Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2002, 05:26 PM   #21
Nightowl2
Galvatron

In fact, all feats that have a stat requirement show the minimum to be an odd number, either 13 or 15. Of course, if you happen to have an odd stat above those numbers, it doesn't mean much.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 07:22 AM   #22
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Odds stats are like that because this is how they are in the pen and paper version.

And again, it's just about balance. They could have stats make a difference everytime, but then you would start with attributes from 1 to 9, and you would get a new point every 8 levels.
Old 11-06-2002, 07:45 AM   #23
Dturner
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'm a little curious: how are you getting to these high levels? I'm at the Dragon's eye and am only level 14 and having trouble getting XPs, I either get none or the amounts are dropping (I know the rules work that way). I've done all the side quests and things that I could fine, but its still creeping.

As for the Ability increases, the way the system works takes planning to develop the character like you want them, not end up with all 18's. I actually dislike the way feats are doled out and the choices, some of the best in the pen and paper game didn't make it here.
Dturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 07:49 AM   #24
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

The higher levels come from a few different methods. First (though I don't do it myself), if you play in Heart of Fire mode, you get more exp.

Second, if you have a smaller party, they will go up levels faster. You may want to add low level characters to the group as you go along to keep getting more exp.

Third, you can "level squat" - not take levels you've earned for a long time to keep your paty's average level down.

Basically the game looks at your party's combined average level when it gauges the difficulty of an encounter and grants exp.
Old 11-06-2002, 09:55 AM   #25
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

A full party would finish the game at level 16 average.
Old 11-06-2002, 11:50 AM   #26
toriuxik
Banned Smartass

I know thats how the pnp method works! lol, I spend too much time with the books. heh.

Yes, you need odd numbers for the feats, but, do you often just leave it at the odd number? or do you raise it by one to get the bonuses from it?

They wouldn't need to change that much. Just make make the bonus' go up EVERY level. This would help monsters as much as PC, as in 3rd ed, all monsters have stats.
toriuxik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 12:50 PM   #27
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

For Fighters I do with Int, if I am going for Expertise - no real benefits to bumping a Fighter's Int to a 14.