Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2001, 10:49 PM   #1
Yemeth
Elite Waterdeep Guard

My character went up against the black dragon(Niz-something) recently. He dual wields the Zerth blade and Celestial fury with a thac0 of -5 and -4 respectively. After the fight I looked at the message text and saw;

11+13=24: Miss
13+12(left)=25: Hit

Now, I'm pretty sure that the blk dragon's AC is either -12 or -10, lets says it is -12. How the HELL do I miss on a roll of 24 with a thaco of -5!!!! Doesn't this mean that the dragon's AC is approximately -29! I know dragons are tough but not that tough.

With a thaco of -5 attacking an AC of -12 shouldn't I make a successful hit with a roll of 7 or higher? -5 + 12=7
If I had a thaco of 0 versus AC -12 I would need to roll a 12 right? 0+12=12

If my calculations are correct then how do I miss with a roll of 24? Does the dragon have a very good slashing modifier? Could this be the discrepancy? Any clarification would be much appreciated, thanks.
Old 06-18-2001, 12:39 AM   #2
sunder
Zhentarim Guard

mmm Good point. For one, the game isn't exactly like how D&D is suppose to work, there are alot of items, weapons, and skills that don't calculate THACO quite the way its suppose to.

If a dragon has -12 AC, And your Thaco is 0, then you should be hitting on a roll of 12. If your Thaco is -5, then yes, you should be hitting on a roll of 7. If the dragon has AC of -20 then with your thaco of -5 you should be hitting with a roll of 15.

Like I said, I believe the game has some major problems with displaying THACO and such wrong. Who knows, maybe the dragon does have different AC vs different weapons.
I usually kill them with magic, so I don't know for sure he he
Old 06-18-2001, 01:06 AM   #3
Yemeth
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for the reply Sunder. That dragon is pretty much the only ememy that I have trouble hitting. When fighting most other monsters, I usually only miss when I roll a 1 or 2. So you can see how frustrating it would be when I wiff on a roll of 24! I guess it could be a bug since I never patched my game, but who knows. I can still kick that dragon's but solo but it just takes a lot longer than it should
Old 06-18-2001, 01:26 AM   #4
BladeMaster

Quote:
Originally posted by Yemeth:
Thanks for the reply Sunder. That dragon is pretty much the only ememy that I have trouble hitting. When fighting most other monsters, I usually only miss when I roll a 1 or 2. So you can see how frustrating it would be when I wiff on a roll of 24! I guess it could be a bug since I never patched my game, but who knows. I can still kick that dragon's but solo but it just takes a lot longer than it should
How do you roll 24 on a 20 sided dice

------------------
By Clanggedin. What does a Dwarf have to do to get a drink around here. Say hi to my lover Tess.

http://www.angelfire.com/rpg/evermeet

Old 06-19-2001, 02:15 AM   #5
sunder
Zhentarim Guard

AH, your not rolling a 24 on a 1d20, what you are doing is rolling a 1d20, then ADDING on your to hit bonus.

So your not really rolling a 24, but kinda, you are

Roll 1d20, add in 13 to hit bonus, you are really getting a 14-33 roll. 1d20+13.
Old 06-19-2001, 03:44 AM   #6
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

Maybe Im missing something here. It depends on how many slots you have on your dual wield proficiency. If you have none dedicated then your seond weapon has a minus 6? penalty. with one slot dedicated its -4 and with 2 its -2. If Im correct youd have to have at least 3 slots to suffer no penalty with the offhand weapon.

Correct me if Im wrong guys --- I cant really remember---- I dont use dual wield that often.

------------------
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!!!!!!!!!