Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2004, 11:38 AM   #1
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
Whilst trying to get my Druid to level 14 to complete the Trademeet/Druid quests, I've been stumbling about the Bridge District trying to complete the reconstruction of kangaxx. I have the arms and legs, and so still have the torso to find. I know its in this district somewhere from my previous game... so I'll keep searching....

Anyhow, whilst I was wandering around, I found an encounter with a bunch of warriors/mages which features the fairly rare ocurrence of there being no dialogue whatsoever, in that they are immediately hostile as soon you walk into their little stable like lair. Since I had no quests whatsoever seemingly regarding them, I found it slightly tedious that I had to quickly slap the space bar and then proceed to destroy them without really knowing why. (Other than the obvious quick easy xp of course!) Its in a small buiding in the North sector of the Bridge district.

What irritated me further, is the fact that the mage in the group has a name which is ripped straight out of Forgotten Realms AD&D gaming history, from a very legendary figure indeed. And yet the encounter is such a dull, seemingly insignificant one! Dracandros is his name. Grr! How dare they besmirch this great character!
Any who realise or remember the significance of his name, well - you'll have gained my respect. I think Valeria was another in the group, I can't recall any of the others...

So if I've missed the actual trigger that this encounter has to make it actually meaningful, could someone tell me? Cheers in advance.
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 11:45 AM   #2
Dar'tanian
Red Wizard of Thay

Do you mean the little encounters in Athkatal when your trying to pass to another district and you get waylaid in a small area buy a group of hostile humans...?? Cause if thats what your talking about then I dont rember a Dracandros....It could be qeust related or I just dont rember encountering them...
Old 01-11-2004, 11:52 AM   #3
Brainless One
Zhentarim Guard

I know what he is talking about. On the way to fight the fallen paladins in the bridge district is a small building that contains a mage named Dracandros, and some other warriors. I believe they are hostile because they are part of the fallen paladins, and you trespassed into their home. Im not sure if it is possible to join the paladins and they will be neutral, someone else may know.
-Brainless One
Brainless One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 12:06 PM   #4
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
I'm not sure if they are a part of the Fallen Paladins group, as I've already had that encounter (via the Temple related quest) and killed the main group.

I guess it is possible that they are related, but I doubt it really because of the general fact that the fallen paladins have all been fighters and have no clerics, thieves or other classes in their midst.

Spoilerish:

I found it possible to join Anarg and his Fallen Paladin pals but didn't manage to convince them that I was genuine.(which I wasn't)
I wonder if it makes a difference to Anarg if instead, I murdered everything in my sight for his cup as opposed to just asking for it in the quest...hmmmm.

But back on topic - Dracandros was a grand mage of some repute, I doubt very much he'd get messed up with some ragged bunch of fallen do gooders.

[ 01-11-2004, 12:08 PM: Message edited by: CerebroDragon ]
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
Old 01-11-2004, 01:37 PM   #5
Rataxes
Symbol of Cyric

Part of an unfinished quest I would presume. There's a mod which supposedly attempts to flesh out this encounter a bit, but otherwise they're just a nice source of experience.

[ 01-11-2004, 01:40 PM: Message edited by: Rataxes ]
Old 01-11-2004, 03:28 PM   #6
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
You can't get the Cup by killing, it's not on anyone's body. You can only get it by asking for it. However...
SPOILER...
Tell Anarg, when he asks you if you want to join, that you changed your mind. What's-His-Face, the honorable guy, will be horrified at how he reacts to this and will leave, so you don't have to kill such an honorable man... for such little loot besides.

Edit- Correction. Ryan Trawl is the paladin who gives you the quest. I changed the name to "What's-His-Face" because for all I know that IS his name... though it might begin with "A" and have a "de" or the like in the middle.

[ 01-12-2004, 02:26 AM: Message edited by: Illumina Drathiran'ar ]

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 09:10 PM   #7
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Illumina Drathiran'ar, that will only work if...
~
~
~
~
... they do not see Anomen or Keldorn in your party. If they see either of them, all will turn hostile.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 11:36 PM   #8
Olorin

Breakout Champion Hexxagon Champion
SPOILER...
The little encounter with Dracandros can actually be scary. I stumbled on to them my first game while still low level; and then ran like hell from the gated demon that he brought in (which chased me out into the streets). It might have helped if I had either some decent magical weapons or a magic license.

Nowadays, I just barge in and take them down no problem--but of course now I know all the tricks to make sure enemy mages don't get a chance to cast their spells.
"Many are my names in many countries. Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkun to the Dwarves; Olorin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incanus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not"

--The Two Towers
Olorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 07:32 AM   #9
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

Yes, it can be a tricky encounter. I had to reload the one time to make Korgan drink an oil of speed to ensure he and Minsc got to Dracandros fast enough. He'd gotten in far too many nasty spells the first time around and my party was rightly punished. [img]smile.gif[/img]
No-one has confirmed yet whether or not there is any dialogue at all with him and his cronies so I'm assuming then that regardless, this party is always hostile upon entry and are just xp fodder for the well prepared party.

Which is a shame, since Dracandros (I'll expand on his history now, since no-one has spoken up!) is the name taken from the powerful red robed mage in the AD&D goldbox Vol II game Curse of the Azure Bonds. His plotline within that game was one of my favourites, not to mention his dialogue, a meeting with 20 odd Black Dragons and the epic battle with him at the end within his tower in the township of Hap.
Obviously its not him, but a little in-game reference - but how I despise it for using his name in vain! I'm sure Dracandros would agree too. Grr!
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
Old 01-15-2004, 08:41 AM   #10
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

You can always do him justice by making a mod out of it. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote