Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2001, 10:20 AM   #1
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

My post about Tony Blair in the war forum, was actually meant to show a certain appreciation of both him and of Britain.

Like it or not, to many outside Bonny Britain, he is the face of O'l Blighty. Well, it's either him or Lizzy, so take your pick.

The blow-up in my face of what was a positive statement was very odd. Anyone would have thought I'd insulted the country, but instead I, an Australian supposedly with all sorts of stigmas against the convict sending mother country was praising the nations leader.

Instead of flatly criticising my views, could we not have observed that he obviously is viewed differently outside his nation than in. The venom was astounding to say the least. I can't even vote for him - or Bush for that matter.

I've been realising that we cannot escape geography - where we live -affecting and shaping our viewpoint.

My own views for example, have shifted slightly depending on where I've been in the world in only these few months.

It was said that my views reflected "middle America". Should that not say something? That an Australian, placed in another land starts sharing the views of those around?

It is no secret phenomena the effect of environment on collective psychology. I've read books on the Russian, German and Australian collective psychology, and experienced mild shifts myself firsthand.

I do, when travelling attempt to immerse myself in the culture as if I were born there or would stay forever. Kind of like a wierd role-play I guess. Attempting to see and experience how "the other half live" so to speak.

However, when one enters an existing collective psychology, one either moulds to it, finds compatible elements, or reactively rejects. Clinging to the original culture and self-identity.

Or they do all of this and I'm talking out of my date.

Back to my BG2 game, Duncan Sheikh/Sting/Coldplay CD repeats and glass of Grand Marnier I guess.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 11-17-2001, 10:23 AM   #2
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Oh, and not the edible "date" either.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 11-17-2001, 09:47 PM   #3
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Hey Yorick! Where are you these days? I'm back in upstate NY again. Got a nasty cold, though. Middle America, huh? Well, welcome to my world, dear.

Cloudy