Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2002, 07:38 AM   #41
Melusine
Dracolisk

I agree, Hierophant. I don't see how wanting to slowly torture people to death makes you any better than other torturers. There's a big difference between revenge and justice.
I also agree with LS that not everybody is so bloodthirsty as to want to be given the "privilege" of deciding on the punishment of their rapist. In fact I think most actual victims would NOT want this. (Edit: note that I'm not saying they wouldn't want to see the bastard punished, just that they wouldn't want to decide on the punishment for themselves. And I am convinced most women who have been raped or assaulted would choose less inhuman punishments for the offenders than I've seen listed here - they want justice not vengeance)

[ 09-21-2002, 07:40 AM: Message edited by: Melusine ]
Old 09-21-2002, 07:43 AM   #42
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

I am not the kinda person want to torture another, if you see my post, you can tell that I agree with a swift death. but whats up? we cannot talk abt it? it is considered cruel? evil? how abt these people being fascinated by occult? have they or we actually do it? mutilated? watch your mouth, The Hierophant, damnit. does it make YOU better?
Old 09-21-2002, 07:44 AM   #43
skywalker
Banned User

I don't agree with any kind of torture either, it makes you no better than the criminal.

If necessary, a quick death with as little media coverage as possible is all that is needed.

Mark
Old 09-21-2002, 07:45 AM   #44
Lord Shield

Quote:
Originally posted by 250:
I am not the kinda person want to torture another, if you see my post, you can tell that I agree with a swift death. but whats up? we cannot talk abt it? it is considered cruel? evil? how abt these people being fascinated by occult? have they or we actually do it? mutilated? watch your mouth, The Hierophant, damnit. does it make YOU better?
I read Hierophant's post and he did not specifically target you. If you read ALL the posts, you will find ones that ARE coveredd by his comment

Old 09-21-2002, 07:51 AM   #45
Sigmar
Unicorn

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hierophant:
Wow. It's amazing to see how many on-the-surface kind and gentle people here on these boards are so fascinated with torture, mutilation and murder. Kinda makes me wonder if there's a little bit of robert beuhl in all of us. It also kinda throws ideals of mercy and forgiveness out the window. There's alot for us to think about in our so-called 'developed', 'civilized' nations. What wisdom could there possibly be in becoming what we despise?
HUMAN NATURE-There is a small voice in EVERYONE's mind that is fuelled by violence and retribution, but it's not as exaggerated as you make it seem. I haven't seen an example of this in this thread btw, any serious remarks at any rate.They aren't fascinated by torture as you put it, they are merely stating that they would like them to die, they're not discussing their personal form of torture [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Why do we become what we despise? Do we repeat their acts? Obviously not, than that statement is obviously incorrect. What occurs is that our thoughts are driven by rage and rightfully so, I would personally like child rapers and killers die a slow and painful death, we demand that justice is served and that a message is put forth to others who might be contemplating similar crimes against humanity.

People like this don't deserve mercy and forgiveness, nor do I believe that they could contribute to developed and civilised nations, for if you destroy/kill the future what use is the present and past?

They deserve what they got and I believe people here are responding in the natural and correct manner.

[ 09-21-2002, 07:54 AM: Message edited by: Sigmar ]
Old 09-21-2002, 07:53 AM   #46
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Lord Shield: Yes, the word 'all' was a pretty sweeping term. I meant it more in a metaphorical sense than literal [img]smile.gif[/img] I know (well, at least I THINK I know. From the posts I've seen here I obviously know very little about alot of people on IW) you're on the whole a patient and non-aggressive person.

Mel: I agree on the 'justice, not vengeance' notion. Murder has its' place on, and only on, the battlefield (yes that sounds wierd but it's what I believe). What is the difference between a demented criminal who immobilizes, rapes and kills his helpless victims and a state which does the exact same thing but through a 'lawful' process. The lawful process itself? It's still holding down and murdering a helpless and defenseless person. The pleasure or satisfaction gained by the executioners only serves to reinforce the presence of peacetime murder within the communal psyche.
Life imprisonment serves well, if it is indeed LIFE imprisonment (and utterly solitary confinement need not be an expensive drain on the tax payer's pocket).
Old 09-21-2002, 07:57 AM   #47
Lord Shield

The main thing to remember, as well, is that doing such a thing will NOT heal or resurrect the victim anyway

as for reacting "naturally", Sigmar, so do cats and dogs. The difference with us humans is we are capable of acting more consciously, and i believe it is our responsiblity to do so [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-21-2002, 07:58 AM   #48
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hierophant:

Life imprisonment serves well, if it is indeed LIFE imprisonment (and utterly solitary confinement need not be an expensive drain on the tax payer's pocket).
That's is SO true, I agree completely.
It always surprises me when I argue about capital punishment with someone and they start accusing me of wanting to cuddle and pamper criminals
On the contrary... I think actual life imprisonment with no possibility of parole is a WORSE punishment than death. And I just don't think killing someone is ever right. It may be necessary sometimes, I can't judge about that, but it's never a good thing.
Old 09-21-2002, 08:06 AM   #49
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

if you do not kill these ppl, they will victimize your children someday. remember the criminal HAD ABSOLUTE CONTROL for this kinda crime, so he pays for his action, period.
Old 09-21-2002, 08:09 AM   #50
Sigmar
Unicorn

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Shield:

as for reacting "naturally", Sigmar, so do cats and dogs. The difference with us humans is we are capable of acting more consciously, and i believe it is our responsiblity to do so [img]smile.gif[/img]
Why?

Usually I would agree that acting more responsible and ignoring our natural instincts is a good thing and goes hand in hand with the advance of the human race.

These people don't deserve redemption unless they were truly in the wrong state of mind. We are acting consciously when we are deciding the fate of a child raper and killer, it's not as if humanity is torturing these people and then killing them as others have suggested, we are killing them in a manner which they don't, I believe deserve.

It's easy to say such things Shield but can you imagine how hard it is for someone who has had a family member who has been involved in such actions to think in a calm and humane manner? Perhaps you can I don't know, and perhaps it is still possible but it's a whole differant ball game IMO for those unfortunate people. I can't balme them for feeling the way they do, even if it is clouded by hate and rage.