Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2003, 04:13 AM   #1
Desdicado
Zhentarim Guard

My point is that there seems to have been a lot of rubbish RPGs released recently. ie

Wizardry 8 - The combat totally blew, and sucked.
Icewind Dale 2 - Far too linear
Pools of Radiance 2 - Terrible interface and performance
Neverwinter Nights - Only 1 character, not enough depth, too "consoley"

Where are all the classics like Might and Magic 6 & 7?. Baldurs Gate 1 and 2?.

Am I looking at the past through rose tinted spectacles, or am I right?.

What do you guys think?.

The only recent RPG I've not sold again on Ebay is Might and Magic 9.

[ 03-11-2003, 04:14 AM: Message edited by: Desdicado ]
Old 03-11-2003, 12:47 PM   #2
Angelousss
Red Wizard of Thay

you have to do some searching but good rpgs are out thier and more are in the works. a few years ago, proably around 3 or 4, the rpg was almost declared a dead genre, diablo, bg, and a few others brought it back bigtime. theres alot of expiermentation in the genre now. freedom force, arcanum(a little old but a very different setting), divine divinity, dungeon siege(hack and slash but gorgeous game), lionheart is coming up and that's got a interesting setting, arx fatalis(actually kind of a throwback), a big part of nwn is the multiplayer, Unfourtanetly i think mmorpg are sucking up alot of the ideas and talent. while they can be enjoyable(I played some AO and a few of the others could be good) but there seems to be to many out or coming out
Old 03-11-2003, 04:22 PM   #3
Alan_Sephiroth

I like rpg's like FF more than BG-like RPG's.Maybe you should play them, and Kingdom Hearts too.
Old 03-12-2003, 01:20 AM   #4
HolyWarrior
User Suspended for 2 weeks by Ziroc [Dec30]

Arrow

That's just your opinion. I think Wizardry 8's an excellent game, but I consider Icewind Dale mindless hack 'n' slash.
Whatever.
HolyWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 01:24 AM   #5
the new JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

I agree with Desdicado on this. CRPG's aren't as good as they used too.

I also agree somewhat with Angelousss in the sense that some games have brought new live into a termanally ill genre. I do, however, not agree with experimentation going on. What's going on today is that developers are trying to incorporate certain features from other genres into RPG's. Why ? To attract more customors. Most of the developing houses are taking a big wallup in the financial departement. That made them make games geared towards to bigger market. The RPG market, in comparison to other genres, is smallish. They are trying to attract buyers from other markets to buy RPG's. That's why their is so much talk about 3D, first person and real time all the way forgetting that these 'features' can't work in RPG's. At least no all of them. I can see 3D and first person (but only if the game is a new one or the previous ones used the same, i mean i can see first person in Might and magic games but not in Fallout for example) somewhat but real time, come on.
Old 03-12-2003, 03:10 AM   #6
Angelousss
Red Wizard of Thay

an interesting thing thats been happening for the last couple of years is rpg elements are making thier way into other genres.

examples, warcraft 3 the heros, or dues ex w/ skill and augs, or to a lesser extent many squad based fps reward you for keeping your squad alive by giving you points to spend, i'm not sure but i think ghost recon is the best example of this.
Old 03-12-2003, 07:24 AM   #7
Desdicado
Zhentarim Guard

I think Angelouss and JR have maybe have hit the nail on the head and identified something I've missed.
Maybe the marketing side of things has affcted the games production, in the past all the great games were driven by maybe one or two individuals with a big idea, ie the Ultima games and the Might and Magic games early on.
Now it's all big corporations aiming their games at 14 year old console players.

There are some role play elements creeping in to certain other games, I did enjoy Ghost Recon.
Old 03-12-2003, 08:56 AM   #8
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

*sigh. Lands of Lore 1... now that was a great game... *sigh
As the Dutch say; Vroeguhrrr was alles beter.
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 10:17 PM   #9
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Quote:
Originally posted by HolyWarrior:
I think Wizardry 8's an excellent game, but I consider Icewind Dale mindless hack 'n' slash.
Whatever.
Yea, I got bored of IWD, once I started. They don't have any monks! [img]tongue.gif[/img] And theres also no *interesting* plot
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 11:22 PM   #10
Mordenheim
Elminster

Lionheart should be good

I am waiting for this one also
http://www.troikagames.com/toee.htm
Mordenheim is offline   Reply With Quote