Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2003, 08:13 PM   #21
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by cloud ff7 38:
quote:
Originally posted by Firestormalpha:
Cloud, you're young so I don't know if you are familiar with th old "antique" NES system. A pleasant little 8-bit gaming system. People who judge games solely on graphics would hate the system now. I still love it. Anyways NES systems are notorious for losing connector receptivity over time. That and all the games with a savegame function are powered by a battery with a four year lifespan. For those of us who want to replay those older games it kinda screws things up.
Yes i am it was my first system i still play it somtimes and if you think my advice is bad you can shove it somwhere where the sun dont shine.
Oh and also if you think i judge game soley on graphics look at my thread in misc. game page 2 i believe I am totally against the whole graphics thing its all about gameplay too me.
[/QUOTE]I thought you got the message when we told you NO flaming and no personal attacks, cloud ff7 38. This is over the line and I'd wager you've earned a little vacation to cool off and think about things.
Old 11-12-2003, 08:51 PM   #22
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

Cerek, this means the system is dirty, a simple cleaning, that sould work, if not, there is one other option I do. it is simply blowing in the game cartridge, it may take a few times, but I find that it does work, and there is always the slightly hitting it, not hard enough to damage it, but it also works, lol, I know sounds like I am joking, but I am not, it does work, I have the nes, super nes, and the 64, and sometimes, the simplest things are often not thought of, sometimes it is dust in the carteridge, somtimes in the circuts, and other times, it is something that is blocking a wire in there, try that, a few times, it sould work
Old 11-12-2003, 11:33 PM   #23
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Stormymystic:
Cerek, this means the system is dirty, a simple cleaning, that sould work, if not, there is one other option I do. it is simply blowing in the game cartridge, it may take a few times, but I find that it does work, and there is always the slightly hitting it, not hard enough to damage it, but it also works, lol, I know sounds like I am joking, but I am not, it does work, I have the nes, super nes, and the 64, and sometimes, the simplest things are often not thought of, sometimes it is dust in the carteridge, somtimes in the circuts, and other times, it is something that is blocking a wire in there, try that, a few times, it sould work
The connectors, on the old system especially, were always a pain. Never seemed to connect right; everything from dust to just plugging the cartridge in wrong would cause it not to work. All of the things listed (pushing down, cleaning out the dust, rattling/hitting the machine, etc.) all worked. I remember having to fight something furious with some of my cartridges to get them to work.

I always hated the battery save feature. I always wished that they would have a plug in card of some sort that I could save the game on, or at least a way to change the battery. Once the battery died, the game is essentially useless unless you either finish the game in one sitting or play as much as you can and start over each time.

All of this talk about that old Nintendo system has me in the mood to play the old Legend of Zelda (the first one, with the top down view). I think I have my old system out in the garage somewhere...

I don't care what some people might think, but if you take graphics/sound out of the equation, many of those older games were very entertaining. I went back and played some of those older games (actually dusted off the old Atari 2600 and played Space Invaders and Adventure) and had a blast.

I have heard of emulators, but they are not legal, are they? Are the companies putting out their own emulators for the PC (hey, it would be a way to make money off of those old games still, if only a few bucks)?
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Old 11-13-2003, 02:04 AM   #24
Svaerdhelgon
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by Nerull:
I have heard of emulators, but they are not legal, are they? Are the companies putting out their own emulators for the PC (hey, it would be a way to make money off of those old games still, if only a few bucks)?
Thay are very much legal, IF you already own the game

edit:so you could dl zelda and it would be legal [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 11-13-2003, 02:06 AM: Message edited by: Svaerdhelgon ]
Old 11-13-2003, 02:21 AM   #25
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
My personal opinion? Nintendo isn't making anymore money off of the old systems like NES or SNES. They should let Roms be distributed as freeware to those who still want them. Most of todays generation would balk at the games I used to play.(They're addicted to the graphics qualities of today) I'm not condoning piracy mind you. As long as the Roms are still illegal I'll stay out of em. Doesn't change my opinion though. The redistribution of pre-owned games doesn't net the gaming companies anything. The money goes to the owners of the games and the companies who buy the games off of the citizenry. I do think it's rather stupid that they have N64, PS, etc. in Roms now. Those should definately remain contraban for now.

[ 11-13-2003, 02:23 AM: Message edited by: Firestormalpha ]

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Old 11-13-2003, 02:48 AM   #26
Chewbacca
Zartan

Actually Nintendo still profits some from NES/SNES games. Take for instance the iQue Player that has been designed for the piracy-laden Chinese market.

Also, iirc, they have recently re-released (in japan) a special anniversary model of the SNES, or SuperFamicom as it is know in Japan.

They may not profit NOW from the American/European market with regards to the old systems but they have a vested interest elsewhere and for the future to curb piracy and grey areas like unofficial emulators.
Old 11-13-2003, 03:07 AM   #27
Link
Jack Burton

Best game ever on the NES is definitely Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers. I played that game sooo much!
Old 11-13-2003, 03:35 AM   #28
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Link:
Best game ever on the NES is definitely Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers. I played that game sooo much!
Me too! It was the best! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-13-2003, 04:19 AM   #29
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by cloud ff7 38:
quote:
Originally posted by Firestormalpha:
Cloud, you're young so I don't know if you are familiar with th old "antique" NES system. A pleasant little 8-bit gaming system. People who judge games solely on graphics would hate the system now. I still love it. Anyways NES systems are notorious for losing connector receptivity over time. That and all the games with a savegame function are powered by a battery with a four year lifespan. For those of us who want to replay those older games it kinda screws things up.
Yes i am it was my first system i still play it somtimes and if you think my advice is bad you can shove it somwhere where the sun dont shine.
Oh and also if you think i judge game soley on graphics look at my thread in misc. game page 2 i believe I am totally against the whole graphics thing its all about gameplay too me.
[/QUOTE]Cloud, unfortunately you're going to be taking a break from Ironworks for a couple of weeks. You've been warned enough times by Cloudy - you're obviously not learning, mate. [img]smile.gif[/img]

While you're away could I ask you to use the time to think about the way you interact with people who may disagree with you, and think about how you can react to them in a more gracious manner and not lose your temper and tell them to "shove things up wherever"?

You're better than this, mate. See you in a couple of weeks - and I hope you'll have learned by then. Cheers. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 11-13-2003, 04:24 AM: Message edited by: Memnoch ]

Old 11-13-2003, 05:51 AM   #30
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

WOW!!!! [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img] I never thought this thread would be THIS popular. Looks like I've fostered a lot of nostalgia for some of our members.

As for the all the advice, I sincerely appreciate it. The system seems to work OK now. I DID clean the system as thoroughly as I could (using alcohol on the connections and a Keyboard Air Cleaner to clean out the dust. While I still have some problems getting the system to work, I've found the easiest way to get it running is to just let the kids have at it. I spent almost 20 minutes yesterday morning trying to get Super Mario Bros working (never did get it to work right). I was gonna use it to wake the boys up. I finally gave up and went to shave and brush my teeth. By the time I got back, my oldest was awake and playing Super Mario. So I just leave it to them to get it running.

Duck Hunter is MY favorite game. I made it to Level 13 and scored over 200,000 pts my second try. Thought I was hot stuff...then my 5 yr old also made it to Level 13 [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img] (although my score was still higher).

Also, I have made arrangements to aquire an N64 system - thanks to the help of one of our own members. (Thanks again, Chewbacca) [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]