Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2003, 08:32 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

As many of you know, I have bought XP home, full install. I also have Office XP. I have no idea how to install it, but I am pretty good at figuring things out. The instruction manual does not give specifics, but dies include tips. However, I want to wipe WIn98 off my machine. How do I remove it, then get XP on? Once I get 98 off...are there any special steps that I would need to know to install XP?

Will anybody be able to give me a step-by-step guide to doing this tonight? Please?
Old 02-28-2003, 08:42 PM   #2
Animal
Gold Dragon

It goes without saying to have everything you want saved off of your current install backed up in some method. I'll leave you to that one.
Set your, BIOS to boot off of CD, throw the XP CD in your drive, and follow the prompts. You'll want to do a new install, not an upgrade of your existing installation, so choose to format your drive.
You'll be given the option of FAT32 or NTFS for your file system during the format. NTFS is more stable, provides additional security, but you loose a little performance, and 9x based systems won't be able to read it, if you have a network.
It's that simple.
Old 02-28-2003, 10:06 PM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Really? That is all ? Wow! That really is easy!So, I do not have to go to add/remove Programs and remove 98?

[ 02-28-2003, 10:09 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 02-28-2003, 10:13 PM   #4
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

No, you don't have to formally "remove" 98. Format the C: drive and it will be gone! This is what you want - trying to overwrite 98 with XP is a recipe for disaster.
Old 02-28-2003, 10:47 PM   #5
Animal
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
Really? That is all ? Wow! That really is easy!So, I do not have to go to add/remove Programs and remove 98?
Yep, it really is I would suggest heading over to the MS XP compatibility website http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/c...ty/default.asp and do a little reading and ivestigation to see what kind of problems, if any, to expect when XP is setting up your hardware.