Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2001, 05:34 PM   #11
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

against it, but not for some of the above reasons... i see it as bad, since its a much greater punishment to have to spend your enitre life in prison without chance for parole.

------------------
It's simple. Once the Planet is hurt, it gathers Spirit Energy to heal the injury. The amount of energy gathered depends on the size of the injury...What would happen if there was an injury that threatened the very life of the Planet? Think how much energy would be gathered! Ha, ha, ha. And at the center of that injury, wil be me. All that boundless energy will be mine. By merging with the energy of the Planet, I will be come a new life form, a new existence. Melding with the Planet, I will cease to exist as I am now. Only to be reborn as a 'God' to rule over every living soul.

Super Sephiroth, slayer of the Uber Fluffy, and battle co-ordionator and defender of the HADB clan.

Diplomacy is all and well, but HADB is better!
Old 09-07-2001, 05:40 PM   #12
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

I AM 100% Against The Death Penalty, I Think Its Sick And Cruel, Being Locked Up In A Cell Knowing That Tomorrow, They're Going To Kill You

------------------

I Am... The Bad Dude
Old 09-07-2001, 05:40 PM   #13
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

I think one of the primary benefits of the death penalty is as a deterrant to those who kill. It is a warning that tells them: "if you kill, you will be killed". It can make a lot of people seriously think. The problem is when it is administered like it is in America today. It happens YEARS after the crime was committed if it happens at all. There is no threat of immediate consequence. As it is today, I think it's completely useless and ineffective. In theory I'm not completely against it, but I am completely against how it is administered now.

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)

Member of CLAN HADB

[This message has been edited by MILAMBER (edited 09-07-2001).]
Old 09-07-2001, 05:51 PM   #14
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuor:

1. murder (except when proved to be in self defence)
2. any rape
3. terrorism

Murder is not murder if the killing is done in self-defence.

Does rape, while appalling and evil, really deserve to attract a response of state sanctioned judicial murder?

Terrorism - hmmm difficult one. Always remember "One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter"

For myself, I understand the emotional attraction of the death penalty. However I cannot support it for two main reasons

a) There is no right of appeal and the courts and juries will get verdicts wrong. Especially where the evidence is fabricated/tampered with, there is a conspiracy to convict or the defence is simply incompetent.

b) The death sentence denies the possibility that the criminal may change and be reformed and possibly even make genuine restitution in the future.

It may be a radical approach, but I would confine the state sanctioned ending of life to those, who having sufficient mental capacity, repeatedly make a rational request to have their lives ended. This could be applied to those in long term/life imprisonment.

------------------
Regards

Mouse

[This message has been edited by Mouse (edited 09-07-2001).]
Old 09-07-2001, 06:04 PM   #15
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

No, I Just Think It Should Be Life Imprisonment

------------------

I Am... The Bad Dude
Old 09-07-2001, 06:07 PM   #16
Rikard

Problem with capital punishment is that it's non-reversible

------------------
I Am The SunGod
Here To Enlighten You

Old 09-07-2001, 06:10 PM   #17
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Amen To That

------------------

I Am... The Bad Dude
Old 09-07-2001, 06:32 PM   #18
Blade
Emerald Dragon

Personally I'm against it. IMHO it just makes us sink to there level. Also life in prizon without parole in my opinon is much worse of a punishment.

------------------

Many blade cut weather they are mettle or wood, but the sharpest and deadlyist blade it the one of knowledge.
Old 09-07-2001, 06:32 PM   #19
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

We have had this discussion before. This time it seems to be much more civil.
That's great in my opinion.

I am for the death penalty.
If life in prison really meant life in prison, I might be swayed in that direction. But, it doesn't. The point is there are some just plain evil S.O.B's out there and they need to be removed from society permanently. Many are people who see the only evil in the world as not getting what they want when they want it.

I would also like to see the States adopt lethal injection over other forms
of execution. I know it means that they receive a much easier death in most cases that what they dealt out. But, we don't need to make them suffer more
they already would.

Re-Habilitation has been shown not to work. People do not change unless they want to. That is a fact. Numerous attempts have been made in that vein already and most failed miserably. There are a few shinning examples, but as I said those are folks who wanted to change. Many in prison think the only thing they did wrong was getting caught.

There is one thing that really bothers me right now though. There is a Forensic
Examiner in Kansas (I think) who, it has now been proven, manufactured evidence.
In one case so far the defendant was put to death. It also turns out there was alot more evidence that supported the Death Penalty and Guilt. So the defendant wasn't an innocent. But.......what about the thousands of other cases this woman
worked on? What should be her punishment?

------------------

The line between good and evil is razor sharp. Be careful of misteps,
lest you find yourself spitted upon your own blade.
Old 09-07-2001, 06:47 PM   #20
Istaron
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Wulfere:
Re-Habilitation has been shown not to work. People do not change unless they want to. That is a fact. Numerous attempts have been made in that vein already and most failed miserably. There are a few shinning examples, but as I said those are folks who wanted to change. Many in prison think the only thing they did wrong was getting caught.

In the phsycos cases, it doesn't work. I have read about a certain Ginger Fish who ate his victims (mainly little girls). Well, such man should REALLY be put to death, he is pure evil, twisted and sick.

But say a 20 year old man runs into a store with a gun and says he wants monye. He is high/drunk and nervoes, so accidently, a bullet goes off and kills someone... should he really be executed for that? Life time prisson and given the opportunity to help other people from his stage of socity would help the nation and himself much more that waist electricity on him.

And I believe that fear of being executed scare people off is just bullshit. A sane person would never kill anyone on purpose, and mad men have no abbility to se consequenses like we do.

By the way, what do you think about the wepon-policy that some states in the US has? That you are acctually allow to carry wepons...

------------------
We call him Bobby Corwen