Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2002, 10:57 AM   #11
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Ok, here is my take on the situation:

Entertainment is vital because it consists of a simulation of life's struggles and triumphs, or failures.

Take pro sports, which was the initial reason I started this thread because of the "football" thread. You have two tribes on a field, fighting, or, in the case of tennis, two people fighting each other 1-on-1. Even though there is no real "death", it is a struggle to the death, i.e., the end of the game. The fan is on the edge of their seat, rooting...it becomes all-or-nothing to them, because it is a simulation of the primal struggle of life and death in a world that is now for a large part removed from that struggle on a day-to-day existence.

So Entertainment is metaphor for life and death. What else does it do?

It stimulates the imagination, which leads to higher forms of thought and creativity. Children learn best through play and experience, not by rote memorization. Watch a child of any species playing, and they are involved in a complex learning experience. Through their interactions with their environment, they learn to control their surroundings and their responses to their surroundings. This same principle extends well on into adulthood, even though the form of "play" changes, the principle remains the same. So, in effect, entertainment still simulates struggle and ultimate triumph, albeit on a higher thought level.

The same goes for theatres, plays, movies, and other forms of entertainment such as opera, music, ballet, and concerts. In watching a play, we identify with the actors and actresses' characters, their crises, and their ultimate resolution. We are able, in a way, to relieve some of our own problems and tension by watching the outpicturing of that of others' on stage or screen. Even the ancient Greeks used theatre in this way, called catharsis, to bring the audience to an emotional climax in order for them to release hidden tensions and stress. One feels rejeuvinated after such experiences, and able to face the world again.

With drama, this is done outwardly; with music, inwardly and on a highly subjective emotional level. Music is no less powerful than drama in precipitating emotional response, and in many instances can be more powerful since it affects us on a primal subconscious level.

So what is the ultimate payoff of entertainment; why do it? What is the payoff? Well, again I claim it's all about learning. We are all looking for heros to emulate. We all want to be as graceful as that ballerina, as perfect in our decisions and execution as that quarterback, as talented as that artist, as powerful as our character in a computer game. That satisfying feeling we get, at the end of any artistic performance, is really a form of "oh, so THAT's how it's done!"

We may never be able to emulate what we saw, but we are nevertheless a little bit wiser about the patterns of the world. And we need to be wise about the patterns of the world; the way that actions and emotions fit together.

Cheers,
-Sazerac

[ 06-03-2002, 11:01 AM: Message edited by: Sazerac ]

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 06-03-2002, 11:00 AM   #12
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
saz, you probably mean the taliban ? They don't allow entertainment, but their days are numbered so we can all have fun again.
Um...well, no, I wasn't really thinking of any one particular group, but perhaps that would fit...I've never met someone from the Taliban (and do not hope to do so!) so I really cannot have an opinion about that.

However, I do know a few groups of people, here in the United States, that think that any form of entertainment is a "sin." I can only imagine that their lives must be quite doleful. Even so, I would also imagine that they have other ways of providing "entertainment".

-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 06-03-2002, 11:04 AM   #13
Lord Shield

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
The point of WHAT, LS? Surely you have more of an opinion about it than just this?

The question was NOT badly phrased, unless all you do is read a topic title, fire off an answer, then leave...in which case it *IS* spam. There are some people even in the world today who believe that entertainment is frivolous and unnecessary, and those who believe that it is necessary and vital for health and well-being.

If you DON'T have more of an opinion about it than your answer, then...what's the point of responding?

-Sazerac
well, if the people who think it's frivolous want to live drab lives where thwey do nothing but exist that's up to them

I was referring to the point of living [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Old 06-03-2002, 12:48 PM   #14
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

I believe that entertainment can come in different forms. Friendship can be a form of entertainment. Plato listed friendship as a key factor to "the good life" and one of the three types of friends he discussed was the pleasurable friend. The pleasurable friend is one with whom the friendship is based around the fact that you find each others company mutually pleasurable. Humans seek pleasure in entertainment. Entertainment provides us with a diversion from the day-to-day monotony many of us are faced with. Friendship also provides us with a pleasurable diversion, and I believe therefore is a form of entertainment. When we are with friends we entertain each other. If you're still with me, since friendship can be a form of entertainment, and friendship/social needs are #3 on the hierarchy, entertainment in that form is a critical part of our daily lives and should be viewed as a social need.

[ 06-03-2002, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: MILAMBER ]
\"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.\"<br />-General George Patton (1885-1945)<br /> <br />Member of CLAN HADB<br />Founder of The Anti Clan Coalition
Old 06-03-2002, 03:02 PM   #15
Charean
Hathor

According to the game "Civilization" we do to keep the riots down! [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]

But I agree, if the brain isn't stimulated, you atrophy. Entertainment of any sort (except TV for some reason) stimulates brain waves and creates those synapses that make us smarter. So, without that, we would not progress, and without progress, what would be our reason for being?

Just some thoughts.
Old 06-03-2002, 03:24 PM   #16
Madman-Rogovich
Lord Soth

Okay nice topic.
I believe life is short, and will strive to fulfill it as much as i can, i believe enjoyment is a huge priority for if we were to live in misery then what would be the point. And so if enjoyment is a huge priority then what is the greatest source of enjoyment? - entertainment! Different people will of course be amused and entertained at some things and bored rigid by others, so i reckon the answer i would back would be, if entertainment isnt a necessity then how comes it is the biggest industry in the world???
Old 06-03-2002, 03:35 PM   #17
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

Entertainment isn't necessary, that is why i don't play video games unless they better more than just myself, and I don't like watching movies alone...
Old 06-03-2002, 03:39 PM   #18
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

life would be boring without entertainment... and then what would we do? probably riot, and destory stuff. , or not... ah who cares anyway?!
Old 06-03-2002, 03:52 PM   #19
Lord Shield

Quote:
Originally posted by /)eathKiller:
Entertainment isn't necessary, that is why i don't play video games unless they better more than just myself, and I don't like watching movies alone...
do you not enjoy yourself when you create sigs? art is also a form of entertainment

Old 06-03-2002, 03:53 PM   #20
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

If anybody thinks theres no need for entertainment then why are they here? Because its fun! I love entertainment! I'd go crazy without it! Well crazier I guess [img]tongue.gif[/img]