Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2001, 02:22 PM   #1
SpeedMachine

Being on Chapter 7 and it having taken every spare momemnt of the past 4 months of my life, I 'm starting to wonder what to do in a couple of weeks time when I finish it. And then at lunchtime today, I saw for sale a bundled pack of BG I & TOSC, and next to it IWD. As BG II was SOOOO much fun, I had to buy these three.

Q1: Will they be fun after BG II? Or are they boring in comparison? Have I wasted my money by doing BG II first?
Q2: Which one should I do first? BG I or IWD?
Q3: I see HoW is now out. How should that fit in my priorities?
Q4: Or should I have a life for a few months and wait for NWN?
Q5: How big are each of these? If BG II has size 100, what are they? 50? 200? 10?

What a set of choices?

Help!!

Old 02-24-2001, 02:35 PM   #2
BLACK KNIGHT

1) BGI will be just as fun roleplaying wise and adventure wise as BGII. Are you going to be as powerful? NO. Are you going to have to kill tons of small creatures and get your butt kicked a couple of times and reload? YES. Is the Gameing aspect going to be as high powered NO. You won't be as high level, but the game will still be what you put into it. If you are going for the roleplaying of a starting first level pc, it is fun to watch them grow quickly or be killed.

2) Me personally, I would do BGI first. It depends. Are you bored with this story and are looking for something similar but a new storyline? (and yes, I always answer a question with a question) Both are good. In BGI, you start off with you. IN IWD, you start with 6 first level pcs. Different games, both fun and worthwhile.

3) I haven't played HOW yet, so I obstain. Is it out in the states? Anyone?

4) LIFE? This is my life.

5) I think BGI is about the same size, more time devoited to outdoors adventuring and fetch and carry. IWD is more linear and quicker to beat IMHO.

Play em all. I have a life outside of this forum and this game. Sometimes I post alot, sometimes I play alot, sometimes I get crazy and play some REAL DnD paper and pencils ect. Sometimes I get REALLY CRAZY and visit my family and girlfriend, change clothes, shower up, etc. jk. Just have fun with them, and keep posting here.

BK

Old 02-24-2001, 02:38 PM   #3
Melusine
Dracolisk

What a lot of questions!
Well first of all BG II is still fun after the **th time you play it
BG I is a great game but i wouldn't know for sure if it's still fun after BG II
I think it is, give it a try, it might take some getting used to but then it will be great to feel the exhilaration after killing a kobold!
BG I is smaller than the sequel but it has way more NPCs you can have in your party and also a lot of areas
TotSC is a good expansion: Durlag's Tower is great!
All in all I think you will still enjoy the game very much, as your character is low level and so the game will still be very challenging...
I think back with nostalgia to the time I started playing BGI as a wee little necromancer with 4 hitpoints!
I wouldn't know about HOW or IWD I haven't played them
Old 02-24-2001, 03:28 PM   #4
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I agree with the other to play BG1. I would get ToSC, too and go ahead and install it when you do BG1. ToSC will let you do some really cool and hard (for BG1 areas, like Melusine said Durlag's tower) and you get to level more with the ToSC expansion.

IWD I finished last month. I played at work in my free time. Similar, but diferent from BG. I liked it, in fact, got HoW yesterday. Alot of the diferences I liked about IWD I found were incorporated into BGII. And contrary to what some people may say IMHO the final battle in IWD will Belhefit (sp?) would stand up to anything I fought in BGI. Can't say about BGII because I haven't finished.