Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2003, 12:00 AM   #41
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

There is a chapter in the book Myth and Ritual in Christianity by Alan Watts that discusses, technically, what Satanism (which he term "Luciferanism") really constitutes, at least from the Catholic point of view. Trust me, it isn't what you might think. [img]graemlins/beigesmilewinkgrin.gif[/img]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 09-21-2003, 04:22 AM   #42
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

Satanism, christianity, its all about giving something of yourself.
With satanism its blood, with christianity its 10% of your yearly income.
You decide which faith screws you the hardest ....
And please: do correct me if I'm wrong believers! I've had my fair share of 'modern' christians so I know what I'm talking about ...
Old 09-21-2003, 05:57 AM   #43
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Hey, Vaskez, you don't need an award to be sarcastic, y'know

Edited to put the word "you" in italics because otherwise, the phrase has a spiteful meaning rather than a teasing one.

[ 09-21-2003, 08:21 AM: Message edited by: Kaltia ]

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Old 09-21-2003, 08:19 AM   #44
Azimaith
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Lovisa:
Please tell me what u think of satanism and satanists.

My opinion is that they have the same right as we other ppl do just because they have satan as good and god as bad they're not evil they are as normal as we are.
A satanist doesn't worship satan nor do they think of him as a god they only think him as one in god's place not a god itself. Some satanists do overdo their "satanistic role" with black magic and all that but most of 'em only think that the rules and commandment is better that the other religions.
I don't think we should look down at 'em we should let 'em have a part in our society as everyone else do.
I bet many of u disagree with what I have said here so tell me what u think and correct me if I'm wrong anywhere, I bet I am... [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Alrighty, Satanism if you are really talking about the offshoot of Judeaic christianity is naturally the worship of satan, this should not be confused with Wicca or paganism which is simply the worship of natural spirits, It was demonized by the church as satan worship because of the commandment "I am a jealous God, you shall have no other gods before me."

Satanists DO worship Satan though they might not refer to him by that name. There is an official church of satan, there is a real black mass. Whether they believe God himself is evil or simply would rather not bother with God at all thats their choice. Now the Church of Satan has gone through reform, it used to require all sorts of now illegal things which were removed as time moved on.
As for not looking down on them, you can't help but have some people, mainly people of the complete opposite faith, look down on him, its like being a Jew and your next door neighbhor worships Hitler. I don't need to know that you worship satan or god for that matter anyhow. If you held close to the Christian faith you would probably be offended by satanists, in fact the name Satan in Hebrew means Enemy, or opposer, the name satan stands for the enemy of man or god. If you want to go deeper, satan is later named Lucifer in Miltons Paradise lost I believe, lucifer being his angelic name before the fall meaning Light Bearer Luci=light, fer=to hold or carry, then you can go even farther into the old testament demonolgy where satan goes under so many names. The dragon, Baal(meaning lord, it was used by babylonians which deified their emperors), baalzebub(a combination of both persian I believe as well as babylonian Baal), behemoth (From sumerian mythos I believe), asmodaeus(origninally asmodaeus meant evil spirit but eventually became used as chief evil spirit), the devil, the fiend, ect, there are possibly more names for satan than for god, aw gehenna, im going off on random tangents here, anyhow, don't ask, don't tell, that goes for all religions. You tell and your asking for it either way.
The Democrats bash the Republicans and the Republicans bash the democrats, now everyones got mud in their eyes and they can\'t see what matters.<br />Check out this site: [url]\"http://www.thehaca.com/about.htm\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.thehaca.com/about.htm</a>
Old 09-21-2003, 09:29 AM   #45
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

i posted one thread about satanism before..
link is here:
http://www.ironworksforum.com/ubb/cg...;f=10;t=016251

my views and my own philosophy about it. its a bit long [img]tongue.gif[/img] . hope you might find something your looking for there.

Catch me if you can..
Old 09-21-2003, 09:35 AM   #46
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

oh yeah.. another thread made by me ages ago (well i think it was a year ago, well what the heck). i remembered i had an interesting view about satan then. just check the link.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/ubb/cg...;f=10;t=009243

Catch me if you can..
Old 09-21-2003, 09:56 AM   #47
BaRoN NiGhT

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
As for Satanists? They are either misguided fools or evil SOBs
yeah, they sure are fools!
Old 09-21-2003, 10:27 AM   #48
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by BaRoN NiGhT:
yeah, they sure are fools!
Cute, from the person who repeatedly lectured us about even discussing religions because you always end up insulting people, and who even thought my thread on religious tolerance should be closed. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Oh, and just a note for all those who are replying to Lovisa's original question: this is an old topic that was bumped, Lovisa might not even be around any more to read your replies. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 09-21-2003, 10:30 AM: Message edited by: Melusine ]
Old 09-21-2003, 10:32 AM   #49
BaRoN NiGhT

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
Cute, from the person who repeatedly and pedantically stated that we shouldn't discuss religions because you always end up insulting people, and who even thought my thread on religious tolerance should be closed. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
sure, b'cause religion-related things are very sensitive .
Old 09-21-2003, 10:40 AM   #50
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
I think you really need a clear definition of what you mean by "Satanism" here (before Yorick comes in... I think I remember what version of satanism he has experience with).

Do you mean Satanism according to Anton Szandor LaVey? Do you mean sick f***ed up idiots performing perverse and horrible rituals and excusing themselves by saying they're "Satanists"? Do you mean people who aren't Satanists at all, but Wiccans or other nature religion/paganism types, but who are branded Satanists out of ignorance? Do you mean the kind of Satanism that's a sort of egotistical hedonism, all about the importance of one's wants, 'Do what thou wilt' and all that? Do you mean the paganistic type of people who put forth that the Christian Devil is simply a distorted version of heathen gods like Pan or Loki and is therefore not evil? Do you mean pimply teens with black makeup up to their eyeballs who listen to black metal and think it means something?

In short, some of those groups have a legitimate "religion" and some are just playing, but others have used the term Satanism as a coverup for criminal behaviour (church-burnings, ritual rape, etc.) I think you need to establish what exactly it is you're talking about, to prevent misunderstandings. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Melusine is correct - there are several variations of "Satanism", with beliefs and theology varying greatly among the different versions.

There was a very good discussion about Satanism on IronWorks many months ago. It included a link to a site that explained the different belief systems that are grouped under the general heading of Satanism. Check it out to learn more about just how different the belief systems are.

As for my personal opinion, I agree with the description given by Leonis regarding a Christian perspective on Satanism. I disagree with the beliefs they hold, but I respect their rights to believe them.

BTW, the previous discussion on Satanism was both interesting and informative, with all sides being equally represented and equally respected. Anyone interested in what was said then can find it here - IW Discussion on Satanism