Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2006, 10:15 PM   #1
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

In a lot of ways I don't know whatt the big deal is about this game. Maybe it's 'cos there's nothing else out there right now. The game mechanics are pretty damn bad. You get stuck in a door way and have to go back out; your view is blocked by a wall and you have to turn your camera angle; you get stuck on corners or doors; you click on a box and walk a 360 around it first; it's just not very good over all.

I've tried various camera settings and they're all not very good. Then there's the stupid henchman thing. Why not just let us make another character or a least let us be able to give them some of the cool stuff we find instead of lugging it all to the nearest merchant.

I would much rather roll up my stats randomly than the same number to work with everytime. It really makes every character the same. Then I'm inclined to use the console thing, but then I feel I'm cheating.

Then there's the exp thing. Before you know it you're getting 3-4 exp per kill! Wow, what fun and excitement!

I'll stop there for now. I hope others will join in. It's just an opinion, no need to crap on me.

[ 01-27-2006, 10:18 PM: Message edited by: Variol (Farseer) Elmwood ]
Old 01-28-2006, 12:15 AM   #2
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

While some of the mechanics are a bit odd, and path finding is really strained at times, the overall charm of this game for me has been online play. The original NWN's shipped with a toolset, and that was the thing you were buying, and the community has done some really great things. Z's mod comes immediately to mind. But that is only one great work of the many out there. There are literally thousands of community made modules available for download, not to mention thousands of online worlds to play in. Interaction with people from all over the world has been one of the things that lets the minor annoyances slip over my head during an online session. Read through the archives of the EFU thread, and check out some of the funny stories that were generated while chars fought for their lives in Undermountain for an example of what I mean. This game, like all games, has it's problems, but the good times had with friends both new and old makes it well worth it.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 06:18 AM   #3
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

You know, I've never played any game online. I'm not even sure why, I just feel I wouldn't like it. I havn't tried any of the other modules either. I have to admit my computer skills are novice in some areas which I think is what keeps me from trying those things.

I would be willing to try some online gaming if you'll have me. [img]smile.gif[/img]

What's the addiction facture like?
Old 01-28-2006, 06:41 AM   #4
Legolas
Jack Burton

I can't say I've ever considered the camera angles to be a problem. You have full control over where she points through both keyboard and mouse. The only two things I don't like about it, is that it's locked to the character you're playing, and that directing positions during cutscenes is nowhere near as easy as it was with Warcraft 3.
Also, most of the time I use my keyboard to walk around. That overrides any pathfinding problems you might encounter and works like a charm for me.

The big deal, though, is the multiplayer aspect as our bard described. There is some great and fun roleplay going on in places. In others, you can test your skills against monsters or other players, clean out trapped dungeons for treasure, simply sit and chat, play blackjack, unravel a campaign or storyline, strive to grow more and better crops than your neighbours, tame dragons, or do whatever the module creator or yourself can come up with.
It's not pnp, it's different. But there are a lot of different aspects to it, and for most players there are one or two they can greatly enjoy.

Most everyone agrees though, that running through the official campaign alone isn't all that spectacular.

Say NO to the Trouser Tyranny!
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 07:13 AM   #5
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

I think one of the big turn-offs with online gaming was that you had to pay monthly. Is that true in this case?
Old 01-28-2006, 08:18 AM   #6
Legolas
Jack Burton

No, it's not.

Say NO to the Trouser Tyranny!
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 09:02 AM   #7
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Ok, how 'bout inviting me for a game?
Old 01-28-2006, 09:32 AM   #8
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

That's the other beauty of this game, if your version is current with any of the servers running, you can log onto any server that is not password protected. In the beginning, that's what I did, and in doing so, I found modules that accented what it was I wanted to do at the time, whether that be roleplay, or strictly hack and slash. I sometimes enjoy just sitting in a tavern on some realm and just chatting as well. The only limits on the online play are your imagination, and the imagination of the module's creator. There are some truly inspired people out there too. Check the EFU thread, and find the hak paks, custom content, needed for Z's mod, download it, and log in. I promise you you'll have a good time, even if nobody else is there. You'll also need CEP for most of the online modules, and I suck at links, but perhaps one of our other esteemed members can help you out.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 10:08 AM   #9
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Check the EFU thread, and find the hak paks, custom content, needed for Z's mod, download it, and log in

See stuff like that just confuses me. If you never do that sort of thing it has no meaning.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:17 AM   #10
Marathon
Elminster

It's pretty easy - just go to the EFU forum (right underneath this one) and look at the first or second topic - "How to log on and play in EFU". It gives step by step instructions on what you need to download, etc. After that you'll be ready to go.

In addition to the online version of the game, you can also download modules that the community has built and play those solo. The game really never ends.

[ 01-28-2006, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: Marathon ]
Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote