Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2002, 11:49 PM   #1
Reonin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Does anybody else have the deja vu feeling from D2 when playing the single player game? With the different placeable loot doodads all over the place? Poor begger, maybe I should give me a gold... look at the two barrels behind him, one has magic leather armor +1 and the other has 12 gold in it. Magic items (especially healing potions) are so common and easy to get a hold of, it makes them meaningless. Geez, another suit of +2 Full plate? I guess i'll throw it in one of my (storebought) bags of holding and sell it to the vendor when I teleport back to town. Magic scrolls up the yin-yang! I will eventually design my own module once i've finished the single player, and I intend to return to the lower fantasy aspect. After all, i'm 13th level, have insane and crazy items (i've looked through the items in the toolset, i've got pretty much the best stuff with a few exceptions) and more gold than I know what to do with. Being a LG paladin, the plot is the only thing that drives me on. The example game is high-fantasy.. MAJOR high fantasy, diablo style. Only in diablo, there were more levels and more items. The rate of advancement is out of control, and the game is rediculously easy.
Reonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 05:20 AM   #2
theifprowess
Drizzt Do'Urden

yes in diablo yo got the items randomly from the creatures you killed. next thing you now oif they did this game like that some players will have the gall to try and sell rare armors and weapons. just cause they can pregenerate it and others cant. i mean have you seen the price that people actually sell items for online? that was not only stupid but i need to throw in ridiculous. NWN doesnt jsut throw out all the best stuff early in the game. in fact any and all boss treasure is lvl dependant.and there are those who dont bother collecting every item and searching every barrel so they dont have the whole inventory in which to sell stuff to buy the nice armors that the stores offer.

they dont just sell the random high end armor in the stores either in fact alot of the items are hard to get like in diablo. i still have yet to get a fire giant belt for myself without having to trade for it online.

and lvling up you would be surprised to know that if by doing all the quests that are available to you you still wont max out till towards the end of chap 4(which is the end of the game). the reason that works like that is they actually rate the creature to your char now. in BG2 a umber hulk gave you 20000 xp regardless of how strong or weak they were against you . in nwn if your a lot higher lvl and your stats are much higher than an umberhulf than you will get less points for it. therefore by the time you should take on your first dragon you should be strong enough to take out the dragon with minimal ease. thats why the dragon is only worth 350 xp when you kill it and not no 55,000. so now it takes 20000 xp to lvl and your a strong character getting anywhere from 5-50 xp points for killing really hard stuff.

youll get up to the higher lvls noticing it takes alot more stuff to kill than it did before.and potions are just a form of currency for me to sell.
theifprowess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 08:51 AM   #3
AndyG
Elminster

Reonin, I agree that this is a monty haul campaign all the way. My monk has over 400K gp, in chapter 3. He'll probably bust a million before I'm finished. It seems like I have all the best gear, I don't know what to look forward to in that regard. And yes, the levelling does slow down as you get higher up, but quests still deliver solid xp, regardless of your level.
AndyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 09:01 AM   #4
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

hmmm..when I finished this game I have 1.3 million gold with me. I also got some more stuff at the final dungeon but I wasn't allowed to teleport out and sell them. so which mean I can get even more gold.

too bad the item that i really want is adamantite and diamonds but this two are very very rare. I only found two adamantite in the whole game and there are in chapter 1. and only 1 diamond in chapter 2.

I think level 20 is too low, I was already level 20 at 3/4 of chapter 3. I could go even higher levels!
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 04:01 PM   #5
flibulzbuth
Drow Warrior

I agree with Reonin, this problem is not about really about gameplay, but about storytelling. Imagine a PnP game where every container in the city (even in the prison) is full of gold and magic items... ridiculous. IMHO, 99% of the containers should be full of crap and normal stuff like linen, clothing etc... Why does the evil mage scatter his gold all over in his tower? Shouldn't he be keeping it all in a hidden vault?

The worst thing is that you CAN'T ignore the containers laying around. I was about to give it up in the beggar's nest when i found an elven cloak in a barrel, and 2 wands 15 minutes later in two boxes... So now i hover my mouse over every single box. I feel more like a janitor/packrat instead of the thief/cleric i should be.
Old 07-11-2002, 11:53 AM   #6
Arnabas
Baaz Draconian

I thought it was pretty crazy to have all kinds of gems and gold sitting in barrels on the street. Go figure.
I also prefer campaigns with magical items being less common. With my group it was always "Hey! I got a sword +1" Everyone gathers and stares in amazement....
Old 07-11-2002, 01:39 PM   #7
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

I agree, less magic(items) = more fun, as it makes them alot more special when you get new stuff, rather than just a minor upgrade in power
Old 07-11-2002, 01:41 PM   #8
MagiK

Why waste time slowly hovering your mouse over every object? Just use the [Tab] key, it immediately highlightes every object that can be operated or searched.

Old 07-11-2002, 02:04 PM   #9
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

I found a sword from 'candlekeep', that allows me to do cold damage, suddenly, lockpicking goes out the window... bah! useless spending points on lockpicking. *sigh* right now the only thing driving me to complete the campain is anger, I want to carve my way though the elk tribe, and cut up as many enemies as possible. then I want to find Aribeth, knock her one over the head for being difficult, throw her in a barrle somewhere, and RAZE Neverwinter for treating me like a dog. "Go find this, then bring it back!" again and again and again. *mutters darkly*
Calaethis Dragonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 01:21 AM   #10
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

hhmmm, one of the nice things about fallout series is that you rarely get nice items except looting houses. not barrels found outside the city .. sigh...

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote