a point where you hadnt talked to Garrick, you could not take this quest unless you cleaned up some folder).

I hope this isnt TOO confusing

------------------
Old 04-04-2001, 03:43 PM   #6
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I once called Interplay gaming techs about the ladder problem I was having with Icewind Dale, and the techs. first suggestion was for me to empty out the Override folder. I asked him what would happen and he said nothing...It was true...nothing happened.

------------------

Old 04-04-2001, 04:38 PM   #7
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

Thanks Larry, then i suppose its the Override forlder the one you whould empty out petermh

------------------
Old 04-06-2001, 05:03 AM   #8
petermh
Welcomed New User

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I tried cleaning out the override folder and went back to a game which was saved just before I went down the stairs to this (the 4 fights level) level to finish off the last room. However when I click on the stairs to go down, BG crashes and burns.

So I backed up the saves directory and re-installed BG1 & TOSC. Reloaded the above save game and down I went. I've fought the last room about 6 times, still no chess game.

I assume the fact that the game will let me rest in each room is a good sign that the game engine sees the rooms as clear.

I think that I will have to call tech support on this one as it seems to be a game problem. Just bought BG2, but I would like to finish this first, its getting personal now!

Again many thanks!
petermh is offline   Reply With Quote