Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2002, 09:11 PM   #1
Evil Al
Drow Warrior

Here's a funnish aritical on spam email, writen by my big bro for the Budapest Sun, the only English speaking news paper in Hungary.
Take a look and see what you think:

Disguised loosely as some kind of meat product, Spam filled the sandwiches packed by my mother on school days when cheese spread was in short supply. I still remember the disappointment of finding Spam in my sandwiches and thinking how could a woman (who claimed to love me), feed this junk to her eldest son and the apple of her eye. Does this sound familiar?

I believe Spam was banned by the Geneva Convention sometime in the mid 1980s after several high profile court cases in The Hague.

Many years of Spam-free living have passed and I had almost forgotten all about the grayish-pinkish mess when I was called into a colleague’s office. He told me his Hotmail account was full of spam; clearly some kind of food-based dirty protest

Spam in cyberspace refers to unsolicited commercial e-mail that is sent directly to your mailbox inviting you to claim a free holiday, improve your golf or even obtain a university diploma without studying. In other words, junk e-mail sent to you at your expense.

Hotmail, who provide free e-mail to over 66 million users, in particular have come under pressure to protect their customers from unscrupulous Internet hawkers.

My colleague had not checked his Hotmail account for just under two months and was delighted to find 56 letters in his inbox. On closer inspection every single note contained a commercial message including a delightful offer of "I’ll show you mine if you show me yours". This was no reflection on his personal life, he assured me.

Microsoft, who run the Hotmail service, have introduced a series of filters to block unwanted mail but the perpetrators of Spam are always one step ahead of the game.

Of course, the global nature of the World Wide Web makes the Internet almost impossible to police and so it appears that without legislation little can be done to prevent your inbox and ultimately your wallet from being abused.
I\'m not bigheaded but go here and tell me just how sexy i am [url]\"http://www.faceparty.com/al_the_drunkard\" target=\"_blank\">www.faceparty.com/al_the_drunkard</a><br /><br />War in iraq? Not in my name!<br /><br />Disarm America.
Old 08-23-2002, 09:50 PM   #2
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

While spam is irritateing, I dont see how it costs people anything.All you have to do is hit the "delete' button.
Old 08-23-2002, 10:17 PM   #3
Evil Al
Drow Warrior

Well, it fills peoples email boxes up really fast. Esp. if you have the free account for hotmail. I've seen my account going over the limit with only 5 emails in my inbox!
I\'m not bigheaded but go here and tell me just how sexy i am [url]\"http://www.faceparty.com/al_the_drunkard\" target=\"_blank\">www.faceparty.com/al_the_drunkard</a><br /><br />War in iraq? Not in my name!<br /><br />Disarm America.
Old 08-24-2002, 02:27 AM   #4
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Well, it fills peoples email boxes up really fast. Esp. if you have the free account for hotmail. I've seen my account going over the limit with only 5 emails in my inbox!
Yes it is SO irritating when i fills up the account on Hotmail you must go there and delete it once a week!!
It is better to have a mail account by your ISP then you can have so many mails you want without this storage limit.

[ 08-24-2002, 02:28 AM: Message edited by: Megabot ]
Old 08-24-2002, 10:26 AM   #5
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hunter of Jahanna:
While spam is irritateing, I dont see how it costs people anything.All you have to do is hit the "delete' button.
It costs you because your ISP has to handle all the excess traffic on its servers, of which costs are passed on to you, either directly (higher rates or fees) or intrinsically (slower connection speeds, longer times to connect, disruptions in connection).

-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 08-24-2002, 10:39 AM   #6
Mojo
Elminster

I was in ASDA today, and I saw someting which mightily amused me. "Spam Lite". Not only was the spelling amusing, I found the entire idea amazing...I don't know a single person who enjoys eating Spam, do you? Anyone?

*tumbleweed rolls by*

I guess not then...

EDIT: Is Asda supposed to be spelt with capitals? I don't know...

[ 08-24-2002, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: Mojo ]