Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2002, 11:17 PM   #21
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

If China attacks Taiwan we are bound by treaty to help them. I hope they dont, it wont be pretty.

And I also know who Lt.Col Hackworth is. I have About Face .
Old 11-26-2002, 01:58 AM   #22
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:
China had ample time to go after Taiwan while we Americans were "distracted" by the Warsaw Pact and allies during the Cold war. IMO This hardline stance by China concerning Taiwan is all talk, something they have done for a long time. They would appear weak and lose face if they took anything but a hard stance towards Taiwan.

If anything I would say that article is slanted in the direction that would make me want to fear war with China, but to me that's all it is, a slant.
True, you do have to watch the info you're spoon-fed by others. Alot of it can simply be subtle manipulation on the part of one's government and 'media'. But that's the price you pay for trusting a group of people to specialize in ruling you [img]smile.gif[/img]
Having said that the flipside is to not pay enough attention to the world around you, and then curse yourself for not taking action where action was warrented.

In terms of the kind of opportunist brinkmanship depicted in the article, I personally want no part in it. If legislation and (un)official alliances are exploited in this case there could arise a situation similar to the buildup of the first world war: where a domino theory of international intervention takes place. China attacks Taiwan, America attacks China, North Korea attacks America, Britain attacks North Korea etc etc. Messy messy messy business, and possibly life threatening for alot of us. But to be honest there is so much talk of war and intolerance in the global nation environment that all one can do is say to hell with them all. I hold no allegiance to any of the power-drunk fools at the forefront of todays international arena. The few will benefit from the pain of the many.

[ 11-26-2002, 02:00 AM: Message edited by: The Hierophant ]
Old 11-26-2002, 04:00 AM   #23
Eisenschwarz

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
I can understand that sentiment Charean, no one ever said people were consistant

@ Eisen. Oh, Hi Dramnek.
Hello Magick!

Old 11-26-2002, 08:15 AM   #24
MagiK

Quote:
China had ample time to go after Taiwan while we Americans were "distracted" by the Warsaw Pact and allies during the Cold war. IMO This hardline stance by China concerning Taiwan is all talk, something they have done for a long time. They would appear weak and lose face if they took anything but a hard stance towards Taiwan.

If anything I would say that article is slanted in the direction that would make me want to fear war with China, but to me that's all it is, a slant.
During the cold war, China couldn't have invaded my grandmothers kitchen let alone Taiwan. The pacific fleet was far more ready for action then than it is now. Yes they have to worry about face, but the data is starting to show a disturbing trend in China's international policy. They are pushing, the question is....how do we push back?

Old 11-26-2002, 08:35 AM   #25
Angelousss
Red Wizard of Thay

china still can't invade your mothers kitchen.
As far a taiwan and the pacific fleet. Park a supercarrier just off taiwan and see if china attempts an invasion(more or less the combined navies of the rest of the world couldn't defeat the american fleet, as far as i know only one other country even has carriers, maybe 2)
Old 11-26-2002, 09:42 AM   #26
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Angelousss:
china still can't invade your mothers kitchen.
As far a taiwan and the pacific fleet. Park a supercarrier just off taiwan and see if china attempts an invasion(more or less the combined navies of the rest of the world couldn't defeat the american fleet, as far as i know only one other country even has carriers, maybe 2)
Problem is, China doesnt have a Navy to speak of, but they do have a LOT of bombers with the ability to carry and fire long range soviet anti-ship missiles and they also have a shite load of shore based missiles around the taiwan area. Our super carrier would be under a constant hail of missiles.

Old 11-26-2002, 12:38 PM   #27
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
quote:

During the cold war, China couldn't have invaded my grandmothers kitchen let alone Taiwan. The pacific fleet was far more ready for action then than it is now. Yes they have to worry about face, but the data is starting to show a disturbing trend in China's international policy. They are pushing, the question is....how do we push back? [/QUOTE]China did attempt to invade another sovenign nation during the cold war. They attempted to invade Vietnam; a communist brother state. The Vietnamese Army repulsed the invasion and actually ended up occuping Chinese terriotory. I imagine that the Tiawinese could possibly do the same thing. They have a very modern military and the whole island is a virtual fortress. It would be a very tough nut to crack short of using nuclear weapons.
Old 11-26-2002, 12:52 PM   #28
MagiK

there is no doubt that Taiwan is a very tough nut for them.

Old 11-26-2002, 01:15 PM   #29
khazadman
User suspended until [Feb13]

I have always been of the opinion that China is behind much of the troubles the west faces. Where did the governments of Iraq and Afganistan get weapons and equipment? Alot of it came from China. Iraq has a new communications system for their military. Where do you think it came from? Why China of course. China can be found behind alot things.

But China is in for a nasty time with Taiwan. The easiest way to get soldiers their would be to fly them in. And that is a very difficult proposition at best. China may have the largest air force in the world, but they will be up against an enemy who is fighting at home on what is probably the most heavily defended islands in the world. To be able to carry it off they would need something to offset the Taiwanese advantages. Which is to say chemical or nuke weapons.

And thanks to the clinton administration, China can now target the US with it's missiles.
Old 11-26-2002, 01:26 PM   #30
Eisenschwarz

Quote:
Originally posted by khazadman:
I have always been of the opinion that China is behind much of the troubles the west faces. Where did the governments of Iraq and Afganistan get weapons and equipment? Alot of it came from China. Iraq has a new communications system for their military. Where do you think it came from? Why China of course. China can be found behind alot things.
Actually America & Britain supplied Saddam with most of his weapons, For example at the time of the Iran-Iraq war we gave him the stuff needed to develop chemical and biological weapons.

Basically, Most of the problems in the modern world are down to America & the Soviet union & china & some European countries (France, Britian) using their power to their own advantage.

For example The Americans armed Osama bin laden & the mujhedin, they then turned on them.

There are many things which are, But not getting involved in that sort of thing (thus preventing even more problems) seems the very least one could hope for.

Quote:
Originally posted by khazadman:
But China is in for a nasty time with Taiwan. The easiest way to get soldiers their would be to fly them in. And that is a very difficult proposition at best. China may have the largest air force in the world, but they will be up against an enemy who is fighting at home on what is probably the most heavily defended islands in the world. To be able to carry it off they would need something to offset the Taiwanese advantages. Which is to say chemical or nuke weapons.

And thanks to the clinton administration, China can now target the US with it's missiles.
ACutally Thats thanks to Bush & his star wars program, Since if the US is in theory procteted by the sheild, In order to conform with the principles of MAD, the chinese will aim more missiles at them, in the hope's of some getting through.