Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2004, 03:43 PM   #11
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

My parents have a timeshare that's fantastic! They've been in Myrtle Beach, San Francisco, various parts of Florida and they love it!

But I've heard of the scam you're talking about, quietman...*shudder*..must be really annoying! Although, I have to say, I'd find a phone and call a cab and leave when I wanted to and if that weren't possible, just tell the 'hosts' to take you home...if they don't want to, tell them you'll consider yourself to be held against your will, most of them don't like the idea of criminal charges being pressed.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:04 PM   #12
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
Chewie, I bet I can figure out the shop too! Either that or it's a really widespread scam, because I got the same call after buying my wedding gown! I told them 'no thanks' and hung up, though because I hadn't entered any contests and they insisted I had by registering at the bridal shop, which just didn't sound right.
Wup its a national chain...David's Bridal IIRC. They sell their customer lists to these scammer. Well it's good thing you just hung up Cloudy because it sucks to get your hopes up for a free honeymoon during the stress and financial wrangling of planning a wedding!

That's what I find so insidious about this scam, it seems to prey on a venerable 'once in a lifetime' event and they throw it at you during what could be a very stressful time of wedding planning.

[ 02-25-2004, 10:05 PM: Message edited by: Chewbacca ]
Old 02-25-2004, 10:40 PM   #13
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Yeppers, that's the one, Chewbacca! I'd read about the scams on some wedding forums while checking on rumors that they did lousy work at alterations.

It struck a chord when I got the call and I told them no and hung up after arguing that I never signed up for any giveaways. You'd be surprised what 'David's Bridal complaints' gets on search engines!

I agree, it's pretty low to offer 'free' honeymoons in their bait and switch scam. I don't know about you and your intended bride, but I can say I'm pretty keyed up and have MORE than enough stress without that sort of thing to deal with! And of course, the honeymoon's the one thing you want to spend money on but usually don't have it after you pay off the other vendors up to the wedding.