Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2003, 10:56 PM   #31
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Iron_Ranger:
I havent read through this whole thread, so this may have already been stated but..

I think coldness exist. There is a source of coldness. What about blizzards, chill winds and such.

The other two are pretty complex. Darkness is just lack of light, there is no source for it..And I have never really pondered the space one.
A blizzard and chill wind don't create cold, they are cold because they have no heat.

The default setting for the universe is cold, not hot or luke warm. If nothing existed, all would be dark, cold and space (nothing). No heat, no light, no matter.

In our universe suns create heat. Movement, friction, life itself creates heat.

On the matter of space, space is nothing. On earth, what we call space actually contains air, but the word space is in this case defined by a relative lack as has been stated.

However, on the matter of space being infinite....

How can space be infinite?

So the universe is expanding (which implies a limit or end, for only that with boundaries can expand their boundary otherwise it would already be where it's expanding into) fair enough, and it has said that it's expanding into infinite space.

But space is finite. It stops where something is. Finite. WIth limit.

There is no space where there is a sun. Or a rock, or wind, or a tree, or an asteroid.

So space is not infinite, because it has finite boundaries of substance.

So we have a finite universe expanding into finite space, though it could expand infinitely.... or will until it contracts.

[ 01-05-2003, 10:57 PM: Message edited by: Yorick ]

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 01-06-2003, 12:16 AM   #32
homer
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:

So we have a finite universe expanding into finite space, though it could expand infinitely.... or will until it contracts.
If this is the case than what do you call the space that used to be occupied by a larger universe? Is that space now nothing? or dose it exist?
Old 01-06-2003, 04:29 AM   #33
Davros
Takhisis Follower

On that basis - does heat exist as well? If we take the accepted thesis that heat is derived from the "existance and release" of energy, and that cold things lack energy or the ability to release it - can we truly state that heat exists? When it boils down to it, things are just in a continual state of energy exchange, and hot and cold are just descriptors for the level of energy transferred or emitted.
Old 01-06-2003, 08:51 AM   #34
Donut
Jack Burton

Of course I could say that I know that cold exists because of the effect it's having on me at this very moment. (But I won't)

As for space, the expanding universe, infinity and what was there before it was created - I spent years thinking about this as a child. What I learned was that it gives me a headache so I don't do it any more.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 01-06-2003, 08:53 AM   #35
Donut
Jack Burton

Does defeat exist or is it just the absence of victory?
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 01-06-2003, 09:03 AM   #36
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Depends if defeat entails reversion to a pre-conflict prior state, or a loss and reduction worse than the situation before conflict.

Doesn't it?

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 01-06-2003, 09:04 AM   #37
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
Do trophies exist - we seem to have no absence of them in our cupboard - and the Ashes look as if they are coming over next time
Old 01-06-2003, 09:11 AM   #38
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Davros:
quote:
Do trophies exist - we seem to have no absence of them in our cupboard - and the Ashes look as if they are coming over next time [/QUOTE]I refer the Right Honourable Gentleman to the 4th line in my sig!
Old 01-06-2003, 09:21 AM   #39
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Davros:
quote:
Do trophies exist - we seem to have no absence of them in our cupboard - and the Ashes look as if they are coming over next time [/QUOTE]I refer the Right Honourable Gentleman to the 4th line in my sig![/QUOTE]Uhhh - yeah - what he said
Old 01-06-2003, 09:21 AM   #40
homer
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Depends if defeat entails reversion to a pre-conflict prior state, or a loss and reduction worse than the situation before conflict.

Doesn't it?
I don’t know if that’s absolutely true. The Japanese were on the loosing side of WWII. They were defeated. Today they are certainly in a better situation than they were prior to the conflict.