Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2004, 03:19 PM   #1
Jorsh
Dungeon Master

Why is it that Imoen can be raised from the dead? When I die I go to join up with Bhaal's issence and so did Sarevok. I just don't understand why Imoen didn't do the same. She even talks about what happened when she died and how she hadn't been really did or something to Sarevok, but I never did understand why she wasn't dead for good everytime she died.

Also Yoshimo. Is he a Bhaal Spawn? I remember one time talking to him and I told him I was a child of Bhaal and he said he had to think about it. But I don't remember ever hearing him bringing it up again. It sounded almost like Yoshimo thought he was a bhaal spawn or something. This would explain also why the fate can't bring Yoshimo back to join you. Maybe because he was a child of bhaal and the fate spirit doesn't have any control in bringing children back, but then it is able to bring Imoen to the pocket plane, so I'm not sure.

Anyways, what's the deal with Imoen?
Jorsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 03:32 PM   #2
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Imoen`s diffrent I guess, I don`t know. Yoshimo is definitly not a Bhaalspawn.
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 04:10 PM   #3
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Actually, the only Bhaalspawn that visibly "dissolve into energy" and get sucked back into Bhaal's essence are Sarevok and yourself. There are other Bhaalspawn that can be seen to die during the course of the game, and their bodies lie on the ground just like anyone else's.

But I'll assume you meant the "can be raised from the dead" aspect of Imoen--it might be that that's one of her Bhaalspawn powers: She retains her soul and essence until her physical body has decayed past the point of successful resurrection. Or maybe it's because BioWare didn't add the scripting that says whenever Imoen dies, she dies permanently.

Yoshimo is not only not a Bhaalspawn, but he's also dead by the time you reach the Fate Spirit. The Spirit can only summon living souls, who are also connected with your fate, to you. (The possibility of leaving Yoshimo in the Copper Coronet, and never going there ever again, meaning he's technically still alive when you enter ToB, might still have merit, though.)
Old 04-30-2004, 12:51 PM   #4
Feral
Elminster

My vote is that BioWare realized that most NPCs will die at some point during the game, so making Imoen impossible to resurrect would ensure that very few players (other than dedicated re-loaders) finish the game with her. And that would be kind of sad.

Pretty prosaic, but you're not likely to find an in-game explanation. No more likely than an answer to the age-old question "Where did Imoen's belt come from and how did Irenicus take it off?"
Old 04-30-2004, 02:18 PM   #5
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by SixOfSpades:
Actually, the only Bhaalspawn that visibly "dissolve into energy" and get sucked back into Bhaal's essence are Sarevok and yourself. There are other Bhaalspawn that can be seen to die during the course of the game, and their bodies lie on the ground just like anyone else's.

But I'll assume you meant the "can be raised from the dead" aspect of Imoen--it might be that that's one of her Bhaalspawn powers: She retains her soul and essence until her physical body has decayed past the point of successful resurrection.
Perhaps we should give credence to that theory. While out there, it would also explain why she didn't follow Bodhi during the final vampire battle.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 03:09 PM   #6
jcompton
Elminster

Because Imoen is a Plot Convenience Bhaalspawn, and given Bioware's silly plot twist, they felt it was more sensible to make Imoen not behave like other Bhaalspawn than to have to explain why you can raise her in BG1.
Old 04-30-2004, 05:23 PM   #7
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Well it is supposed to be said that Imoen's essence of Bhaal is weaker, since you are having that certain "calling" and she isn't having those. Basically they are making it look like her Bhaal essence is "negligable", and it was just a silly plot for them to link you and Imoen with that "closeness" you had in BG. To be frank, it disappointed me because I want a romance with Imoen, heck after all you have been through together? Oh well. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Bahamut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 08:15 PM   #8
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
There *is* such a romance, though. Check the mod thread.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 01:14 AM   #9
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Yes I know that Illumina. I got all excited about it... but hey... that whole sister thing just ruined it for me...
Bahamut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 01:28 AM   #10
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

The game designers overlooked it. They're only human, we've gotta cut them some slack. Considering how huge and complex the BG saga is, I think they did quite well to only have a few such inconsistencies left in the game by the time it was released. And hey, things like this serve as grim reminders that it's just a make-believe computer game