Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2003, 09:49 AM   #1
MagiK

Are Muslims the only group likely to become "Radical Muslim extremists" or "Islamists". If so, does it not make sense for governments to watch these people more closely than they do other groups...like say....The Swedish, or the Dutch.

The answers to this question will revolve around racism, and religious persecution. The fact is, there have been no Swedish terrorists comitting
what by western standards would be called attrocities against civilians, the same can not be said of the Muslim community. So what is the answer?

Yes I know the Irish Catholics and the Irish Protestants are pretty nasty to each other and to Brits on occasion but mostly they don't bother the rest of the world.
Old 04-22-2003, 09:58 AM   #2
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
That's indeed a very tough question. For the answer you'll need to study their cultural and religeous background over hundreds of years. Good luck with that.

It's too easy to say they're just different from the rest of us, then again, maybe not.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:22 AM   #3
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
Are Muslims the only group likely to become "Radical Muslim extremists" or "Islamists". If so, does it not make sense for governments to watch these people more closely than they do other groups...like say....The Swedish, or the Dutch.

The answers to this question will revolve around racism, and religious persecution. The fact is, there have been no Swedish terrorists comitting
what by western standards would be called attrocities against civilians, the same can not be said of the Muslim community. So what is the answer?

Yes I know the Irish Catholics and the Irish Protestants are pretty nasty to each other and to Brits on occasion but mostly they don't bother the rest of the world.
Will the groups being watched more closely be defined by their religion, by their country of origin or by the colour of their skin?
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 10:28 AM   #4
Stratos
Vampire

Muslims are the ONLY ones that can become "Radical muslim extremists" or "Islamists" as their names implies, but not the only ones that can become fundamentalists. Being a fundamentalist or Islamists doesn´t necessariy makes them terrorists, it´s just a way on looking on a religion. Extremism and fundamentalism, and to some extent terrorism, are often caused by harsh and desperate living conditions. If you ask a terrorist there will probably be a tragedy or desperation behind their choice of actions. This doesn´t make it less of a crime.
They are probably looked after more closely already.
Again, extremism is not a specific muslim phenomena, it can happen anywhere.

As for the Swedes, which I happen to belong to, they (we) also have blood on their hands. The Swedish goverment sterilazed retarded and mentally deranged people with force not too long ago. There are talks going on right now to give them some kind of compensation for what they did to them. There´s also the fact that the Swedish security police made lists of people with far-leftish ideas so we are by no means completely innocent.

[ 04-22-2003, 11:36 AM: Message edited by: Stratos ]
Old 04-22-2003, 10:36 AM   #5
Masklinn

Quote:
Are Muslims the only group likely to become "Radical Muslim extremists" or "Islamists".
Yeah, I don't know any Protestants that became "Radical Muslim extremists" or "Islamists".
Sorry, it was easy, I know.

More seriously now :
- Was Hitler a muslim ?
- Was Timothy McVeigh a muslim ?
- Never heard of catholic extremists who bomb cinemas and kill doctors ?
- What would you do if you were born palestinian and muslim ? Considering the current world geopolitical scheme, can you tell me for sure that you wouldn't become a terrorist yourself ?
- Considering the huge number of muslims around the planet: what percentage of them are extremists ? The ones you see on TV are not the only muslims on earth you know.

The answer to your question is "No". It can't be that easy : world is not made of Good and Bad guys.

Extremists can come out of any country, from any religion. For example I consider you as an extremist for thinking that only muslims can become extremists. Thoughts like that are dangerous you know. But I can understand the reasons that make you believe that.

[ 04-22-2003, 10:37 AM: Message edited by: Masklinn ]
Old 04-22-2003, 11:07 AM   #6
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Stratos hit the nail on the head. Fundamentalist form of government is the problem. Muslim just happens to be the only religion on the planet that currently forms the basis for some fundamentalist governments.
Old 04-22-2003, 11:39 AM   #7
norompanlasolas

i would have to agree that muslims tend to produce more extremists right now, but this is a combination of 2 things. one is that hardcore religion does that, and the other was summed up perfectly by stratos. so a combination of dictatorial govts + religious extremism makes in this moment of age (as christianism was during the holy inquisition, for example) the muslim religion a fertil ground for extremism growth.

[ 04-22-2003, 11:41 AM: Message edited by: norompanlasolas ]
Old 04-22-2003, 01:00 PM   #8
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
Will the groups being watched more closely be defined by their religion, by their country of origin or by the colour of their skin?
Yes.
Old 04-22-2003, 01:03 PM   #9
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Stratos:
As for the Swedes, which I happen to belong to, they (we) also have blood on their hands. The Swedish goverment sterilazed retarded and mentally deranged people with force not too long ago. There are talks going on right now to give them some kind of compensation for what they did to them. There´s also the fact that the Swedish security police made lists of people with far-leftish ideas so we are by no means completely innocent.
A nasty and internal issue I would think, however...I havent head of any Swedish people hijacking planes to crash into buildings, or planting bombs in shopping centers...or for that matter I haven't heard of the Swedish people being particularly prone to suicide bombing...but since I have never been to sweden I can't say that you all are not planning on taking up such activities

Oh and that was a really good post on the Muslimm issue. But How are modern governments supposed to deal with the issue is my question [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 04-22-2003, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]
Old 04-22-2003, 01:06 PM   #10
MagiK

[quote]Originally posted by Masklinn:
Quote:
***SNIP silly non-sequitors that didn't apply because masklinn didn't read the whole post and apparently misinterpreted what he did read. SNIP***
Ok Masklinn reread my post and if you need some edification let me know. I am interested in your answer and hope you will do a re-read.