Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2004, 03:22 AM   #1
uss
20th Level Warrior

I tried this game SP when it was released. Bearing in mind that it was the 1.0 version and I only tried Single Player, I wasn't very impressed. Describing my gaming taste a bit, I like BG, Fallout, PS:T, Diablo II and Warcraft III. What annoyed me was the XP system, the bugs(which are probably all fixed by now), and generally the SP campaign.

What do you guys think, after playing this for such a long time, is it fun/addictive? Or have you lost interest?

If I try this game again, I'll take the expansions also, so it's better if you have them if you wish to post in this thread.

Thanks.
uss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 05:58 AM   #2
andrewas
Harper

The game has definately improved since the first version. But the NWN OC is as bad as ever. If you really hated it, you wont like it much more now. But the SoU and the HotU OCs both improve on the NWN OC, and there are some good modules out now, so it may be worth a shot.
Old 04-25-2004, 09:48 AM   #3
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

I was and am a giant fan of Baldur's Gate I & II. I Played all the Icewind Dale Series and When NWN first came out I was supprised that it just plain sucked! I Hated NWN Part 1 it just didn't come close to the Game play of any of the other Bioware & Black Isle RPG's. So I played the complete Morrowind series instead and loved them. Then came Ziroc and the Escape from Undermountain Mod and the Second NWN game expansion #1 Shadows of Undrentide. I bought SoU because of the raves that Ziroc made about the game and I found that there were 10 new patches for the First NWN game which were now combined and placed in the SoU expansion.

Day 1 NWN Expansion "Shadows of Undrentide"

I got home with the expansion and I remember saying to myself: "Ziroc I hope this is half as good as your rave was". I turned on My PC and loaded SoU and started reading the little Book with the basics on character Building that came with the game. I was suprised at what the Bioware team had done to NWN! Now they were no longer under the influience of Interplay and were given a free hand and also the guys that did most of the work on the expansion were the old Baldurs Gate II team. I sat the book down and started the game. Right from the start This version of NWN was different. It has more excitement better graphics and it had more of a BG-II in 3-D feel. Then I got past the first two hours and my PC was really coming to life even though this wasn't BG-II it was the Forgotter Realms and it felt like it. I had to go eat dinner and while eating all I could think about was SoU. I was Hooked NWN had finally become the game I had wanted the first NWN game to be.

The second Expansion comes out "Hordes of the Underdark"

By the time HotU came out I was playing online every weekend with Ziroc's Escape from Undermountain and playing SoU every night M-F. I had now played through SoU 6 times and was working on my seventh time when HotU came out. I was going crazy because I hadn't paid attention to the date and had not set any money aside for the game or didn't think I had so I was waiting for payday. Everybody at Ironworks was talking about HotU on the forum and those that had the game were posting once that they had the game and they would talk to us in a few days because the new expansion was better then SoU by a facter of 10.
Then I was looking through my cigar boxes trying to find something and I opened the third of 20 or so I put stuff in and the only thing in there was a 7 week old printout page with the add for HotU expansion and a $100.00 bill I almost fell out of my chair. I had totally forgotten I had set the money aside for the game.

Hordes of the Underdark

They did it! The Bioware team had gotten closer the feel of Baldur's Gate II then ever before. The game play was smooth and the story was great. I played the new expansion for 11 hours and realized I had played all night and I was suspose to be at work in less then an hour so what did I do? The only thing a dedicated employee could do.... I called in sick and played for 5 more hours. LOL

If I were you I wouldn't be reading this I would be headed to the store to get BOTH expansions.
The first NWN was garbage compaired to what they have now and the game isn't over yet. I have a good feeling that Bioware will put out another expansion sometime in the near future and I put another $100.00 bill in the cigar box with a piece of plain paper and I wrote on it with Red Marker NWN expansion #3 or next Bioware "Forgotten Realms" Game!

Oh yeah there are almost 150 MODs on the internet you can download and 10 of them are really quite good. And most of all don't forget to play on line "Its totally FREE on line" and join in on Ziroc's MOD Escape from Undermountain. He Upgrades it weekly and adds levels almost every other month or so. Soon or sometime soon we hope he'll finish it and put it out for down load also Free!!

[ 04-25-2004, 10:02 AM: Message edited by: TheCrimsomBlade ]
Old 04-26-2004, 01:35 PM   #4
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

CrimsonBlade, you remind me of that guy on the Wendy's commercials who "unofficially" represents the company. [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]
Old 04-26-2004, 04:18 PM   #5
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Hmmm...maybe I'll spend some cash on the expansions. I was disgusted with the original game, completed it so easily and I was so disappointed - having just completed BG2 I was expecting a game of similar caliber from them. Time to rummage around in the back of my cupboard [img]smile.gif[/img] How many hours do you think there are in total to these two expansions?
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 05:42 PM   #6
Stratos
Vampire

Less hours than NWN, but much more fun along the way. NWN sometimes felt that it was never gonna end.
Old 04-27-2004, 10:20 AM   #7
vesselle
Hathor

and when it did end, it was such a non-ending.

btw, crimsonblade... just so you know... floodgate entertainment was responsible for making Shadows of Undrentide.

floodgate (ex-Looking Glass Studios designers who, among other great titles, did both of the Thief games) totally scored big with the SoU expansion. i will happily buy anything else they make that has a rp flavor to it.

V***V
Old 04-27-2004, 10:11 PM   #8
Cienden
Manshoon

Guess I'll get the expansions after I get my PC running again.

I really truly hated NWN at first and it took me several tries before I got into the game and got to enjoy it. I think running around the city for the first part kills the fun. I think it's boring. But I'll have to go through it again since I lost my saves when the hdd failed. grrr
Old 04-27-2004, 10:25 PM   #9
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Here is another vote in favor of expansions. The HotU one is especially nice. On top of that, you get the CEP download hak and you will be one happy little puppy.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:38 AM   #10
faiden
Elite Waterdeep Guard

lol nice post