Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2002, 10:00 AM   #1
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Every time I build a PC I always have at least one part that gives me a class A+ migraine! My AMD athalon 1.3 GHZ processor keeps going out! The first time, the cache memory was bad. I just get the warrantied replacement installed and less than a week later BAM! I get processor "hiccups"! Basically during any and all processes, even when booting, the processes freeze for a second, then continue, then freeze, then continue, etc. It even happens during the memory check. I booted from a clean floppy and ran a looped batch file with an echo command. Sure enough, it freezes during that too! To top it all off, the game port on the main board is bad! What next? Will I ever get a PC again or simply be cursed to sending parts back and forth in the mail for eternity and paying shipping charges? AAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!! :cry:

Here's a quick question. The first processor I had only ran at atemperature of 107F. This one that just went bad was running at about 150F. Is this too hot? It seems like it should be. I checked the heat sink, transfer compound, and fan. I've got plenty of case fans. The case temp is a cool 80-85F.

[ 05-16-2002, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: Sir Kenyth ]
Old 05-13-2002, 10:09 AM   #2
MagiK

I do not know the actual AMD temp ranges, but I do know that AMD's run hotter than Intel's by a good Margin, I would suggest an Antec SX type case with plenty of fans...it comes with two already and the case has lots of room for circulation. Also you should use a top quality heatsink/fan assy, on the cpu...this is NOT the place to save a few $$$

Oh and just as a comparison, My AMD K6-3 450 runs at around 125f no matter what I do. while my Pentium III 1.0Ghz runs at a cool 97 Both have the Antec case/fans and the same CPU coolers.

[ 05-13-2002, 10:11 AM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 05-13-2002, 10:33 AM   #3
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
I do not know the actual AMD temp ranges, but I do know that AMD's run hotter than Intel's by a good Margin, I would suggest an Antec SX type case with plenty of fans...it comes with two already and the case has lots of room for circulation. Also you should use a top quality heatsink/fan assy, on the cpu...this is NOT the place to save a few $$$

Oh and just as a comparison, My AMD K6-3 450 runs at around 125f no matter what I do. while my Pentium III 1.0Ghz runs at a cool 97 Both have the Antec case/fans and the same CPU coolers.
I've got a huge heat sink and a large fan that runs at 5000+ RPM's. The case is well ventilated with an exhaust fan right by the processor and two others in the case. I'm just getting bad parts and I'm less than thrilled. Thanks for the help though man. My Pc has been down for weeks and I'm frustrated.
Old 05-13-2002, 10:42 AM   #4
MagiK

With that kind of ventilation you should be ok. Sounds like you need to change vendors. One of the reasons I always choose intel over AMD these days is that I just have this thing about heat and electronics, and AMD's seem to always run hotter. It all just seems like innefficient waste.

Old 05-13-2002, 10:43 AM   #5
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:

The Volcano CPU Fans are Awesome!

PS: When you built this AMD rig, did you change the Jumper for the Bus speed? Mine was Either BIOS or Jumper.. I did jumper--to 133Mhz.

You should always do a 72 hour 'burn-in' for the Motherboard and CPU and Ram.. 80% of the time, if there is a problem, you'll hit it with the burn-in..

Old 05-13-2002, 11:06 AM   #6
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

I know what you mean Z, but with work and school taking up 15 hours a day, I get side-tracked. I have to go through one or two frustrating tech talks before I'm going to get new parts shipped. Their answer this time was to check if the CPU fan was upside down and to clean the joystick port connections. I'll diligently check the stuff and call them back. I'll eventually wind up getting new parts I guess. *sigh!* Another two weeks until s#!t is straight! From now on I'm buying Dell! I may need practice on PC assembly, but not this much!
Old 05-13-2002, 11:38 AM   #7
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
quote:

The Volcano CPU Fans are Awesome!

PS: When you built this AMD rig, did you change the Jumper for the Bus speed? Mine was Either BIOS or Jumper.. I did jumper--to 133Mhz.

You should always do a 72 hour 'burn-in' for the Motherboard and CPU and Ram.. 80% of the time, if there is a problem, you'll hit it with the burn-in..
[/QUOTE]Yup! Did the jumper. I guess I do hope that I can fix the CPU problem with something so simple as reseating the heat sink, but I doubt it. I'll get a new sound card and disable the On-board one rather than send the MB back in for a joystick port. But if I have to send the CPU back in anyway, I might as well send the board with it.
Old 05-13-2002, 11:48 AM   #8
Thoran
Galvatron

Athlon processors are not happy running above 60c (140f). If you're having temp problems even with a decent cooler I'd have to first ask what compound are you using. I'd recommend Arctic Silver II (I've used it with very good results)

The 1300 athlon generated a LOT of heat (it was pretty close to the end of the design envelope for for the plain Athlon) so you'll need to keep a close eye on temps to get reliable performance out of it. Before I went liquid cooled I tried to keep air cooled temps below 45c at idle (which typically kept them below 52c at full load).
Old 05-13-2002, 11:56 AM   #9
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Thoran:
Athlon processors are not happy running above 60c (140f). If you're having temp problems even with a decent cooler I'd have to first ask what compound are you using. I'd recommend Arctic Silver II (I've used it with very good results)

The 1300 athlon generated a LOT of heat (it was pretty close to the end of the design envelope for for the plain Athlon) so you'll need to keep a close eye on temps to get reliable performance out of it. Before I went liquid cooled I tried to keep air cooled temps below 45c at idle (which typically kept them below 52c at full load).
I'm using the generic compound that came with the CPU. I also have some from radio shack. Not the best, but we aren't exactly brimming with computer stores here in shanty town Indiana. The one I was in was fairly pathetic.
Old 05-13-2002, 03:00 PM   #10
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Get some Artic Silver!!! It will make a difference. 150 F is WAY too hot. Right now I'm running an overclocked Athlon XP @ 1800 mhz and my average temps are about 40C idle and 48-50C under load. I'm using Artic Silver III and the Cooler Master Heatpipe HSF w/ a 7200 rpm fan.
\"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.\"<br />-General George Patton (1885-1945)<br /> <br />Member of CLAN HADB<br />Founder of The Anti Clan Coalition