Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2003, 04:30 PM   #11
SecretMaster
Apophis

Biggest quake 3 fan probably here. Quake III is mainly for multiplayer, very different from quake1&2. I play QIII online pretty much everyday so if you see me, I go by [IV]GeneralRackston (IV is the clan I am part of).

Get all the quakes by buying the quake collectors addition. I still see it in babbabges, and i am eagerly awaiting q4.
Old 07-16-2003, 05:01 PM   #12
Oblivion437
Baaz Draconian

The original doom had something of a sci fi feel, Doom II didn't even come close. Most of the levels were just fragfests and texture shows. Ultimate Doom was Doom with an episode that would have been better in Doom II, and Final Doom was to Doom what the second Quake II expansion was to Quake II... Crap. Finally, Doom III is being done the same way HL and Shock 2 were done, with the story totally mapped out and planned before development on the technology even began. Carmack wanted to be sure it would turn out as planned, so naturally just built the engine and stuff around the game's intended final result. This gives the game's engine a limited license potential, but it contributes more directly to the design, as opposed to Quake 2 and 3 which were just showcases for technology in a lot of ways.
Old 07-16-2003, 06:09 PM   #13
Gnarf
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Should you play doom now you would not like it: 320x240, no mouse aiming (that means strafing and turning are done via the keyboard), no look up and down, no real 3d environment (only fake 3d obtained by putting vertical two dimensional walls). Also you might experience sea sickness: yes, nausea, due to the waving movement of the weapon and the depthless textures.
I haven't tried any other ports than Legacy really much, but I know that at least Doom Legacy has option fer higher res, mouse-aim, up'n down looking, 3d floors thingy (which is pretty much "real" 3d (edit: of course, map-makers have to use'em for them to be [img]tongue.gif[/img] so you won't notice it in the campaign)... and splitscreen (mentioned that earlier, but it's the coolest thing about it).
Quote:
If you want a similar game, buy SErious Sam 1 or 2. THe same frag fest feeling, but with a great engine and great maps and great weapons and great monsters and I guess you got the message. Not the same atmosphere, though. No horror, just happy fragging, and bad macho humor.
Yeah, Serious Sam's really cool... haven't tried the 2nd one, will get it someday soon I think.

[ 07-16-2003, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: Gnarf ]
Old 07-16-2003, 10:22 PM   #14
GokuZool
Lord Ao

Quote:
Yeah, Serious Sam's really cool... haven't tried the 2nd one, will get it someday soon I think.
I agree; Serious Sam is a sweet game!

Those Beserker enemies are classic [img]graemlins/laugh3.gif[/img]