Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2005, 12:53 PM   #1
Laren Soth
Welcomed New User

Smiley

I know elvenstar started a topic on this already but I wanted to make a new one to make sure I got attention and I do need a bit more help with putting in new portraits than elvenstar.

I just got Ice Wind Dale from my older brother but he has no manual for it so I have no idea how to put these custom portraits into the game that I want.

Ive been looking thru google beyond imagination and all ive found was this answer: LOOK IN YOUR PLAYERS MANUAL...GRR!!! lol and then I did find this forum...so im hoping if anybody can tell me how to do this step by step...eitehr my posting on here...or can somebody add me to there messenger list?

MSN Messenger: FlippyXtrem@hotmail.com
AIM: chemosh87

O heres some of the custom pics I want to put in if your were wondering

thx for your time guys [img]smile.gif[/img]
Laren Soth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 04:54 PM   #2
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

For custom portraits, you need two sizes saved. with names 1-7 letters long.

XXXXXXXS.bmp for the small one
XXXXXXXL.bmp for the large

so, in my case, it might look like:

KyrviasS.bmp
KyrviasL.bmp

The S is for small, the L for large.

You would save these files in the folder named, "Portraits" obviously. You can find this folder by going to My computer- (C- Program Files- Icewind dale- Portraits

Hope that helps

[ 06-05-2005, 04:55 PM: Message edited by: Kyrvias ]
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 10:57 AM   #3
NobleNick
Quintesson

Laren,

[img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] . [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] . [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] WELCOME to the IWD forum! [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] . [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] . [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

I think you will find a copy of the manual on your IWD CD.

I am surprised that you didn't find a more helpful site on the web.

The IWD xxxxxL and xxxxxS portraits each have EXACT height and width requirements, in pixels, which you must match EXACTLY, to the pixel. You will have to shrink those pics of yours quite a bit.

There are other requirements, which are talked about in this forum. I haven't done the protrait swap recently enough to remember the requirements; but tinkered a bit.

I will take a look, and edit this post if I find some of the old helpful IWD posts that I know exist.

EDIT: Below is a good post from kroma. You can verify that he knows what he is talking about by following the link to his party that contains at least 3 modified portraits being used in-game.

Quote:
Originally posted by kroma:
Hi Bernardo,

Exact info on how to do this is on page 22 of the IWD manual, but basically you have to import 2 pictures. The small one has to be 36*58 pixels and the large one has to be 110*170 pixels.

The file names should be between 1 and 7 letters long with a S at the end for the small pic and a L at the end for the large pic.
The files need to be Bitmap files with the .BMP file extension.

Example:

MAGE1S.BMP (is 36*58 pixels, and must be 8-bit picture quality)
MAGE1L.BMP (is 110*170 pixels, and must be 24-bit picture quality)

Drop these two pics into the Portraits directory in the directory you installed IWD to, and then fire up the game. Hey presto, a new portrait to play with.

Check out my cool party!!

http://www.50firtree.freeserve.co.uk/lava.jpg

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!

[ 06-06-2005, 11:18 AM: Message edited by: NobleNick ]
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 02:10 PM   #4
Laren Soth
Welcomed New User

Smiley

Thank you Kyrvlas and NobleNick!!

Yea I got some of the pictures to work...had to edit them with photoshop and the Griffith picture looks really good [img]smile.gif[/img]

thx for your time guys, much appreciated

-Laren

p.s. NobleNick that chick in your party is a bit much eh? lol [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 06-06-2005, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: Laren Soth ]
Laren Soth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 01:25 PM   #5
NobleNick
Quintesson

Laren,

Heh, heh, heh. No that is not my party; it is kroma's. Are you talking about the gal with 49 HP or 66? They are both a bit over the top, eh? the 49 HP member makes a believable Mage, though.

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!
Old 06-15-2005, 06:08 PM   #6
kroma
Dungeon Master

Heheh, been a while since I checked in over here

And now I find my name being dropped all over the place! j/k

Whats so over the top about my two lovely ladies! Seem perfectly suitable pictures to use imo.

NobleNick, you are right - Xyryn is of course a mage, an Illusionist to be precise:

The other chick, Physka, is a Half-Elf Cleric:

But seriously, what is so over the top about those portraits?

[img]graemlins/question.gif[/img]
Old 06-17-2005, 12:19 PM   #7
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

I don't think they are over the top at all...

And your welcome Laren, glad to help.
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 03:31 PM   #8
NobleNick
Quintesson

kroma,

Cleric? My hairy-fully-humanoid behind she is.

Errmmm, how to put this delicately...

Your Mage is only a bit "over the top;" but your (giggle) Cleric looks like she's only interested in who's on top...

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!

[ 06-17-2005, 03:35 PM: Message edited by: NobleNick ]
Old 06-17-2005, 07:22 PM   #9
kroma
Dungeon Master

Kyrvias,

Thankyou! I dont see what all the fuss is about myself.

NobleNick,

[img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img]

Hm, well I think you're wrong. I think both are good portraits.

Care to tell me what exactly is "over the top" about my mage? And anyway, couldnt you say that Role Playing on the whole is slightly "over the top"? - by which I mean there is a huge scope for variety and possiblity within any game.

And about the cleric, are you saying that the portrait isnt suitable for a cleric but is suitable for other character types? - or are you saying that the picture isnt suitable for this game at all? She certainly fits the bill for me. I think she looks enough like a Half Elf, and I think she could certainly be a cleric of some form.

Sorry if it seems that Im taking this a bit personally, but you'll understand that I put a lot of work into my custom party and because they are custom it does kind of feel quite personal to me [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-17-2005, 11:08 PM   #10
Aerich
Lord Ao

Nothing at all strange about the mage IMO, but the cleric ummm... does not look chaste.

Not a criticism, btw. If you went to the effort to personalize your party and make up detailed histories, all power to you. Nothing says that a roleplayed cleric cannot be a hedonist (pretty sure I read something of the sort in some Forgotten Realms books).

That has to be some really strong elven chain, though.