Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2003, 12:24 PM   #1
Rokenn
Galvatron

Surprisingly this is NOT an Onion article!

Man sets new Donkey Kong record
Thursday, July 17, 2003 Posted: 11:59 AM EDT (1559 GMT)

REDMOND, Washington (AP) -- Steve Wiebe now rules as the Donkey Kong king after setting a new world record with more than 900,000 points in the classic video game.

The victory was a solitary one.

A few times a week, after his two young kids had gone to bed and his wife, Nicole, was busy working, the 34-year-old would head to the garage and turn on the video camera that would prove his score.

He diligently set to work maneuvering Mario to dodge objects thrown by an angry ape.

"Since I'd been trying so long, it wasn't like I jumped out of my chair or anything (when I got that score)," he said.

Record stood for 20 years
Finally last week, the Redmond resident broke an 879,200-point record set last year by a New York man, which edged past one set nearly 20 years ago by Billy Mitchell, a Florida man generally consider the Don of the Arcade Game. Mitchell's mark was 874,300.

Wiebe scored 947,200 points in the 22 levels of the game. He sent a videotape documenting his feat to Twin Galaxies, the definitive scorekeeping organization for gamers.

The record was big enough news to video-game enthusiasts that they crashed the organization's Web site, said Robert Mruczek, chief referee at Twin Galaxies.

"If you beat a gamer with the caliber of Billy Mitchell, that's a feather in your cap," he said. "They're the cream of the crop when it comes to video gaming."

Hooked on Kong
Despite all the points, Donkey Kong is not a game players can win. It ends with what's known as a kill screen, a final level that's impossible to beat. Even if a character could run headlong through the course with no obstacles, it never could make it in the time allotted.

Wiebe has been hooked on the game since college.

Mitchell, 37, says he only counts his scores if they're played in a public venue, and he won't say if he can beat his cross-country competitor. He'll only say that he's planning something big and unprecedented in response to Wiebe's win.

Nintendo smiles
The competition is just fine by Nintendo, which created Donkey Kong.

"We always smile when we hear about these kinds of things," company spokeswoman Perrin Kaplan said. "Donkey Kong means 'stubborn monkey' (in one rough translation from Japanese), and the fact that (Wiebe) was able to achieve this many points against a stubborn monkey says something."

Wiebe said he'll keep striving for the million-point mark, then retire.

The former Boeing engineer and computer-software tester plans to head back to school to become a high-school math and science teacher.
Old 07-17-2003, 12:39 PM   #2
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Pffft, when i find the time, i'll break that petty record later this week.
Old 07-17-2003, 01:10 PM   #3
Djinn Raffo
Ra

I don't believe this. I had the original Donkey Kong on the Coleco Vision and i remember being able to roll the score numerous times. Records bogus man.. I have the unofficial record i'm telling you.
Old 07-17-2003, 01:30 PM   #4
Lavindathar
Harper

PMSL!
Old 07-17-2003, 03:25 PM   #5
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

ceh! only 900000. I can do better than that. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-17-2003, 05:22 PM   #6
IronDragon
Elminster

And they say the age of heroes is behind us.
Old 07-17-2003, 06:43 PM   #7
Bruce The Aussie
Fzoul Chembryl

yeh well...that game is easy. if you want a hard game try duck hunt on the nes! i am the master at that game...with a score of 660 000. oh yes! praise me!...also, i could beat his score with both hands behind my back*

*and my brother hacking the machine
Old 07-17-2003, 07:09 PM   #8
Animal
Gold Dragon

Interesting how the story came out of Redmond. Steve Wiebe or could it be...Bill Gates?