Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2002, 06:24 PM   #11
snolprd
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I click the play button, and after 15 seconds, it drops back to my Windows screen, but the processor is still running, so I can't get the CD out of the drive without rebooting. I've tried all of the work-arounds on the official site, but nothing helps.
snolprd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2002, 06:45 PM   #12
slackerboy
Gold Dragon

hopefully somebody will release a no-cd patch soon
the copy protections are about pointless. all it does is prevent people who bought it from playing it.
Old 06-20-2002, 07:42 PM   #13
Granamere
Zhentarim Guard

If you have got to the play option have you ran the Update option? If that does not work for you get the patch from the link below.
http://nwn.bioware.com/support/patch_manual.html
Granamere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2002, 08:45 PM   #14
zlandar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I think a legitimate beef about NVWN is the dumbing down of the single player game. Yes I've read all the postings about how NVWN is all about multiplayer, but Bioware themselves kept claiming that the single player portion of the game was not going to get short-changed. After spending about 4 hours, a couple glaring problems come to light. The one henchman rule is absolutely silly. I came into NVWN expecting a similar experience to BGII and this one restriction makes this game play more like Diablo 2. If you like D2 then that's great, but it's frustrating to be forced to always lead the party if your playing a non-melee character, not to mention the dilemma of always lacking one of the three essential elements to a balanced party: healing, offensive magic, and melee. Now the combat itself despite those restrictions isn't bad at all, as I see my familiar and summoned pet dishing out insane amounts of damage compared to my silly frost stick. It's just that combat with such a small party seems far less tactical, and I was reminded of the too-simplistic autocombat of Dungeon Siege. There's alot of built-in limitations to designing challenging encounters if your limited to a two-person party The henchmen themselves are empty in terms of personality, lacking all the interesting quirks and personal histories present in the NPCs in BG2. Right now I could care less if my current henchman fell off the cliff, except I would be forced to rez him so I could make him my unlock/disarm bish. I never realized how interesting the back-and-forth banter in my BG2 party was; I always used the characters within the game instead of making my own because they provided so much entertainment and personality during the game. The bottom line is that this is not BG3, and ppl buying this game expecting that are going to be disappointed. It plays more like Dungeon Siege with increased depth in terms of combat. I haven't tried multiplayer yet and hopefully this will be as good as everyone claims it will be.
zlandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2002, 08:56 PM   #15
KAR_MOD1
Drow Warrior

besides the ability of having only 1 henchman, sometimes the geniuses will get stuck in or behind doors you cannot get into because they are locked and "barred from the other side", and they cant follow you out of the doors then. fortunately you can get them back if you go into a house or other part of the city (that requires loading).

[ 06-20-2002, 08:57 PM: Message edited by: KAR_MOD1 ]
Old 06-20-2002, 09:41 PM   #16
Madriver
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by zlandar:
I think a legitimate beef about NVWN is the dumbing down of the single player game. Yes I've read all the postings about how NVWN is all about multiplayer, but Bioware themselves kept claiming that the single player portion of the game was not going to get short-changed. After spending about 4 hours, a couple glaring problems come to light. The one henchman rule is absolutely silly. I came into NVWN expecting a similar experience to BGII and this one restriction makes this game play more like Diablo 2. If you like D2 then that's great, but it's frustrating to be forced to always lead the party if your playing a non-melee character, not to mention the dilemma of always lacking one of the three essential elements to a balanced party: healing, offensive magic, and melee. Now the combat itself despite those restrictions isn't bad at all, as I see my familiar and summoned pet dishing out insane amounts of damage compared to my silly frost stick. It's just that combat with such a small party seems far less tactical, and I was reminded of the too-simplistic autocombat of Dungeon Siege. There's alot of built-in limitations to designing challenging encounters if your limited to a two-person party The henchmen themselves are empty in terms of personality, lacking all the interesting quirks and personal histories present in the NPCs in BG2. Right now I could care less if my current henchman fell off the cliff, except I would be forced to rez him so I could make him my unlock/disarm bish. I never realized how interesting the back-and-forth banter in my BG2 party was; I always used the characters within the game instead of making my own because they provided so much entertainment and personality during the game. The bottom line is that this is not BG3, and ppl buying this game expecting that are going to be disappointed. It plays more like Dungeon Siege with increased depth in terms of combat. I haven't tried multiplayer yet and hopefully this will be as good as everyone claims it will be.
I've heard this also numerous times, and much as I sympathize with you that you don't get the party experience of BG2, the developers never claimed you would. They said they wouldn't skimp on the single player experience, and they haven't. But since you read about the skimping, didn't you read that you will only control one character? That has been said since development started, and it always annoys me when people quote some sayings from Bio but ignore others.

NWN is a game that is supposed to bring table top D&D to the computer, and in D&D you don't control more than one character. Comparing the game to DS is silly, just the character creation of NWN makes DS look like a Pong game from the early years.

If all you want is the single player party experience, save your money for Icewind Dale 2 (I'll play this too, looks good). But before you condemn NWN for using one character, try using one of the other 3 parts of the game...the toolset, multiplayer, and the DM client.

This game is made to be a social experience, give it a shot.
Madriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 04:43 AM   #17
Lanthir
Drizzt Do'Urden

Hmm I myself have found the AI great. The bad guys actually use tatics. My henchman actually knows what he is doing so I can just concentrate on Lanthir.