Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2001, 05:36 PM   #1
Scronan
Zhentarim Guard

Hi again,

I was paying close attention to my characters stats showing their # of attacks, and I found that when they reach a weapon proficiency of around 50 they are given a second attack. Then some other factors determine the multiple strikes per attack.

Sslar finally got a second attack (only hitting once each time, but he packs a WHALLOP!), and his Sword skill was around 50 as well, but he got this just after a fight where his skills went up. It didn't have anything to do with getting an experience level. Not sure what his Close Combat skill level was, or if this is a factor here (it more than likely is I think).

Evenstar (as a Ninja) had a Martial Arts skill of 54 and a Close Combat skill of 39 when she obtained a second strike for her attack (again, after a big fight when he stats went up). Now, all of her attacks can hit twice, and she gets three attacks per round (2 for kicking, and one for punching). Sometimes she punches twice and kicks once, or vice versa. Just this small change made her go from a so so scrapper to a butt kick'n fighting machine!

I still don't see many critical hits, and she has a rating in this up in the high 60's.

Anyone else observe this for their characters? I'm trying to understand how this works but I don't know that much about it. Learning is half the fun though. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Saz, any ideas here?

Best,

Scronan
Old 11-04-2001, 06:37 PM   #2
Moni

I did notice as a monk, fighting with her bare hands, Evenstar was getting two strikes per turn at level 5, close combat. I just changed her over to a Ninja before I quit earlier so I have yet to observe and learn.
Old 11-04-2001, 11:14 PM   #3
Greystone
The Magister

What levels are you guys getting your characters up to, and how are you doing this (in such a short demo)?

--Greystone
Greystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2001, 11:47 PM   #4
Moni

Mine are only 5 and 6.
I think you have to set the monster level up to expert when you start to get bigger badder monsters for more EP's.
I tried that near the end of my second play through and had an encounter with 6 or 8 cockroaches worth close to 90 HP each. They were worth 4830 or more EP's but had killed my ranger by the time I was done. I also got some cool bacsinets and a bastard sword from the trynnie spirits with that setting, whereas the first time I only got one set of leather greaves.

I had encountered metallic slimes in my first playthrough but had gone back outside (late in the "game") before I ever got them. I don't know if that has anything else to do with that, but in my second playthrough I tried hanging out, exploring and even camping and didn't get any extra encounters but for the roaches in the hall a few minutes ago and I got far enough that all I have to do now is leave LOL.

Maybe Sir Scronan can give us a clue?! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2001, 11:56 PM   #5
Greystone
The Magister

I got "extra" encounters several times (about 30-40% of time when camping). The critters in these encounters were small spiders, various assorted slimes, and once, a group of seekers (the normal ~20 hp variety). I never encountered metal slimes, although I did find some pirana-like fish in the stream above the waterfall...

--Greystone
Greystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2001, 04:45 AM   #6
Davros
Takhisis Follower

On a slightly different topic, why is it, that sometimes the bard refuses to play the pipes - the old "I don't wanna" thing. Does anyone know what causes that????
Old 11-05-2001, 11:06 AM   #7
Scronan
Zhentarim Guard

Howdy Folks,

Gosh, a bunch of questions, let me answer them all if I can. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Moni - Any character who fights with their bare hands will get two strikes (they have two hands, right?). Evenstar does more damage for being a Monk, and starts out with just two.

So far, I've verified that getting 50 in a Weapon skill will give you a second "attack" (not hit per attack). So far Sslar and my Ranger got this second attack upon getting a weapon skill of 50. But, you only get this second attack when using this weapon, but that's pretty obvious. [img]smile.gif[/img]

It seems the system is pretty much the same as in Wiz 7, where at best a high level character could have 4 attacks (two primary, two secondary), and then could have anywhere from 4+ hits per attack. I think 4 might have been the max, but I seem to recall a character I had who did 5 or 6, maybe I'm wrong? Saz, can you verify this?

I'm still not sure at what point you are given the second hit. Evenstar has not only multiple attacks, but multiple strikes per attack. I'm not sure what other factor affect this. It might be speed or dexterity, but then again in might just be the weapon skill. I'm very close to figuring it out and will post when I do. So far she is the only character who has these skills.

On that note, anyone try turning Iona into a Samurai? Every now and then, she will unlease the "lightning strike", and will attack 4 times in sucession! Its pretty awesome! [img]smile.gif[/img]

I'll post about how to get the high levels in another post, I want to keep this one about the attacks and such.

Best,

Scronan

P.S. Davros - I'm not sure about the Bard not playing the pipes, could be she doesn't have a target, or her music skill.
Old 11-05-2001, 11:41 AM   #8
vesselle
Hathor

~~davros~~

i am curious about iona and her refusal to attack also.

i have had her do it with the pipes and several times with her omnigun mk 1. she has definite attack material (NOTE: several pustulent slimes are in front of her, and have been in that position for several rounds-so no sudden moves on their part), and her pipes are equipped (NOTE: not thru "use last item"- i have found that to be unreliable).

yet there it is, she turns her back on the monsters and helping out her mates and just says that she doesn't feel like it. i thot at first it was her version of a "fizzle" but there isn't any notation of it in the combat text box, whereas spell fizzles do show up there.

maybe she feels playing the pipes is an artistic endeavor, and she has lost her muse for that round? ::smiles big:: i'm not even gonna suggest PMS making her moody. lol!

V***V

vesselle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2001, 12:53 PM   #9
Moni

quote:
Originally posted by Davros:
On a slightly different topic, why is it, that sometimes the bard refuses to play the pipes - the old "I don't wanna" thing. Does anyone know what causes that????

I think that has something to do with a low stamina level.
[img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-05-2001, 01:05 PM   #10
vesselle
Hathor

~~moni~~

AHA!! yep. i remember her yellow stick being very very short. so her stamina was the cause?

i wonder why she runs out of it so fast? i have yet to keep anyone else in the party full of stamina, but Iona's just drops. i didn't think playing an instrument was so taxing on a person.

however, she is classed over to a Gadgeteer. i wonder if playing the instruments from her old profession drains her more than using her omnigun?

V***V

vesselle is offline   Reply With Quote