Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2001, 07:46 PM   #11
Djinn Raffo
Ra

quote:
Originally posted by Silver Cheetah:

I tend to buy from small local producers wherever possible. I never buy bigname brands - for political reasons.

I see all soft drinks as crap, really. I wouldn't drink one if you paid me! To my palate, they all taste nasty!! (Same way as most of you probably don't really fancy tofu and seaweed... [img]smile.gif[/img] ) Chock full of sugar and additives, no nutritional value at all.... taste foul, what's the point? ( I realise almost no-one is going to agree with me on this one.... [img]graemlins/nibbles.gif[/img]

YAYA! Silver Cheetah!
I try to buy local product always when it comes to produce and things like this. Name brand...ah...doesnt really matter hell of a lot to me one way or another.

Soda...bla...while i may indulge with some pepsi in my rye...i try to avoid pop at all costs. The commercials are the worst!
Old 11-29-2001, 07:56 PM   #12
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:

We don't have a Bi-Lo here any more [img]smile.gif[/img] , but our Harris Teeter seems to have a better meat department than FL. Actually, I'm one of those guys who buys meat from the discount bin...lol. I cook it the same day or freeze it. I usually get it for about half price.

I always check the "green meat" section myself, in all grocery stores! I've gotten $15 steaks for $7 in certain Harris Teeters in certain neoghborhoods lol. Not good enough for them? Their loss! I'll take a 2" thick ribeye at half-price anyday!
Old 11-29-2001, 08:02 PM   #13
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

quote:

I tend to buy from small local producers wherever possible.

I live in a community where agriculture is second only to textiles in terms of business. All of my produce is bought from "mom and pop" farms. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2001, 08:49 PM   #14
Moni

I'd read the ingredients on some of the generic or off brand name products you buy...you get what you pay for and some of that "food" is not even natural! I read labels since I had a stomach injury (ruptured in an auto accident) that causes me to get ill eating chemically processed foods...I've been surprised by some of the things that pass for food LOL.

Old 11-30-2001, 09:35 AM   #15
Epona
Zartan

RB - Levi jeans $35? They can cost £80 (about $120) here, I guess buying them is not such an issue for you!

SC - YAY! I agree with you (surprise). I don't have any brand name clothing except for a pair of trainers which I got in the bargain bucket during a sale - well I didn't know what they were until someone pointed it out to me - I don't pay much attention to logos. I try to buy local organic stuff, not always easy around here.

About generic medicines - I get what I'm given. I don't pay for it other than through taxes, so it's usually generic. I don't care as long as it works. (Actually that's not true, I do care about the fact that huge multinational corporations make a huge profit out of illness through the mark up on brand names).
Old 11-30-2001, 10:00 AM   #16
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

I buy both, depends on the product. I've had name and generic drugs (usually generic if one is available and acceptable to my physician) but there are a few over the counter items I can only get name brands for.

As for soda, yes indeed! Generic brands taste 'funny'. I probably should own Coke by now, with as much as I've bought over the years! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
I have found that some of my store brands for things like canned or frozen veggies are pretty good! I do notice a difference in the soups but not so much that I won't buy them, but I also buy name brands occasionally.
As for tea, I'm picky. I don't like the decaf Lipton stuff at all. Tastes 'flat' when brewed. So I had been buying Tetley but now I can't find the low caffeine version and have defaulted to Salada.

Tetley makes the best instant ice tea I've ever tried. I hate really sweet, cloying ice tea and this is much closer to what I brew when I have time. None of the store brands comes close. Too much sweetener and other things added.

In the clothing market, I buy what I like that fits, regardless of labels. Not always much choice there!
Old 11-30-2001, 10:10 AM   #17
MagiK

quote:

I tend to buy from small local producers wherever possible. I never buy bigname brands - for political reasons.

I see all soft drinks as crap, really. I wouldn't drink one if you paid me! To my palate, they all taste nasty!! (Same way as most of you probably don't really fancy tofu and seaweed... [img]smile.gif[/img] ) Chock full of sugar and additives, no nutritional value at all.... taste foul, what's the point? ( I realise almost no-one is going to agree with me on this one.... [img]graemlins/nibbles.gif[/img]

I agree on several points [img]smile.gif[/img] No nutritional value in soda's chock full of sugar and preservatives... but I also know that I detest the taste of tea and coffee so Im left with soft drinks to supply my necessary caffein intake [img]smile.gif[/img] As for the preservatives no one has proven conclusively that they are bad for you..since preservatives have been added to our foods, the rate of death from botchulism has plumted to next to nothing (at least in the USA) and the average age we live to has sky rocketed..sooooooo... hehe we all have our poisons...

I buy brands when I know the quality I need is there..in the USA the law demands that generic over the counter meds be identicle to the name brands...so I buy generic. If the same laws applied to cars, clothes and equipment..Id buy generic...untill them Ill stick with my Merril Hiking boots (one of the better brands this pair has lasted me nearly 5 years so far and my dads are over 10 years old with heavy use) I buy Levi or Lee jeans because they last much longer for me, (so I pay less in the long run)...I don't think you should let "name branding" through you off...its kind of like cutting your nose off to spite your face...make the most of your purchases...the bottom dollar is not always the best route....ok enough Ive posted more than my share on this subject.

Old 11-30-2001, 10:12 AM   #18
MagiK

quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
I always go for brand names re medicines, dunno why, just would rather I suppose, and my insurance picks up most of the tab anyway. As for clothing, especially jeans, I'll take anything that fits me no matter what brand name it is (very hard for me to find jeans that fit me, I wear a 1 or a 0)!

YIKES!!! you sound emaciated eat girl eat!! hehe seriously that is small with a Capitol S

Old 11-30-2001, 10:14 AM   #19
MagiK

quote:
Originally posted by Lord of Alcohol:
Ronn B, dont know about the alka-seltzer substitute but the Food Lion meat dept just sucks. And I'm not refering to the 20/20 episode. Most of the meat there just looks...sub-par. Bad cuts, skinny steaks ,etc. Shop BI-LO!!!!!!!! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

LOL hehe BiLO you arent in PA are you? My dad used to be a big wig with a store called Riverside, now I think most of the Riversides have been turned into BiLo's [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-30-2001, 10:40 AM   #20
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
I always go for brand names re medicines, dunno why, just would rather I suppose, and my insurance picks up most of the tab anyway. As for clothing, especially jeans, I'll take anything that fits me no matter what brand name it is (very hard for me to find jeans that fit me, I wear a 1 or a 0)!

SIZE 1 OR LESS!!!!!!!!!! Quick! Someone get this girl a cheeseburger!