Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2002, 01:51 PM   #1
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Im confused... In BaldursGate the AC was as AD+D, the lower the better. In NWN Im not sure. When I get a better weapon It increases my AC! Is this right? Was I wrong to think that NWN followed AD+D rules like BG did?
Old 10-04-2002, 01:55 PM   #2
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

NWN follows AD&D 3rd Edition Rules, and now it is "the higher the better' for AC. I sold two good suits of armor when I first started playing because I didn't realize that...lol.
Old 10-04-2002, 01:58 PM   #3
LordKathen

Allrighty then... Thanks, I was trippin out there! Why did they change the rules? Its been that way forever! O-well, I guess I need to get the new book.
Old 10-04-2002, 02:12 PM   #4
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

It always confused me years ago that a better armor class had a smaller number, but I'd gotten used to it, and now it feels completely weird.

I don't play PnP anymore, but I ordered the Player's Guide last week, so I could read up on it. NWN was so different with skills and feats, I thought it would be worth it.

Now if Amazon would just ship the freaking thing...LOL!
Old 10-04-2002, 02:16 PM   #5
LordKathen

LOL. Right on man, this is wierd. I will read up on it to.
Old 10-05-2002, 12:59 AM   #6
Nerull
Lord Ao

Yes, it is a little wierd, but within the d20 system (the pnp system that the rules use), it makes perfect sense. Everything is based on rolling a certain number or higher to succeed at something. Instead of having a table of values (the old Thaco stuff), the target's AC is now the number you need to roll to make a hit. You just get bonuses to your attack rolls as you gain levels. The end result, once you do the math, is very close to being the same.

Example: Your 2nd level fighter swings at an average warrior in leather armor (no other AC or attack modifiers).

2nd edition: Your fighter's Thaco is 19 (it started at 20 at 1st level, and will improve by one every level you gain). The opponent's AC is 8 (the leather armor improves AC by lowering it by 2 points from the base 10). To hit the warrior you need a 19 - 8 = 11.

3rd edition: Your opponents AC is 12 (the leather armor improves their AC by 2 as before; it just adds to the AC instead of lowers it). Your fighter thus needs a 12 to hit. However, your fighter's base attack bonus is +1 per level, so you get +2 to the attack roll. Thus, you need at 10 to hit (10 + 2 = 12).

As you can see, very close. It just goes about things in a different way. If you think about it, everything else in the game works this way, too. For example, skills require a d20 roll equal to or higher than the Difficulty Class for the task for the skill to succeed, with your ranks in the skill adding to your roll. Saving throws have a Difficulty Class as well; you have to roll equal to or higher than the Difficulty Class to succeed, and you get bonuses on your save rolls as you go up in levels. In effect, the target's AC is the Difficulty Class that you need to equal or exceed to score a hit on the person, with you getting bonuses to your roll as you go up in levels.

Hope this clarifies things.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 04:59 AM   #7
Big Bad Bear
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Nerull, wasn't this changing of AC also not done to encourage "new blood" into the society? That's what my game store told me on my D&D "Baptism of Fire"...

It just makes more sense to roll equal to or higher rather than equal or lower...