Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2004, 08:58 PM   #21
SMIV
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ok...I feel like an idiot. I can't (even with the intructions for the Inn Bug) get the money up in the "LOTS!" Can someone help me out here. I need...um...noobier instructions. I've got about 30,000 but I want the BIG money!
Old 01-24-2004, 11:02 PM   #22
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I never got the inn cheat to give me real big money. I make all mine the old-fashioned way -- arbitrage. That is, buying magic arrows at the warrior guild and then selling them right back. Doesn't take long to get into the big money that way. Take your 30,000, have someone join the warrior guild, and start stamping out gold pieces... [img]graemlins/twocents.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 11:52 AM   #23
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by SMIV:
Ok...I feel like an idiot. I can't (even with the intructions for the Inn Bug) get the money up in the "LOTS!" Can someone help me out here. I need...um...noobier instructions. I've got about 30,000 but I want the BIG money!
Okay -
Pool all your gold to one character.
Go outside the gates and save the game.
Go into town. Go to the inn.

Pool all the gold to another character.
Remove the character who originally had the gold from your party.
Add that character back into your party.

Take the whole party outside the gates and save the game again.

Go back to the inn and do it again (this time the character with the pooled $$ will have a larger amount so your funds will quickly increase).

The reason this works is the game recalls that character from the last save - when they still had all the gold so each time you remove them from the party and add them back to the party they have the money from the last save. Get it?

I once used this undocumented feature to make a friend over 15 mil.
Actually, I think the fletchery and other marketing ways of making money are more interesting but it's a personal call.

Have fun! Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 08:57 AM   #24
SMIV
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I hate to keep resurrecting this ThreaD, but I actually have a serious problem now.... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Anyone ever seen this problem before? I'm getting it on both the patched and unpatched versions. It causes it to crash btw... It happens whenever and too often imo. I just get fed up and go play CS... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

oh yea btw...thx Wyvern for REexplaining it to me... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 01-26-2004, 08:59 AM: Message edited by: SMIV ]
Old 01-26-2004, 01:31 PM   #25
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Okay, back to basics...

1. Have you set Win95 compatibility mode on the shortcut you're using to start the game?

2. What else do you have running (task manager listing)?

3. What video card and driver version do you have?

4. What are your virtual memory settings?

5. When was the last time you defragged?

6. What are your video settings within W&W?

7. What version of directX are you running?

Give that a start, and we'll see where we can go.
-+-+-+
Old 01-26-2004, 02:18 PM   #26
SMIV
Elite Waterdeep Guard

/me shivers...

Looks like we're gunna get a little dirty with that kinda info Bung...

1. No I haven't set Win95 mode yet...I'll try that first and get back with ya.

3. Radeon 9800 pro / driver:6.14.10.6396

4. I have default WINxpHE VMS.

5. About 2 weeks before I joined you all...and reinstalled W&W

6. Maxed out all the way...plz say this is okay...:|

7. DirectX 9.0b

That's my start now I'm ready to roll!! Lots of love here...mebbe too much
Old 01-26-2004, 10:55 PM   #27
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Okay...

The Win 95 compatibility tip comes from the Tech Tips thread, under "Win XP Memory Crashes". You might want to review the rest of that post (it's one of the first four on the page) for anything else related to XP.

Your system looks a little full at the moment. I trust there's less running when you're playing. At the least, I'd stop WS FTP and any messaging tools (IM, etc.). I'd also make sure to stop the Messenger service in Windows (disable it completely; you don't need it), and I'd probably get rid of BackWeb -- it's an adware monitoring tool, although it's not one of the more virulent ones.

I'd search through the board posts on drivers -- Willow has probably posted the best driver versions and codecs for a number of cards, and I trust her opinions. Heck, she might even show up in this thread [img]smile.gif[/img]

Default virtual memory settings are not usually much good. It's better to switch from a variable amount of fixed memory to a fixed amount, even though Windows gripes about it. I generally set my machines to 2-3 times the actual memory on the machine, and set the minimum equal to the maximum -- IOW, it's fixed. Fixed means it won't be fragmented, which can happen if it's variable. This machine, running Win98SE, has it set at 1536 for min and max.

As for game settings, specifics will help. If you're having problems, drop to software mode (instead of hardware), and scale things back. I don't recall the rest of the settings, but you're better off starting slow and then speeding up rather than slamming into the wall at full speed.

I think you'll see the best change from turning on compatibility. That's one of the common fixes to many problems.

Try it out, and then let us know how it's going. And feel free to start a new thread, since this is kind of buried back down here.
-+-+-+
Old 01-27-2004, 11:24 AM   #28
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
And yep, the patch disables a few preferred *ahem* features (where's Willow? )
Not the cheating debate again! [img]tongue.gif[/img] LOL

Welcome to the board SMIV. [img]graemlins/wavey.gif[/img]

Why would you want two copies if W&W on your computer? You do realise you can uninstall the patch right? Just write down what files the patch overwrites. To remove the patch copy those files from your W&W CDs and *tada* you have yourself an unpatched game once more. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Lord, have you tried copying the entire folder? AFAIK that won't work since installers usually register several file paths. I don't know the hierarchial structure of W&W's registry information but perhaps it could be possible to install the game twice. I highly doubt it though.

As Bungleau said you have several processes that you can disable. Browse through the lists here and check which one you can disable. However you probably need some odd 30 processes running.

Btw, I also dislike the 8 smilies rule since I love to use them in my posts.
WillowIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 11:57 AM   #29
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Are you not feeling well, Willow? I mean, you left two of the eight smilies unused. Family got you down? Things going okay at work?

Hmmm... I think I'd better run before I get thwacked
-+-+-+
Old 01-27-2004, 01:25 PM   #30
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by WillowIX:

Lord, have you tried copying the entire folder? AFAIK that won't work since installers usually register several file paths. I don't know the hierarchial structure of W&W's registry information but perhaps it could be possible to install the game twice. I highly doubt it though.
Actually, I haven't tested that out. I just figured that it should work (it's worked with other games)

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote