Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2002, 12:04 AM   #1
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

I picked up some "generic dwarven runes" before I got to Durlag's Tower. Now in DT I have picked up more runes. I suppose the ones I got in the basement of the tower are needed to progress further, but what about the ones I obtained in Ulgoth's Beard, and from poor Ike?
Old 06-26-2002, 06:31 AM   #2
The Ozzman
Zhentarim Guard

therye a rip off but at this point in the game you should have so much money just let the little bastard get away with it.
Old 06-26-2002, 10:52 PM   #3
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

I read in an earlier post that the generic runes don't do anything.

What I have now are three types of runes:

1) The generic runes, purchased in Ulgoth's Beard. One was taken from Ike's lifeless body. I suppose I can safely dump/sell them.

2) Runes which I picked up in Durla's Tower basements, with names. On the screen they have a coloured ring around the edge. Are they important?

3) Exit wardstones for level 1 & 2. Can these be dropped once I have unlocked the exit to the next level?

This is a tough dungeon! Much better than what I have gone thru' in the main game so far. [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]
Hayashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2002, 08:01 PM   #4
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

As far as I know, what you call the "generic" Wardstones (Wardstones you can get off of anyone who can be found in Ulgoth's Beard) don't do anything, or at least not anything that can be easily accomplished by other means. I played one game with them, and one game without them, and noticed no difference.

The other Wardstones are each only used ONCE. I suppose you could play it safe and carry them all in your Inventory--there's only 5 of them that you can keep after all. Me, I just make multiple trips upstairs to stash my loot in containers I know I'll be able to get back to after I leave.
Old 07-01-2002, 09:06 PM   #5
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Hmm, it appears that the only wardstones that are important are the ones you pick up in the Tower itself, namely the exit wardstones and a couple of others.
The "generic" ones do nothing, afaik. Neither do the ones named after Durlag's family.
Anyway, I'm done with Durlag's Tower, now back to Ulgoth's Beard.
Hayashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 06:14 PM   #6
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

The Kiel Wardstone, Islanne Wardstone, etc, ARE useful, but their usefulness ends when you pick them up--taking them out of their respective containers is what opens the doors on -2. (I suppose it's worth keeping them so you can put them BACK into their containers, and remove them again when/if you ever need to re-open those doors.)