Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2002, 08:22 PM   #1
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

LOL, NO this is not a joke thread! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

The secretary I've worked with for the past 13 years is retiring at the end of next week, she is about 77 years old or so. I suggested today to my boss that we take her out to a nice lunch, and then he suggested to me that I think of a proper "farewell" gift for her that she can remember us by. doh! I haven't a clue LOL. Gold Watch comes to mind but I never see her wearing a watch. I truly have no idea what we can all get her. It is too late I'm thinking for anything engraved (as I don't know where to do this sort of thing, nor do I probably have time to have it done before she goes).

So please any suggestions yall may think of would be greatly appreciated! Help LOL!

Reality Show Recaps
Old 11-21-2002, 08:35 PM   #2
adam warlock
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

few things;
gift certificate to her favorite shopping place.
if she likes to wear jewelry, give her an engraved necklace
an award certificate.
and a farewell card signed by everyone at the workplace.

make it memorable
Old 11-21-2002, 08:36 PM   #3
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

Try maybe getting her something personal, from you guys, as a remembrance token (a custom bouquet or something) and then a big box of chocolates, or flowers.
Old 11-21-2002, 08:45 PM   #4
Ladyzekke

Thing is, my boss said "something to remember us by", so anything temporary like candy or flowers or a gift certificate is out unfortunately. And she's not a jewelry wearer either. Has to be something she can Keep and Have, etc. So that is why I made this thread, because it is such a tough gift to think of! C'mon somebody has to have some ideas?, what did yall get your grandma for Xmas or her birthday recently that wasn't temporary? Any ideas!

Reality Show Recaps
Old 11-21-2002, 08:54 PM   #5
Gabriel
Emerald Dragon

A tombstone?...na poor taste.
A photo album that has pictures of her time at the company, her friends and comments from them. (might take to long)
A very large sum of money great gif of a retiree so she can go on holiday, visit family etc...
A sliver or other precious metal picture frame, with a picture of all her friends at the company.
Old 11-21-2002, 08:56 PM   #6
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

Is there anything you guys share in common, such as, say, a love for a type of book? If so, you could get something like that, a special book, and have it signed by all of you.

Just a thought.
Old 11-21-2002, 09:12 PM   #7
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Gather all your colleagues and buy something with an inscription, like a watch.
Old 11-21-2002, 09:20 PM   #8
adam warlock
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

lifetime perscription pain-killers would be a gift from heaven if I'm 77
Old 11-21-2002, 09:28 PM   #9
Ladyzekke

Quote:
Originally posted by Gabriel:
A tombstone?...na poor taste.
A photo album that has pictures of her time at the company, her friends and comments from them. (might take to long)
A very large sum of money great gif of a retiree so she can go on holiday, visit family etc...
A sliver or other precious metal picture frame, with a picture of all her friends at the company.
Well the picture frame with our pics might not be a bad idea, although we'd have to take a picture of us first. That would look a bit odd though. Only other people in my office that works with her is me, my boss (80 years old) and another attorney (mid 40's). Something to ponder though thanks Gabriel. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Oh, and the money idea won't work cause she has plenty of that from her X Husband's alimony payments that he still makes (he's in the military too so she gets all those medical benefits as well), and she owns two houses in two different states. Financially she is doing better than most LOL.

Reality Show Recaps
Old 11-21-2002, 09:45 PM   #10
antryg
Fzoul Chembryl

If you go to a mall or jewelry store you should be able to get engraving done very quickly. I was able to buy a pendant and get it engraved in an hour at a place in a local mall.
If this doesn't work; share with us the type of things she is interested in (if you know). Moosey's idea of buying a favorite book and then signing it sounds good.