Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2001, 08:11 AM   #1
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

I was in Johur Baru, Malaysia last night, and went to a stall to buy roti prata. Next to the stall was a fruit juice vendor. The vendor knew English and so helped me out talking to the roti prata seller, so I went over and bought some delicious fruit juice blends from him.

Behind him sat a girl with a muslim style headcloth sitting watching the vendor - her father.

She smiled at me. Such warm, genuine eyes I have not seen, I think, ever before. Calm and wise beyond her years, they contained no fear, malice, complexity, or hesitancy.

I was stunned by the warmth in the smile.

I complimented the vendor on his beautiful daughter whom he spoke of with much pride and love.

I then bought more from him, and left a tip five times as much as the required price. A paltry return gift for such a spiritual lift her smile gave me.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 12-13-2001, 08:15 AM   #2
Sir Exxon
Zartan

What a sweet story!

see ya!
Old 12-13-2001, 08:33 AM   #3
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

nice [img]smile.gif[/img]
wish i could see her what she would be in the future... its sad to see those kind of smiles nowadays ...

Catch me if you can..
Old 12-13-2001, 08:47 AM   #4
Lifetime
Red Dragon

I remember this day I was walking to school along my stretch of road (about 6.30 am). I'd been feeling really bad the past few days over things in my life and at that point I was pretty much trudging, having no desire or purpose to do anything, least of all go to school for tests. Then suddenly out of one of the condominiums this taxi drives out in front of me and halts for a second and I see these 2 kids taking a cab to school. And these are..probably 7-8 yrd olds and one of them just smiles this totally gleeful, joyous, happy smile at me and for just a second it takes my breath away. Its very strange, but its almost like that smile has no worries, no troubles, no insecurities, just total and unrestrained joy. Brightened up my week..
Incredible things that young children can do!
Old 12-13-2001, 08:53 AM   #5
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

quote:
Originally posted by Lifetime:
I remember this day I was walking to school along my stretch of road (about 6.30 am). I'd been feeling really bad the past few days over things in my life and at that point I was pretty much trudging, having no desire or purpose to do anything, least of all go to school for tests. Then suddenly out of one of the condominiums this taxi drives out in front of me and halts for a second and I see these 2 kids taking a cab to school. And these are..probably 7-8 yrd olds and one of them just smiles this totally gleeful, joyous, happy smile at me and for just a second it takes my breath away. Its very strange, but its almost like that smile has no worries, no troubles, no insecurities, just total and unrestrained joy. Brightened up my week..
Incredible things that young children can do!

Wow. Like this bolt of sunlight that hits you. Incredible.

We need each other. As humans. Funny that even as strangers we can pass on love and joy. Amazing.

Old 12-13-2001, 01:16 PM   #6
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Seeing kids like that kinda makes the future seem just that much brighter. Thanks for sharing Yorick.
\"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.\"<br />-General George Patton (1885-1945)<br /> <br />Member of CLAN HADB<br />Founder of The Anti Clan Coalition
Old 12-14-2001, 08:43 AM   #7
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

quote:
Originally posted by MILAMBER:
Seeing kids like that kinda makes the future seem just that much brighter. Thanks for sharing Yorick.

No worries Milamber [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-14-2001, 08:53 AM   #8
Moiraine
Anubis

Now, Yorick, you know why, when I once said that you'd kept the child in yourself alive, it was a compliment. I believe it's very important to keep the child we once were alive, the child who looked at the world with magic and wonder. I strongly believe that most of the mean things humans can do, they wouldn't do if they hadn't forgotten that child ...

Do you think Bin Laden kept his child-self alive ?
Old 12-14-2001, 11:23 AM   #9
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
Maybe the vendor kept his daughter there just for customers to leave a bigger top when they see her....whheheh

Old 12-14-2001, 01:09 PM   #10
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

quote:
Originally posted by Grand-Ranger:
Maybe the vendor kept his daughter there just for customers to leave a bigger top when they see her....whheheh

Nah. It was late, dark and not a tourist area. Also I can pick those sorts. The eyes are wanting something. There's a sadness behind them.

Moiraine. Good call. Fair enough. [img]smile.gif[/img] Mr Laden is a very old, very crooked soul.