Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2004, 09:49 AM   #1
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

I was looking at Animal's thread, and it got me to thinking when I first got on the internet, what I did when I was online.

I remember it pretty well, was about six years ago around Christmas time, in the middle of the night, my dad says that we were able to connect to the internet. Because no one knew how to do it correctly around this area, oddly, it took a few months to get connected so we were pretty happy when we did it. I got on, and the first place I got into was an online chatroom with a couple of people already in it. The website it was on was called Liveuniverse.com, and it was filled to the brim with imaginative people and they weren't perverted or foul mouthed like most people in chatrooms are these days. Had some great people in it, was on it all through Christmas mostly, and it held out for a few years before it shut down.

So, what did you do when you first went online?
Old 07-03-2004, 09:53 AM   #2
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
Yeah, it's hard to find decent people on the internet nowadays. Thanks God for Irownworks [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

IIRC, I played on some games at arcadepod.com... The first game I ever played was a platform game with a ghost. And maybe I found out some info about space, I can't remember that well.
Old 07-03-2004, 02:35 PM   #3
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Yahoo chat, plenty of good folks way then. Made some friends and loose all of them when I decided that late night chatting just wasn't going to work out for me. Switch to forum posting and downloading p0...ahem... multimedia files instead.

[ 07-03-2004, 02:35 PM: Message edited by: Paladin2000 ]
Old 07-03-2004, 03:19 PM   #4
philip
Galvatron

Don't know what I did exactly when we first got internet. Think I searched some sites for Magic the Gathering.

But just a few days ago I had a new first time on the internet with linux in the command line. I checked my own site to see how much a command line program could see, nothing.

Today I'm on the net for the first time in linux desktop and this is the second site I went to. First was the site for the online game Utopia.
Old 07-03-2004, 03:44 PM   #5
Jorath Calar
Harper

Lets see, the first time was sometime in april 1996 in a library. Had no idea what to do, had read about this odd thing in a Atari Format magazine so I tried their website. it lasted only half a hour.
I didn't get a connection at home until januray 1997, then the first thing I did was look up some Star Wars sites on Yahoo. And I remember shortly after I found www.smashing-pumpkins.net and tried chat for the first time... and met some nice people... [img]smile.gif[/img]
I've pretty much been online since except from april to november of 1999... very poor time for me [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-03-2004, 03:51 PM   #6
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion
hmm, i think i set up an e-mail, my first few times, and also, i found ign.com. Looked up all kinds of video games there! Too many pop-ups, there, now, though.
Old 07-03-2004, 04:06 PM   #7
Animal
Gold Dragon

Long before the internet, I used a service that was called iNet. I think it's long since gone now, but that was the days of the 300baud modem, where you actually had to place the receiver of your telephone in the cradle.

You could actually type faster than the screen would display the words that were "downloaded." I don't recall exactly what I did, because at that time there wasn't really much to do.

I was out of touch with computers from the late 1980's to the end of the 90's, and let me tell you, it was staggering at the advancements that had been made.

I used to program using GW Basic back in the 8086 days, since that was really the only language available. I dabbled in Pascal and Fortran in University, but today with Java, C+, C++, it sounds more like you need piano lessons to program a computer.
Old 07-03-2004, 04:34 PM   #8
Arvon
Unicorn

My first real net experence was at 3DO. tring to get clues for one of the MM games. Meet a lot of great people there. Wonder where they all went.

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Old 07-03-2004, 04:37 PM   #9
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

I think I was playing UT. But I started to enjoy when I got registerd here and posting. Posting rules! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-03-2004, 04:43 PM   #10
aleph_null

I played Doom

This was in early '94, I think, before I had "internet" access, but it was my first network experience. The local college CS dept had setup a little modem pool so you could call it and get in on the game. I spent my first hours with by brand new modem cursing the guys actually on the LAN...

... whatever genius decided to use broadcast packets for bullets hadn't thought of modem users w/chain guns [img]tongue.gif[/img]