Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2003, 08:23 PM   #1
wellard
Dracolisk

OK into the computer goes my new off the shelf *in new packaging* CD. loads up fine and runs fine. Now comes time for update. So i click onto the site and WTF! 32mb of upgrades [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img] they have got to be kidding!

Ive a dial up conection which would take hours I understand the need for a few updates but this is taking the mickey. If a cd is new it should be closer to the currant mod status than this. Who the hell do they think they are? what crap! The CD comes in a new shiney box but it is a 2 year old cd inside?

*rant / fume ect *

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 08:31 PM   #2
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Your version should be newer. Perhaps the store had it for a long time? It used to take me about an hour on dial-up to patch my game. I usually connected at 54k however, so you may be on 20 some. But an hour is not bad at all.

Next time you go out somewhere just patch it, that's what I used to do. I'd come back a few hours later and it'd be done.
Old 08-25-2003, 08:46 PM   #3
Granamere
Zhentarim Guard

You see this is why you are not a true NWN fan. [img]smile.gif[/img] If you were you would already have all the patches downloaded and ready before you bought the game. [img]smile.gif[/img] I am just joking! OK to start off with go to this page.

http://nwn.bioware.com/support/patch_english.html

Figure out what version you are running. Then hit

http://nwdownloads.bioware.com/never...patch/english/

And see if you can grab a smaller upgrade like nwn_pc_english_from1116711_to1286756.zip which would bring you from 1.11 to 1.28. Just read the first three numbers. This upgrade is only 21 megs. [img]smile.gif[/img] Then when you upgrade using the normal updater you will only have to upgrade 10 megs or so.

Granamere

Why oh why do I think the questions will start to follow this post? [img]smile.gif[/img]
Granamere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 05:02 AM   #4
andrewas
Harper

They dont normaly update the CD unless it has a major problem or a new edition comes out. If you really want to avoid the 30 Mb download, you could buy SoU which will patch you up to 1.30 .
Old 08-26-2003, 07:37 AM   #5
wellard
Dracolisk

Thanks for the tips in geting around the problem. But the issue still remains the same. This is a new CD so it should be closer to the currant mod status. Why do we allow ourselves to be treated this way?

car salesman... "yes sir, we know you bought that car brand new this week, and the brake problem was identified a year before your car was made, just leave it in our workshop and we will get around to fixing it"

This games industry needs a good slap! *rant over* [img]tongue.gif[/img]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 10:21 AM   #6
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Wellard, the original NWN is quite buggy, so you do want that patch. How about turning on the download when you go to bed, and posting a "do not touch" sign on your computer? [img]graemlins/monster1.gif[/img]

[ 08-26-2003, 10:28 AM: Message edited by: Attalus ]
Old 08-26-2003, 10:29 AM   #7
Granamere
Zhentarim Guard

I agree with you it seems like it would be very simple but it really would be far from it. You would have to update the master cd at the factory. Now your tech support staff has a new thing to worry about. What version of cd protection is on this cd? Is it different than the last. What problems will it cause? If a customer that had the first version of the cd installed and his cd breaks and he gets a new version of the game will it work? Can you begin to see the problem with all of this. As consumers we just want it to work never be broken. Bioware does a good job of supporting the product and part of the 30 megs of stuff is not just bug fixes. It is also new monsters and content. Getting SOU is a really good idea. It will bring you up to 1.30 which means you would only need to get one patch. [img]smile.gif[/img]

One other note. Bioware has planned a NWN gold version which will be out this fall. I am sure it will have all of the latest patches on it.

Granamere
Granamere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 03:20 PM   #8
Chewbacca
Zartan

SoU, the first expansion, is pretty cheap if you shop around. It patches the game up nice and almost current to 1.30, so you would only be one update behind.

Oh it's a kick ass expansion as well!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bioware tends to add new content like monsters and such to the game via patches, they have a "live" team dedicated to adding to and improving the game this way. Its very unusal that a gaming company would put resources like a dedicated team for a product that is anymore than a few months old. So I've gotta give kudos to BioWare for the updateseven if they are mammoth downloads all at once.
Old 08-26-2003, 04:24 PM   #9
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Plus the upgrade from SOU 1.3.0 to 1.3.1 is only 7 megs +/-. [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 10:31 PM   #10
perlninja
Dungeon Master

Just fire up your dial-up connection and have it downloading overnight while you sleep. Or perhaps a broad band connection is a feasible option? Keep in mind too that these games are dynamic and fairly massive, 32M is not that large for a series of patches. And to hear you speak of how we "let them treat us this way" you'd think this was a social injustice rather than a game-associated inconvenience. Stop whining.
perlninja is offline   Reply With Quote